• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington PD defend innocent civilians from crime of solicitation of the constitution

stealthyeliminator

No, someone else already said it - it's not a free speech issue - it's a public safety issue. If the car is legally parked, you can still hand the occupants literature from the sidewalk.

The claim is probably that it's a safety issue. That it actually is a safety issue hasn't been proven. In fact, I think there is far more evidence to the contrary, given the group has handed out many pamphlets at these intersections without incident.

It has not been proven what the intent is behind prohibiting the distribution of these pamphlets. That it's due to safety concerns is pure speculation.

It is quite possible that the officers or their command are using the city ordinance for the specific purpose of suppressing the group's activities as much as possible. and if that is the case then this instantly becomes a free speech issue.

Last edited:

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
Falsely shouting "Fire" in the crowded theater scenario is actually a case of Fraud. By doing so the owner is deprived of the receipts from the ticket sales. Everyone who exits the theater because of the fraudulent claim of "Fire" will want compensation for their loss, i.e. refund or free ticket(s) at a future date.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Falsely shouting "Fire" in the crowded theater scenario is actually a case of Fraud. ....

Especially in older times, it was a far more dangerous issue than that.

Before fire exits were regulated and planned well, it was extremely likely that major injuries and deaths would occur from a fire panic in a crowded theater. It is still a cause for concern.