• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One of the most powerful pieces of 2A testimony I've seen.

Taypo

She told her story .. I was not particularity moved by it it.

You can choose to be moved by it or not, thats all you. Her testimony (among others) and that particular incident are what paved the way for the current Texas laws. I'd say that the Luby's Massacre, while tragic and heartbreaking, saved a bunch of lives in the long run.

utbagpiper

Banned
... I'd say that the Luby's Massacre, while tragic and heartbreaking, saved a bunch of lives in the long run.

To be clear, what saved a bunch of lives in the long run was that Dr. Hupp chose to put in the personal time and energy to make sure this incident wasn't forgotten and wasn't used to advance an anti-RKBA agenda. Rather, she (and it certainly helped that she is a woman) turned this crime into Exhibit A for why law abiding Texans needed the legal the ability to carry a gun for self-defense on a daily basis. She wasn't afraid or intimidated. She told her story. And she did so with grace and articulation.

According to research by Lott and others, there are hundreds of thousands of persons every year who could do something similar with their personal experiences of using a gun to defend themselves. There are many survivors of violent crime who were not able to defend themselves who have decided they won't rely on luck next time. These persons also have powerful personal stories to tell.

Such stories tend to evoke both reason and emotions in favor of RKBA. We need to encourage and assist those with these experiences to share them to the benefit of RKBA.

Charles

Turbod'1

She told her story .. I was not particularity moved by it it.

I'm a little confused by how you mean that... Are you saying it wasn't emotional enough? Dramatic enough? Inarticulate? What does it take, in your words, to be moved?

If this is the testimony that's been around for years (I don't do Facebook), I found her narrative quite compelling.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm a little confused by how you mean that... Are you saying it wasn't emotional enough? Dramatic enough? Inarticulate? What does it take, in your words, to be moved?

If this is the testimony that's been around for years (I don't do Facebook), I found her narrative quite compelling.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp - a woman for all seasons.
icon14.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp

davidmcbeth

Banned

Telling folks a story to highlight how possessing firearms helped her ? eh. Not interested in emotional stuff like that myself.

Our RKBA is a natural right ... explaining it to lizzurds .... will not change any of their minds.

The lizzurds are more than happy to have had a different outcome for this citizen.

Rights are always maintained, in the end, by force.

Turbod'1

Grapeshot said:
Suzanna Gratia Hupp - a woman for all seasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp

Oh, I know who she is and I found her testimony compelling and what she went on to do after rather inspiring!

Telling folks a story to highlight how possessing firearms helped her ? eh. Not interested in emotional stuff like that myself.

Our RKBA is a natural right ... explaining it to lizzurds .... will not change any of their minds.

While that MIGHT be true it may equally be true that "leaders" with no particular agenda might find such an 'appeal to emotion' [in her case I'd say logic] a deciding factor. Look at it this way: every time there is a 'mass shooting' there are always parents who come out and decry guns and it seems moderately effective as well.

The lizzurds are more than happy to have had a different outcome for this citizen.
And for those types NO amount of logic will satisfy them. That said, if you didn't find her measured testimony to be beneficial to RKBA as a whole, you leave me confounded.

Rights are always maintained, in the end, by force.
As are LAWS in general; any law broken will eventually lead to men with guns coming to get you at some point. Let's try to stick together as gun owners and leave the in fighting to the anti's. :)

solus

she has had time and did stage her presentation to near perfection...just as giffords, brady, etc. for the opposing team

there are many ways to assuage one's conscience, they found one that works, as well as providing power and income for their performances.

ipse