• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dealing with NEWBIES

Leatherneck

We recommend this forum to people who have questions and want to talk with like-minded people. However, we can be pretty harsh when they get here.

I haven't been on this board as long as many people here, but I've noticed people come and go. Some of those leaving weren't here very long. They ask a question like "Can I carry a loaded weapon in my car?" and they get a flame job. Sure, we know the question has been asked and they'd find it if they read through the 258 pages of threads. But they don't know the question has been asked.

I was blasted after my first post for asking a question which brought up an old post. I considered not returning. That isn't the way we want people treated when they are new to the OC way of life. We need to be more considerate.

May I suggest that if a question has been asked for the 1,001st time - post "pm sent" and let the thread die. Then send a pm with the answer or a reference to a former thread. Maybe even tell that person they can contact you with further questions. It could be more of a mentoring moment.

So in summary I'd like to just say, if we're going to bring people in, lets not beat up on them for asking questions we already know the answers to.

My $.02

Thanks.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I agree. Before this forum, I had found another forum that helped with firearm questions about laws and such and I was very put off. As soon as I had mentioned OCing and asked for advice about being asked to leave a store I was flamed with MANY responses telling me that I was stupid and they didn't like the way I carried. After that initial flaming, I decided they weren't worth my time and I haven't been back to their forum.

Remember, you may have seen their post a hundred times and dealt with "newbies" thousands of times, but this is their first time and you're making their first impression. =]

mparramore

We recommend this forum to people who have questions and want to talk with like-minded people. However, we can be pretty harsh when they get here.

I haven't been on this board as long as many people here, but I've noticed people come and go. Some of those leaving weren't here very long. They ask a question like "Can I carry a loaded weapon in my car?" and they get a flame job. Sure, we know the question has been asked and they'd find it if they read through the 258 pages of threads. But they don't know the question has been asked.

I was blasted after my first post for asking a question which brought up an old post. I considered not returning. That isn't the way we want people treated when they are new to the OC way of life. We need to be more considerate.

May I suggest that if a question has been asked for the 1,001st time - post "pm sent" and let the thread die. Then send a pm with the answer or a reference to a former thread. Maybe even tell that person they can contact you with further questions. It could be more of a mentoring moment.

So in summary I'd like to just say, if we're going to bring people in, lets not beat up on them for asking questions we already know the answers to.

My $.02

Thanks.

I have to say "I agree." Including racism, I am not going to say names but I have read something about nuking the Japanese quote"it wouldnt take an invation force to make the japs crap themselfs, just a couple of bombers with some tiny bombs that will make you glow in the dark,,,,"
Being half Japanese and having served our country for over 10 years and swore an oath to defend our constitution.. Then I run into a racist pig on our site. So many NON WHITE people have defended and died for this country. One of the greatest units in the Army was the 442nd INF . Who were Japanese. Fought the Germans while being prejudiced in the U.S. Died in Europe so an idiot can call racial remarks about a race.
One more thing...go back to school and learn some grammar.

Tomas

+10, Mr. Parramore.
________

One of the pleas I make to the folks on my sites is that if a n00b stumbles in and asks an old tired question that you think they should have been able to find the answer to themselves, don't yell at 'em and call 'em stupid - welcome them, make that search you think is so easy, and refer them right to the answer on that older thread.

You will have helped a n00b not be a n00b, and probably made OpenCarry.org a new friend.

It doesn't cost any more to be nice than it does to be nasty...
________

Alternatively... http://tijil.org/n00b_stew.gif :lol:

Deleted_User

+1 to the OP

A great reminder. I was treated well when I came along but have seen others not so much. This doesn't only mean here. I am a member of a few forum and actually run one. Take the time to help those along. We should have an Adopt-A-Newbie campaign. Can we vote on it? *ducks and covers*

Batousaii

Excellent!

I think your post is 100% spot on. I almost left the site myself once feeling let down by some of the treatment i had received. However, i also know many more really good folks here too, and alas, those good folks are my reason for staying. I tend to agree, people get a bit puffy and pampas here sometime, and of late I simply equate it to the "nerd rage" that I have often experienced on World of Warcraft. So, to all you excellent helpful polite types.. "THANK YOU"... and to all those that like to "Nerd Rage" behind the keyboard.. well.. suppose I'll see you on WoW too.

- Happy Hunting.... er... Keep America Free ( - Ding! - i think i leveled! - Anyone know where i can get my flying mount? please don't flame me...)

:dude: Bat.

Deleted_User

I think your post is 100% spot on. I almost left the site myself once feeling let down by some of the treatment i had received. However, i also know many more really good folks here too, and alas, those good folks are my reason for staying. I tend to agree, people get a bit puffy and pampas here sometime, and of late I simply equate it to the "nerd rage" that I have often experienced on World of Warcraft. So, to all you excellent helpful polite types.. "THANK YOU"... and to all those that like to "Nerd Rage" behind the keyboard.. well.. suppose I'll see you on WoW too.

- Happy Hunting.... er... Keep America Free ( - Ding! - i think i leveled! - Anyone know where i can get my flying mount? please don't flame me...)

:dude: Bat.

OT: Gratz on the level

There's a quest in Archosaur to get your lvl 30 flying mount :) *Depends on what game you play*

.45ACPaddy

Just let us know when you need your epic flying mount, Bat!

I agree with the OP. If they ask a question that's in the FAQ's, post a link to that thread or post a link to title 9 chapter 41 of the RCW. They'll need to study it in its entirety anyhow so they know what's what.

Just so we have it, here's the link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Metalhead47

While I most certainly agree with the OP that new posters deserve a little more respect, I think it's more of a general interwebz thing than anything unique to us... couple other forums I'm on that have NOTHING to do with firearms are also pretty quick to jump on n00bs about "Use the search box, durnit!"... and they don't have the benefit of sticky FAQS either. I think it's be basic forum etiquette on both sides: newbies should always try the search feature first, and the grizzled old vets should be gentle & polite in reminding them there IS a search ;)

amlevin

I participate on a couple of forums where the practice is to just mention that it has been discussed before, refer to the post(s) then go ahead and answer again. What harm does it do to revisit?

Dain Bramage

Newbs can be a pain. I was jumped on after my first post, because nobody gets my sense of humor.

But after a further lengthy seasoning period of learning the ins and outs of this board, say four posts, everyone should be afforded the status of exalted grizzled veteran. And given the keys to the club washroom. No, really, I gotta go.

Squeak

Your sence of humor

Newbs can be a pain. I was jumped on after my first post, because nobody gets my sense of humor.

But after a further lengthy seasoning period of learning the ins and outs of this board, say four posts, everyone should be afforded the status of exalted grizzled veteran. And given the keys to the club washroom. No, really, I gotta go.

Welcome to the forum, my friend. Don't worry about the humor part. Just do not mess with my dancing bananas! :banana::banana: Aw, heck, c'mon!:banana: I always forget Moe!

tombrewster421

Search

Yeah, when I first came I read the FAQ and a bunch of other threads before posting anything. When I do have questions I have found the search button to not be too helpful. I haven't really been able to find anything I searched for even when I know where to look. It's been easier for me to just go to the thread where what I'm looking for is and skim through the pages. I wonder if it would work better to use one of the big name search engines to sift through the info on this site. Anybody done that before?

superdeluxe

I agree with this, some 'newbies' are internet savy, so they make sure they search for topics etc, they lurk before they post etc.

But for those that are true newbies, we should be easier on these folks..a simple (sent pm/or please use the search function the next time, but here is your info), use it as a teaching tool.

roaddog

Thought I would chime in and have a barstool thrown at me...nah really..i just joined up to this forum and I just started OP'ing after years of Concealed Carry...actually it is rather refreshing to OC to tell ya the truth and I should've done it years ago...one comment I get from co-workers and family is "Are you nuts?, can you do that"...and I say "Yep, read the rule book kids it's there" ...so hopefully I can open some folks eyes to the great right God has given us in our Society..take it easy fellas

OrangeIsTrouble

Play some halo or modern warfare 2 on xbox live, and all this bickering will be nothing compared to all that crap.

Crack open a can of man. :D