• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On first encounters

TaborCity

If OC'ing for first time and nervous, how do you handle the first encounter with LAW OFFICER or some one in store like FOOD LION or WALL MARTS.
AND if asked to leave from store, who has legal authority to do so.
I'm thinking only MANAGERS or CO MANAGERS are the only authority that can ask you to leave, by what i been reading here, those are the only ones that can tell you to leave,
but could be wrong on this
Thinking of OC'ing this weekend just to get wife aggravated.

chiefjason

Well, I don't recommend doing it to aggravate the wife. I generally CC around my wife to keep things peaceful.

If approached and asked to leave I would ask to speak with a manager. If asked to leave by the manager, then leave. Follow up with corporate or the owner at a later time to complain. And let us know.

That's what I do. I've only had to do it once. Walmart.

rotorhead

Anyone who is an employee at a store can ask you to leave for whatever reason. It doesn't have to be a manager- think of times when there is no manager on duty at the time, etc.

They can ask you to leave even if the store usually allows for carrying, too. It's completely up to them and their discretion. After all, it's their store. If you fail to leave once asked you could possibly be charged with trespassing.

Like CJ says, follow up with a contact to their corporate HQ and ask for a written policy. This may work for the next time you go, if you choose to go back again after being booted out. Even then, any employee can still make a decision that you being there while carrying is causing problems with other customers and ask you to leave.

It sucks, but it's just the way it is. Often times things can be reversed by showing them the email or letter you get back from HQ, but in other cases it may not be enough to change their minds.

As to how to deal with encounters with LEOs, simply listen to what they are saying and react accordingly. I never tell people to be confrontational, for one thing. You may be well learned in law and actually may be right, but if you're acting like a dumb ass, I'm sure they will treat you accordingly.

Remain calm, state your positions, and above all else, don't make any stupid moves.

As for carrying to aggravate the wife, let the rest of us know when and where so we can see the show :)

TaborCity

Wife

MY WIFE and here family have all ways been pro-gun as long as i can remember.
I think sometimes that why i married her.
Then 5 years ago her brother was in florida and was killed when 2 people broke into his apartment while he was there.
He was not up to speed on home defence or was unaware of selfdefence laws in FLORIDA and was shot several times and died at the scene.
Now the family has just begun to read up on gunlaws here in NORTH CAROLINA and FLORIDA. I've tried slowly to get them up on current gun laws by showing them sites here on the internet sites such as these, but slow process as i have just begun to learn more and more about them too.
Her brother stayed in one of those gated communities with rules that covered every thing from outside building to the type of lawnmower you could use.

one of the rules stated that{ FIREARMS CARRY and DISPLAY IS PROHIBITED }, but at that time i think it was meant as not to be playing with or brandishing in open, but not sure. I think this was one rule they had that was in the grey area and people didnt or couldnt understand.
But i think they actualy couldnt forbid you from having a gun there, but just not outside playing with it or something like that.
The family sued the development and homeowners association and settled out of court for xxx amount of dollars, but the brother still died.
So for now her and her family is just begining to understand the laws on guns a little better, but it took the death of her brother to make it happen. I bought her DAD a shotgun last year for his birthday and he seemed to realy injoy shooting it and haveing it in his home, but as far as the aggravation to the wife i think its just to make her a little more open about OC'ing here. Her family is from FLORIDA and sorta freeked out last year when they saw a couple of people OC'ing here. Her DAD said if they tried that in FLORIDA they have swatt teams and national guard on your ass in a minute.

elixin77

Speaking of Florida, it seems the state legislature is trying to get on open carry law on the books, and make it have very very steep consequences for any govt official to harass them. We need a law like that here

mekender

Speaking of Florida, it seems the state legislature is trying to get on open carry law on the books, and make it have very very steep consequences for any govt official to harass them. We need a law like that here

Ya, word I am hearing is that it is almost a given.

chiefjason

TaborCity,

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's unfortunate that it sometimes takes something terrible to get folks to turn the corner from pro gun to pro self defense. My only advice would be that your mindful of how your wife feels about it. My wife is fine if I OC when I go out and even with the kids. I'll OC while hiking too. She's not very fond of it otherwise. I have OC'd around here several times with no issues. She still is not comfortable with it. So I generally CC when I am out with her.

Best of luck with your wife and inlaws.