• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newson6 - Hope grows for open carry reform in Oklahoma

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13893498

SNIP

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Two state lawmakers said they will introduce bills this year for a second time to allow the open-carry of guns in the state.

Similar legislation passed the Republican controlled legislature last year but was vetoed by the governor at the time, former Gov. Brad Henry. But with a new Republican governor, supporters of open-carry laws said they expect a different outcome.

"It's a Second Amendment right and there shouldn't be any restrictions at all on the Second Amendment," said Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore.

Wesselhoft is one lawmaker who has decided to draft legislation that will allow Oklahomans to openly carry their guns in public.
. . .

okiephlyer

Time for all the Okie's to start calling and writing their representatives and senators. The legislative session starts Feb. 7th but all the politico's have local offices and staff and are already meeting constituents.
http://www.lsb.state.ok.us
This link will take you to the official legislature web site. From there you can find your public servants, find bills and their status, etc.
Get Busy.

Bullbuster

I'll find the artical I was reading that talked about OC in OK. It said if passed would become law in Nov 2013. Really, make us wait 2 more years for the law to be official, that GARBAGE!

hrdware

All of the proposed legislation that I saw would take effect Nov 1, 2011.

However the legislative referendum proposed by Rep Tibbs would send open carry to a vote of the people and if passed would not go into effect until Jan 1, 2013.

protect our rights

I'll find the artical I was reading that talked about OC in OK. It said if passed would become law in Nov 2013. Really, make us wait 2 more years for the law to be official, that GARBAGE!

I agree it should happen a little quicker then this but hey, I'm excited to see ANY new legislature on bringing our 2nd amendment rights back. So even if you have to wait a year it could be worse. (you could live in Chicago:eek:)

hrdware

I agree it should happen a little quicker then this but hey, I'm excited to see ANY new legislature on bringing our 2nd amendment rights back. So even if you have to wait a year it could be worse. (you could live in Chicago:eek:)

The problem is that it is not legislation. It is a legislative referendum which goes through the entire legislative process, then goes to a vote of the people. I would assume that most people will be uninformed and vote with emotion that guns are bad and anyone carrying a gun in public that is not in uniform is either up to no good, or asking for trouble.

protect our rights

The problem is that it is not legislation. It is a legislative referendum which goes through the entire legislative process, then goes to a vote of the people. I would assume that most people will be uninformed and vote with emotion that guns are bad and anyone carrying a gun in public that is not in uniform is either up to no good, or asking for trouble.

Well that's why you and everyone you know has to spread the word to your neighbors and friends about the vote if it goes that way, and do the best you can to inform people. I think you will be surprised at how much media coverage it will get. The NRA will make sure of that. I think that if it went to public vote it would get passed.

hrdware

Legislative hope dies

Well, thanks to strong arm tactics and backroom politics as usual, there will be no Open Carry Legislation passed this session. The closest thing we will get is the legislative referendum that will go to a vote of the people and if it passes will go into effect Jan 1, 2013.

Just a big THANKS to all the spineless politicians working for us at the capitol this and next session. How about y'all grow a pair and do your damn jobs, you are term limited after all so stand up the same term limited party leadership and represent the people.

Mirge

Well, thanks to strong arm tactics and backroom politics as usual, there will be no Open Carry Legislation passed this session. The closest thing we will get is the legislative referendum that will go to a vote of the people and if it passes will go into effect Jan 1, 2013.

Just a big THANKS to all the spineless politicians working for us at the capitol this and next session. How about y'all grow a pair and do your damn jobs, you are term limited after all so stand up the same term limited party leadership and represent the people.

All open carry bills were already voted down? Or? What brings you to this conclusion? Thanks

hrdware

HB1400 never had a committee hearing and from what I understand, the house leadership was strong arming members of its caucus to not sign the discharge petition. Likely the discharge petition will fail. The only other House item that related to open carry that had a hearing was HB1796 and it came out as "do pass with amendments". I haven't seen the amendments yet.

SB856 was the senate version of OC and the rewrote the bill after it was in committee and it went in as OC and came out as Illegal to misrepresent yourself when buying guns or ammo".

So, yes, OC is dead this session with the exception of HB1796 which calls for a vote of the people and if it passes the vote, would not go into effect until 2013 (amendments pending).

Mirge

Lame. Where are you getting that info? latest I see for it is "Second reading referred to public safety"... i assume that's where it died? dunno where to look or how to decipher this stuff :(

Last edited:

protect our rights

Someone post a link to where they are getting this info about the bill being dead... It's hard to believe that it would be over this quick. I would be mad as hell if I lived in that state!

hrdware

Legislative Deadlines

Deadlines for House of Representatives

Today, March 3, 2011 is the last day for bills to come out of committee and make it back to the house floor. March 2, 2011 was the last committee meeting for the Public Safety committee.

Once a bill goes to committee, the chair gets to decide if there will be a committee hearing on it. If they do not hear the bill, it can not easily get back to the house so it has died in committee.

If a discharge petition has been filed for a bill, such as HB1400, and 68 reps sign the petition, the bill will be discharged from the committee and sent back to the house floor. House leadership used strong arm tactics and told caucus members not to sign the petition.

The senate bill that would have allowed for open carry was re-written by the author after it made it to committee, but before the hearing and all the open carry stuff was taken out. This was probably due to the fact that the Senate Public Safety chair was not going to hear any 2A bills at all.

hrdware

Someone post a link to where they are getting this info about the bill being dead... It's hard to believe that it would be over this quick. I would be mad as hell if I lived in that state!

Don't worry, I am mad as hell about our legislative process. Learning more about how it works (or doesn't work) this session then I ever did in civics class.

House committees have about 1 month to deal with all bills that originate in the house. Pretty crappy considering committees only meat once a week. That means 4 days for a couple hours a day. On top of that at least 1 meeting of the Public Safety Committee was canceled due to weather. Not that it makes a difference since the chair is anti-2A. Luckily she is term limited and 2012 will be her last year.

jcizzle

Any new word on this?

I thought I saw a news story that this was sitting on the governor's desk awaiting signature to send to vote. Any new word on where this is?

hrdware

I thought I saw a news story that this was sitting on the governor's desk awaiting signature to send to vote. Any new word on where this is?

The bill passed out of committee and has to be decided by the full house before it can go anywhere. They have until March 17 to deal with it and as of yet it has not been placed on the house calendar.:banghead:

protect our rights

The bill passed out of committee and has to be decided by the full house before it can go anywhere. They have until March 17 to deal with it and as of yet it has not been placed on the house calendar.:banghead:

If I lived in this state, My politicians would know me by first and last name over this bill.
Come to think of it, I might just start calling anyways.

hrdware

This bill has now been placed on the house calendar to be dealt with between March 14 and March 17. There was also an amendment filed to remove the referendum language so if that is removed, no vote by the people, simple legislative passage.