• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FYI: Gun "Buybacks" coming to LA area again May 7TH

Mike Hawk

I like it...even better, to see the look on their face when they finally get the box open and .....ooops no firearm, but thank you for violating my 4th rights and not getting a warrant.
You know the more I think about this, there's a whole list of items you could carry in that case that would embarass the !!!! out of a heavy-handed LEO upon opening your case. :eek:

DCKilla

What a deal, I mean look at all those people selling those pistols and rifles for $200 or less. Some granny walks up with a 1911 her husband had left over from the war and bam instant profit. If I had a FFL in kali, oh boy.

Seriously though, you guys need to inform those folks.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti-2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

Below is a link to a page with more details on this event.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

ETA Quote-
Don’t miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.

not ONLY in california, they pull the same shenanigans in a lot of states, i've seen this in texas, indiana and michigan. here's an example of how we handle them in michigan although i doubt this sort of thing would be legal there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
not ONLY in california, they pull the same shenanigans in a lot of states, i've seen this in texas, indiana and michigan. here's an example of how we handle them in michigan although i doubt this sort of thing would be legal there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI

No- that's legal here. Most firearms would need a FFL and the 10 day wait, but C + R long guns would be cash and go. Pullnshoot25 has done this, and with some organization I believe this is repeatable. The problem is getting participation.

stuckinchico

At the very least some footage of police encouraging citizens to ignore the 1000' GFSZ would show the uselessness of expanding them to 1500'.

Just an idea.... if the buy back happen in a zone Citizens arrest baby!!!!! Make it know that citizens are willing to arrest anyone who violates this even for the buy back program

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Just an idea.... if the buy back happen in a zone Citizens arrest baby!!!!! Make it know that citizens are willing to arrest anyone who violates this even for the buy back program

Not such a great idea. First, citizen's arrest is limited to certain crimes- particularly - felonies you witness. Second, you open yourself up to civil liability by taking people into custody in this way.

The first issue with attempting a citizen's arrest at a gun buyback in a gun free school zone is that 626.9 is a wobbler. Since you do not know the full extent of their violation, you can't possibly know if a felony charge applies. So if it is a misdemeanor, you have unjustifiably seized someone and you will probably be sued. Another problem is that they are there at the request of the authorities to dispose of a firearm... in all likelihood, the officers present will either accept your arrestee and let them free (and tell you to pound sand), or they will detain you while they investigate your attempt to kidnap someone or for commiting battery.

Do not attempt to do this. I believe it is enough to expose the hypocrisy and tamper with the goals of the anti-gunners. There is no reason to face a civil suit or criminal charges.

Decoligny

Not such a great idea. First, citizen's arrest is limited to certain crimes- particularly - felonies you witness. Second, you open yourself up to civil liability by taking people into custody in this way.

The first issue with attempting a citizen's arrest at a gun buyback in a gun free school zone is that 626.9 is a wobbler. Since you do not know the full extent of their violation, you can't possibly know if a felony charge applies. So if it is a misdemeanor, you have unjustifiably seized someone and you will probably be sued. Another problem is that they are there at the request of the authorities to dispose of a firearm... in all likelihood, the officers present will either accept your arrestee and let them free (and tell you to pound sand), or they will detain you while they investigate your attempt to kidnap someone or for commiting battery.

Do not attempt to do this. I believe it is enough to expose the hypocrisy and tamper with the goals of the anti-gunners. There is no reason to face a civil suit or criminal charges.

FELONIES YOU WITNESS????????

Not quite an accurate representation of the applicable Penal Code:

837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

A misdemeanor falls under the category of "a public offense".

Not recommending any course of action, just clarifying what is actually written into the law.

Last edited:

stuckinchico

Cite please on the citizens arrest is only for felonies

Its for all crimes its officers that can only arrest for felonies not committed in their presence. A misdemeanor must have someone else sign the citation that witnessed it otherwise warrant needed

A citizen cited an officer for parking in front of a fire hydrant and won

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
FELONIES YOU WITNESS????????

Not quite an accurate representation of the applicable Penal Code:

837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

A misdemeanor falls under the category of "a public offense".

Not recommending any course of action, just clarifying what is actually written into the law.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I will say that since I have not commited this to memory, I have no intention of insinuating myself into circumstances unless there is no other alternative to apprehend an violent assailant, murderer, rapist, or kidnapper.

Cite please on the citizens arrest is only for felonies

Its for all crimes its officers that can only arrest for felonies not committed in their presence. A misdemeanor must have someone else sign the citation that witnessed it otherwise warrant needed

A citizen cited an officer for parking in front of a fire hydrant and won

Decoligny has quoted the applicable code. You may believe I am being overly cautious and my advice about citizen's arrests was not wholly accurate, but if you want to go laying your hands on people and telling them that they are under arrest for bringing an unsecured firearm to a buyback in a school zone, be my guest. Just don't be surprised when this action blows up in your face, police hook you up, and you find yourself the target of a civil suit. In my opinion, the suggestion that anyone should do this in response to a gun buy back in a GFSZ is pure idiocy.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Ya i agree however i was just trying to think outside the box to save perfectly good firearms. someone else got a better idea

last year there was a buyback in a GFSZ, lots of questions went through the thread..

It was insinuated by the cops that, they had gotten written permission from
the superintendent for blanket coverage of the event..

if they are asked, and they say the permission is granted this time too,
then regular UOCers would ALSO have permission to be in the GFSZ!

someone needs to pursue this question, get the answer, and set up a meet!:monkey:banana:

Mike Hawk

I would have to agree that this is too risky an idea. Not to mention that this law (626.9) is unconstitutional as hell anyways, hence us 2A advocates probably shouldn't be encouraging its enforcement against our fellow citizens.

But with that being said, there are plenty of other effective ways in which we can deter participation in these events, without risking this amount of legal peril.

Mike Hawk

last year there was a buyback in a GFSZ, lots of questions went through the thread..

It was insinuated by the cops that, they had gotten written permission from
the superintendent for blanket coverage of the event..

if they are asked, and they say the permission is granted this time too,
then regular UOCers would ALSO have permission to be in the GFSZ!

someone needs to pursue this question, get the answer, and set up a meet!:monkey:banana:
Although I'm not sure I'd trust their answer enough to go and carry in a GFSZ, yes it does need to be asked. Preferrably ON CAMERA. I'm covering the Wilmington location this time around, however if anyone is going to the Hollywood Blvd location, this would be the place to do it. It's in a GFSZ, and would be the best place IMO to publicize this fact.

pullnshoot25

Wonder how flamed they would get if one shows up with a cased locked firearm with the apparent intention to turn it in only to be approached, before reaching the turn in station, by a private citizen informing them(within ear shot of LEO and the media), they can get better money if they sell it, and it wont get destroyed.

And the turning in individual, being so horrified that your being sold short and not wanting the firearm destroyed, one offers to simply gift the firearm to the private citizen trying to help out.

(of course the private citizen is the actual legal owner of the gun already, and the one showing up is just a trusted friend giving the weapon back to the original owner).

Can anyone see that interaction as being in any way illegal? make for a great news sound bite, especially since nobody knows whats really going on, (and by the way why are they eavesdroping anyway) and if LE trys to stop you or open the locked case its your weapon carried legally in a GFSZ.

Sometimes I have sick and twisted ideas, figured it be fun to share here and see peoples reaction.

Bullhorn!

Ca Patriot

I drove by the one on PCH. Who was the guy with the goatee in front with the large sign ? Someone from this board ?

Mike Hawk

I drove by the one on PCH. Who was the guy with the goatee in front with the large sign ? Someone from this board ?
Pay no attention. That guy's a freakin lunatic! :eek:
You shoulda stopped though, I had extra signs and handouts. I hear that the other locations had a much greater turnout of pro-2Aers. But I did manage to divert a few people to the gun stores and got a few questions on camera with the supervisor too. I'll post that later.

Ca Patriot

Pay no attention. That guy's a freakin lunatic! :eek:
You shoulda stopped though, I had extra signs and handouts. I hear that the other locations had a much greater turnout of pro-2Aers. But I did manage to divert a few people to the gun stores and got a few questions on camera with the supervisor too. I'll post that later.

Was that you holding the "disarm" sign ?

I actually went there to turn in a busted old shotgun I had but the line was so long and I didnt like the site of all the armed LAPD there.

I was going to film them as I turned in my gun but I got the feeling I would be arrested by the fuzz.

Mike Hawk

Was that you holding the "disarm" sign ?

I actually went there to turn in a busted old shotgun I had but the line was so long and I didnt like the site of all the armed LAPD there.

I was going to film them as I turned in my gun but I got the feeling I would be arrested by the fuzz.
Haha yeah I was the only guy holding a sign there. "YOUR TAX $$, DISARMING AMERICANS" But the line seemed to move a lot quicker than before. It never seemed to get longer than about 1/2 block. And a lot of those cars were just in that lane by accident, trying to get to the freeway. In years past, I've seen it 2 solid blocks.