• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first police encounter

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Guns should never be an issue. It was a small town. Pacific. I learned a while back algona and pacific are at most more strict than any other city. I've walked by both king county sheriff, auburn and Renton pd with no words exchanged or issue. Anyways moving on.... Had an uneventful day the rest of it anyways. SAMs club Walmart supercuts and supermall no issue.

Pardon me, but what does the bold quote above have to do with firearms carry in Washington? This state has preemption. The state supreme court has upheld state preemption in the Chan v Seattle case.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There's another reason too, it's harder to loose or get pick pocketed from your front left pocket, I have always carried my wallet there but I grew up in bad neighborhoods.

Briehl, don't just think what is easier for you. What about the next guy who doesn't want to volunteer info to the cop you just made his life that much more difficult. Something to think about.

I also carry my small wallet in my front left pocket and I did not grow up in bad neighborhoods. Harder to be pick pocketed, easier to distract a mugger and easier to handle in the store.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It has nothing to do with oc. Period. What's your point?this thread was about my experiance.

You made the statement, I am inquiring about your statement. If it has nothing to do with OC then why make the statement? I appreciate your experience it provides others a chance to look at traffic stops from different angles.

I am going to put being pulled over for a traffic violation in a much stronger statement that I have made before.

Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!

briehl12

Good point. Although one may argue that keeping your wallet in your front pocket is not anything oc related either. Just carrying on with conversation. Thanks for the responses. Il be better prepared next time.

Medic1210

He volunteered away his rights, informed us about it, and recieved a response. There was no need to inform him. Every time I hear about someone volunteering the fact that they are carrying, I think gun geek.

"Look officer, I have a gun too,huh?!"

Just saying the guy could have said pretty much the same thing without the assitude and arrogance.

amzbrady

It has nothing to do with oc. Period. What's your point?this thread was about my experiance.

Where's spydie man to let you know this doesnt belong here?

So many things wrong with the stop. "Hey guess what, I am armed and have a cpl"

Were you driving your firearm, how is having a firearm revelant to speeding and getting stopped?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
2 1/2 years ago I was pulled over by the WA State Patrol on US 101 just east of the Olympic National Park. I was doing 65 on a 60 Zone. I was open carrying my XD-45 at the time in an OWB holster on my right side. It was clearly visable from the officers vantage point (He came to the passenger window).

I handed him my License, Registration,and Insurance information which I had ready long before he even got close to my vehicle. I never mentioned the gun, nor did he, however I did keep my hands well away from it! If he didn't see it, he's not a very good cop. :exclaim:

Thats the way a traffic stop of a legally armed person should go!

Six months from now that ticket will be off my record and my insurance rates can start going back down again :cuss:

Jayd1981

Take it as a learning experience. I will inform a cop right before it comes into his view if it will. Other than that, I keep my mouth shut. My last traffic stop, cop came to the passenger side. I had to reach past my gun to get my wallet (will definately try to start carrying my wallet on the other side now) so I informed him. He simply asked me to hand him my CPL with my license then. After looking at my CPL, he took my other info and got me my ticket. I was never disarmed. That is how a stop should go. I was also able to beat the ticket thanks to a lazy PA, but thats off topic.

decklin

Guns should never be an issue. It was a small town. Pacific. I learned a while back algona and pacific are at most more strict than any other city. I've walked by both king county sheriff, auburn and Renton pd with no words exchanged or issue. Anyways moving on.... Had an uneventful day the rest of it anyways. SAMs club Walmart supercuts and supermall no issue.

Are you saying Pacific is strict on firearms or speeding? I live in Pacific. I OC past the cops here all the time. Either they don't care or their SA sucks.
As far as the speeding goes Pacific does a "Traffic School" at the police station. It'll keep the ticket off your record. It's one of the few places that does it.
Pacific is strict on speed. When you go into a town where almost all the signs say 25MPH it's usually a pretty big hint.
If you're going to OC at the Supermall expect someone to say something to you. They post signs against weapons at the entrance to the mall. I try to go elsewhere but when I have to go in I just conceal.

DCKilla

Thanks for the responses. Yes he did take off my person. Took it back with him took mag out and returned to me. Ammo still in mag. Yes I may have volunteered my rights but that was my choice. Givin the fact he would have seen it anyways. I volunteered giving you my encounter experiance. I would rather let a Leo know up front than to be pulled out of my car. I guess next time il be better prepared. As I stated this was my first experiance.
I guess running the serial number was for his "safety" as well.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Actually officer, for everyone's safety I would prefer it just stay in the holster...

Put me in the "Don't bring it up unless it is going to come up" camp. Almost all accidental discharges have the gun being handled as a common denominator.

And I refuse any searches or seizures of my person, papers, or property without an appropriate warrant!

Schlepnier

When i carry my wallet, phone and such are in my shirt pockets, if it is warm out and i am OC they go in one of my left side pants pockets(im a right side carry and i wear BDUs almost everywhere). so i do not end up with that "hey what are you reching for" moment.

As far as the stop goes from the OP....you gave up your rights willinging, not how i would have handled it(have already had my own LEO interaction while OC), but thats your choice. unfortunately it re-affirms the officers opinion that he can violate the law through color of authority.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Your first encounter armed, eh? All in all, you did not get shot. Looks like a great deal of opinions after the fact. Now you know what happens and NEXT time you will be more secure in yourself and maybe not surrender as many rights as you did this time.

This is how we learn people. When I was in the Army, I had a print on my wall for my troops to see. It said....."Knowledge is knowing that fire will burn. Wisdom is remembering the blister."

GhostOfJefferson

He volunteered away his rights, informed us about it, and recieved a response. There was no need to inform him. Every time I hear about someone volunteering the fact that they are carrying, I think gun geek.

"Look officer, I have a gun too,huh?!"

You do know that there are states where it's required that you notify, right?

I think it's wrong, but it's law.

hermannr

Sure you could have. Then he would have called for backup and when they arrived, they would have put you on the ground, handcuffed you, and removed your gun "for officer safety."

So far, to my knowledge, the Washington State Supreme Court has never separated "armed" from "dangerous". The US Supreme Court says the the officer has the right to disarm you for "officer safety" if, during a lawful detention, the officer has RAS to believe that you are "armed and dangerous". Until the Washington State Supreme Court says otherwise, we can assume that armed will equal dangerous.

Hej Navy, while I normally agree with things you say...I have to disagree here. The US Supreme court has stated that you may be disarmed is you have been legally "detained" for suspicion of a crime. A traffic infraction is not a crime...therefore, there is no legal reason for the officer to disarm you. I will grant that after the latest WSP shooting it will probably happen more often, but that does not mean it is legal for them to do so.

To the OP: In over 40 years I have never been disarmed, asked for my permit to carry, or any other interaction with an officer when I was stopped for a traffic infraction,,,and I have NEVER, and would NEVER volunteer that I was armed...

IMHO: If I was asked, I would respond with a question..."if I am armed, or not, what does this have to do with a traffic stop as a traffic stop is not for a "crime" but a traffic infraction?" Remember, they will see you have a CPL when they check your drivers license, that is all they need to know. If you have a CPL, and have no outstanding warrents (for anything, even a parking ticket), they have absolutely no reason to sieze your weapon.

J1MB0B

I might ask him why he would want me to even touch my weapon if he is so concerned with officer safety? Then tell him I do not consent but I will not resist if HE wants to remove it from my person. Or, take off the holster with the weapon still safely nestled away inside.

I say "might" because the only interaction I have ever had with a LEO while armed was a traffic stop and he never even knew it was there.

Boomboy007

The Weenie has it right.

Start carrying your wallet in your left pocket.

There's a few reasons...

1 is for the reason you mentioned. Crooked cops 'he was reaching for his gun'....... If you notify that you have a gun on your right, and reach to your right, there's gonna be a problem.

2 is actually a tactical thing... Let's say you're getting robbed, you can tell the guy 'OK OK, look, my wallet is in my left pocket OK,here's my hand, I'm just gonna slowly grab it ok, just my wallet' then human nature is to WATCH THE LEFT HAND GO TO THE WALLET....guess where my right hand is going? The one he's NOT paying attention to?

3 When I go pay for purchases, sometimes there is already uptight people around, including the cashier.... This includes banks or whatever.......I don't wanna appear to be reaching for my firearm at any cashier, bank window, etc etc.... same reason why you wouldn't want to keep your wallet inside your jacket when wearing a shoulder holster.

I keep my license, insurance, and registration under an elastic band on my sunvisor. That way I am never fiddling around where I carry my gun, or messing around in the glove box where he or she might THINK that I am carrying a weapon.

I won't hassle you because of the way you handled it because, as a lover of freedom and liberty, I believe in your right to give up those liberties at your discretion. However, now you know that there is another, and in my opinion better, way to handle the situation. I also realize that, when the police are involved, it can be a scary thing. Just remember, the right way is rarely the easy way.

And slow down! ;)