• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ham Radio Field day 2012....anyone interested?

GlockRDH

Its come the the attention of a bunch of us in south central WI that ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services, an organization of the ARRL) has stated that the volunteer members are not allowed to be armed with any type of weapon... I was talking with another local ham who is 'one of us'....We are thinking about organizing a CC/OC friendly Field Day get together for this year (23-24 June). Any of the hams on here interested? Not sure yet of the location...Looking for input from other hams or those interested... Thanks guys.

Yetiman

I am not sure about the date, but will keep it in mind and watch the thread. I haven't done Field Day in years...

lockman

State Researcher
I enjoy Field day weekend...some of the higher-ups are getting a little testy about things..:) Time to have our own outting..now to figure out where! Ill keep you all posted...need to alert other hams also...

They actually had that policy in place, in writing?

A knife comes in awfully handy cutting rope or stripping wire/cable too bad it is prohibited. Are you an ARES member?

GlockRDH

I am/was (havent yet officially turned in my ID)...but yes, i got an email from our county coordinator that came down from ARRL...sounds like they are against it!

heres the email thats been circulated:

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards

protias

I am/was (havent yet officially turned in my ID)...but yes, i got an email from our county coordinator that came down from ARRL...sounds like they are against it!

heres the email thats been circulated:

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards

I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of ARRL members who carry. I wonder what will happen to their membership? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

MKEgal

Greetings, Don.
Let me be very, very clear about this.
We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue.
There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever.
We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time.
If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated.
This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever.
We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

So he doesn't believe in rights (notice it's in quotes, like he doesn't believe in the concept),
won't ever talk with anyone on the subject again,
and thinks that by doing so he's avoiding liability.
Moron.
He needs to get pointed to the liability portion of the new carry law in WI... Looks like he's admitted there's a long list of people willing to pay out for a lawsuit & damages. :rolleyes:

And how does this new position mesh with their stated policy:
"Under no circumstances will any volunteer be asked or expected to place his/her life, family or property in jeopardy. Volunteers are required to take those prudent steps necessary to protect their life, family and property."
http://www.wi-aresraces.org/Documents/WIAR_Comm_Ref_Plan.pdf (pg. 2)

Life & family should be obvious. Property is in jeopardy by leaving it unattended in a vehicle.
And since they require "prudent steps" for protection, they can't very well turn around & prohibit those same prudent steps now, can they?

I don't see anything in ARRL bylaws, rules & regulations, or articles of association about suspending civil rights...
I have not waded through the minutes of board meetings, though, so there might have actually been a legal vote taken & recorded, amending the rules, articles, etc. by the required number of board members, & it just hasn't been published yet.

If not, this new 'policy' seems to be much like any other opinion by any other employee of any other company.

lockman

State Researcher
Back around 1977 I pondered a life membership in the ARRL, but decided to put my money in life memberships in the NRA, ISRA, SAF and CCRKBA. All that for just a few more $$ than the ARRL/QST life rate. this just reinforces my decision.

Most all field day locations are open to the public, so visit while OC.

mearlus

Although I'm not an overly active HAM (just tx/rx between a few friends) and have not participated in any field day I have been a ARRL member since getting licensed.

My renewal is currently due, this has helped me decide to not renew. There is no way I will give money to an organization that states there position like this. Wearing horse blinders not even willing to discuss logic.

Thanks for bring this to my attention, saved me some $ this year an on :)

protias

Although I'm not an overly active HAM (just tx/rx between a few friends) and have not participated in any field day I have been a ARRL member since getting licensed.

My renewal is currently due, this has helped me decide to not renew. There is no way I will give money to an organization that states there position like this. Wearing horse blinders not even willing to discuss logic.

Thanks for bring this to my attention, saved me some $ this year an on :)

Make sure to tell them why.

MKEgal

For people thinking about (or actually) dropping their membership in ARRL or one of its affiliates, be sure to call, email, or preferably write the main office to explain why.
Maybe use their website to find the names of the board members & write them.
Hopefully once this email (from their lawyer) is circulated they will see enough of a bad response to understand that they screwed up.
No idea if they'd correct the mistake.

oliverclotheshoff

For people thinking about (or actually) dropping their membership in ARRL or one of its affiliates, be sure to call, email, or preferably write the main office to explain why.
Maybe use their website to find the names of the board members & write them.
Hopefully once this email (from their lawyer) is circulated they will see enough of a bad response to understand that they screwed up.
No idea if they'd correct the mistake.

if someone finds\has the contact info please post it here

lockman

State Researcher
President:
Kay C. Craigie, N3KN
570 Brush Mountain Road
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-3903
n3kn@arrl.org

Chief Executive Officer:
David Sumner, K1ZZ