• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Open Carriers in Southeastern Pa?

Gun Totin' Liberal

Any open carriers in Southeastern Pa? I have been carrying concealed for nearly 15yrs, and have always thought about carrying openly but never have.

I am wondering if anyone in SE Pa has OCd, and if so, if they had any issues.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Southeastern PA would be Philly right?.....Nope....don't do it. Outside Philly, check before you do in case PPD 'policy' has infected any local PDs outside of Philly.

mrjam2jab

I'm in Lower Bucks County area.. Currently my "OC" is an IWB with a tucked in shirt. I haven't had an issues. The occasional passerby letting me know I'm "exposed"..."Yeah, it usually is, but thanks anyway." but no real issues.

Gun Totin' Liberal

Southeastern PA would be Philly right?.....Nope....don't do it. Outside Philly, check before you do in case PPD 'policy' has infected any local PDs outside of Philly.

Thanks OC. I am about 30-40 miles southwest-ish of Philly, in Chester County. This is a fairly rural county, with gun clubs farm land and such, so maybe it isn't too bad here. I am thinking about making my first OC during a trip to the gas station tonight. I suppose I can just continue to carry concealed, and if my shirt rides up and it becomes visible I just won't worry about it.

I'm in Lower Bucks County area.. Currently my "OC" is an IWB with a tucked in shirt. I haven't had an issues. The occasional passerby letting me know I'm "exposed"..."Yeah, it usually is, but thanks anyway." but no real issues.

Thanks mr. How long have you been OCing, and do you OC everywhere you go?

Curmudgeon

Not Chester County, but York County, open carrying a full size .45 everywhere for around 3 1/2 years, never a problem

This is my typical carry set up...

VotePic1.jpg

...and yes, I even open-carried to the polls! :eek:

Gun Totin' Liberal

Good stuff curmudgeon! I just did my first OC, and it went well.

Hey, how do you like your Serpa? I see that a lot of people on here use it. I heard about concerns with being in the heat of the moment, keeping pressure on index finger and inadvertently pressing the trigger on the draw. You carry a 1911 cocked and locked, and I am wondering if you think you will have an issue with that, while under stress.

I want a holster with retention, and that one is definitely reasonably priced, so any thoughts on it would be appreciated.

Curmudgeon

Actually that's an older pic, from 2010. The Serpa is OK, it's relatively inexpensive, it's nice to hear and feel the "click" as you re-holster. I've never really become attached to it because it sticks out too far for me. I'm wide enough as it is. When I put this on I smack it into damn near everything.

As far as safely drawing, I have 2 Serpas, one for the 1911 and one for my Springfield Armory XD45. With both, when I depress the release and draw, my finger ends up along the slide, not on the trigger. Practice. Practice until it becomes second nature.

It should not require a conscious effort to keep your finger off the trigger.
It should require a conscious effort to get your finger on the trigger.

That said, I am currently using a leather pancake holster by Desantis, the "Cocked and Locked" holster...

Vote-Pic-2.jpg

I have always preferred leather, and all leather pancake holsters I have tried hold very tight to the body, and do not flop around when walking like the Serpas do for me. I use a Don Hume pancake with the XD45. Both are thumb strap and also fit snugly inside, adding to the retention. I consider the Don Hume to be a better made holster.

I don't recall reading what firearm you carry, so I can't make any recommendations there, but both my leather holsters were less than $75. I searched and found what I wanted, then started searching for price. I ended up getting both of them new-in-package through ebay for right around $60 shipped. Not a bad price.

Gun Totin' Liberal

Hey, curm, thanks for the detailed reply. I carry my H&K USP Compact chambered in .45ACP. I carry it in my open-top De Santis right now. It hugs my body nicely, and I never really bump into it, or bump into things with it, so I don't think I would like something that sticks out, like the Serpa. I am thinking of passing on the Serpa and just sticking with what I have now. I figure if somebody is willing to go for my gun, they certainly would be somebody who is familiar with guns, and would be able to negotiate a thumb break, which is why I was considering one with retention that one may not be able to figure out.

Thanks again.

Curmudgeon

Hey, curm, thanks for the detailed reply. I carry my H&K USP Compact chambered in .45ACP. I carry it in my open-top De Santis right now. It hugs my body nicely, and I never really bump into it, or bump into things with it, so I don't think I would like something that sticks out, like the Serpa. I am thinking of passing on the Serpa and just sticking with what I have now. I figure if somebody is willing to go for my gun, they certainly would be somebody who is familiar with guns, and would be able to negotiate a thumb break, which is why I was considering one with retention that one may not be able to figure out.

Thanks again.

For some of the best holsters for retention, look at Safariland Holsters. A quick Google search will show you the way. Some of their Level II and Level III retention holsters are pretty impressive, and the Level III holsters are not likely to be easily overcome by anyone but you.

jahwarrior

Why not? I've open carried in Philly a few times. Just because Viper caught **** doesn't mean everyone will. And no one should have to "check" a PD's "policy" on open carry. I don't check to see if they have a policy on free speech, either. The policy of PD's statewide is that open carry is legal, as per the training memos every single PD across PA received. Sorry, but your post was making with the dumb.

OC for ME

It is precisely because PPD has a history of violating the rights of OCers, and likely the laws of PA, that my post is not 'dumb'.

Historical fact must not be ignored. Every single PD knows, or should know, that it is and has been legal to OC for sometime, yet illegal harassment and detentions/arrests have occurred and likely will occur in the future.

jahwarrior

It is precisely because PPD has a history of violating the rights of OCers, and likely the laws of PA, that my post is not 'dumb'.

Historical fact must not be ignored. Every single PD knows, or should know, that it is and has been legal to OC for sometime, yet illegal harassment and detentions/arrests have occurred and likely will occur in the future.

Using your rationale, no one in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania should open carry, ever, because in nearly every county, there's been an incident where someone open carrying has been harrassed by the local PD. I guess I'll never open carry in Dickson City again; they must have been infected by the Scranton PD. :rolleyes:

Gun Totin' Liberal

Why not? I've open carried in Philly a few times. Just because Viper caught **** doesn't mean everyone will. And no one should have to "check" a PD's "policy" on open carry. I don't check to see if they have a policy on free speech, either. The policy of PD's statewide is that open carry is legal, as per the training memos every single PD across PA received. Sorry, but your post was making with the dumb.

Using your rationale, no one in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania should open carry, ever, because in nearly every county, there's been an incident where someone open carrying has been harrassed by the local PD. I guess I'll never open carry in Dickson City again; they must have been infected by the Scranton PD. :rolleyes:

I will not let that sway me, if I need to go to Philly, then I will OC. I went out a couple times this past weekend, and it went well. I honestly think that I resemble an off duty LEO though. I liked the way that people didn't even give it second thought upon seeing me. And when ya have a spare mag carrier with two mags in it, it really looks like you are official. It seemed as though they really didn't give a ****. I know that might not be the usual situation, but I will take comfort in it.

s&w

Hey just joined this site im in west Chester and have bin asking the same question you have always wanted to start open carry but didint know of anyone else in the area that does would made pick your brain a bit and ask few questions since you have begun open carrying

Tym C

I live in Exton and I am from South Philly. I OC and CC I carry my Ruger P90 or my S&W 40. When I am back in my neighborhood I CC just to keep the element of surprise. .