• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Portrait Project

Lois B

Hi,
I'm a photographer in WI photographing Concealed Carry Portraits. I have had little experience with firearms in my life until recently. But in the past year I have learned how to trap shoot (i'm terrible!), skeet shoot (alittle better) and do sporting clays (really terrible!). The central concept in my photography project is that the idea of concealed carry is something that is private and about concealment. The portrait is both of the person and their handgun and it is about revealing this concealment. I am not taking a stance/bias in these photographs- this is not to support any agenda. It is merely an interesting portrait series idea.

I am looking for interested participants in WI that are permitted. I will give you a print in exchange for your time and I will travel to you at your convenience. My goal for the project is to show the portraits together in a gallery show at some point in the future. You can see my last project, bedroom portraits here: http://www.loisbielefeld.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=3

Please feel free to ask me questions. The session would take about an hour of your time (mainly set up/lighting) and would be at a location of your choice. Below is an example of one of the photos from the series.

Thanks so much for your consideration,
Lois Bielefeld
loisbielefeld.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting concept; however I would point out that this is a site dedicated to and populated by people who primarily carry openly, not concealed. Indeed it is the purpose of OCDO to promote the normalization of open carried, properly holstered handguns in everyday life.

That and I admit to a certain reluctance to suggest to others that they contribute/submit to uncontrolled use of their image for purposes beyond their control. Will final approval, including format and purpose (much like editorial approval) be in the hands of the subject?

Lois B

Hi, Thanks for your response and points. The WI law changed about 1 year ago to permit Concealed Carry which is why I thought there would be some people in WI on this forum that are interested in this change or now permitted. I'm trying to get my project out to as many interested subjects as possible. So perhaps this isn't a perfect forum for such but it will help me and others think about something they might not normally think about. I don't know how many people have fine art projects happen in their lives regularly. Nor am I on any other open forums about Open Carry. I think i'll appreciate other's point of views and perspectives on my project such as yours.

You hit on a very good point about the potential reluctance of a subject being willing to be photographed and then open to their image being used afterwards. I'm very upfront about how I'd like to see the images used when the project is completed: in a gallery/museum type space, on my website eventually, and sometimes art organizations are interested and feature it. I definitely want my subject to be completely willing participant and we talk about it all prior to me photographing them. I could and probably should get model releases but I don't as I think this is a trust based relationship on both sides and there is something I don't like about having someone sign their rights away about an image. I do my own edit as it is apart of my photographic process and I am looking for the most compelling image- this may or may not be the subject's favorite image but that is apart of the portrait process and I don't want to be influenced by the portrait's idea of how want to look good or be "picture perfect." However, if someone felt strongly in the end that they did not want the image used/seen I would absolutely respect this and pull it out of the project.

Also I should note, I am considered an emerging/young artist (i have only shown my work a few times in gallery type spaces). So there is potential for it to be shown and it may never go anywhere. If I do have a show, I will inform the people that are in it as I hope they could come and enjoy it and see it all come together. Regardless of the outcome, this is more about the experiences and process for me.

Thanks so much for your questions and points.

Interesting concept; however I would point out that this is a site dedicated to and populated by people who primarily carry openly, not concealed. Indeed it is the purpose of OCDO to promote the normalization of open carried, properly holstered handguns in everyday life.

That and I admit to a certain reluctance to suggest to others that they contribute/submit to uncontrolled use of their image for purposes beyond their control. Will final approval, including format and purpose (much like editorial approval) be in the hands of the subject?

protias

If I'm getting a picture taken while carrying concealed, how will people know if I'm carrying at all? Then again, I do prefer to open carry since it is so much more comfortable.

GreenCountyPete

Wisconsin is both a unlicensed open carry and Licensed shall issue concealed/open carry state.
the people of Wisconsin may also conceal carry without license in their homes , on their property and in their businesses.

having the license issued by the state does not limit or prohibit the open carry that is open to all Wisconsin citizens

but from the example you show at the bottom of your post the man is not concealing , he is wearing an orange vest and holding his gun ,how does it show concealed carry or how personal it is?

HandyHamlet

Some very nice work in your bedroom series.

This sounds like a WAVE project. Identify all carriers....... hmmmmmmmm

Can't speak for our newest member's views on the Constitution obviously, but she is the real deal where photography is concerned.

Last edited:

Lois B

Hi, Thanks for your question. The idea is that i'm photographing people who are permitted concealed carriers. And for them to show their handgun in the photograph so the photograph is a revealing. But I understand you prefer to open-carry. Especially since this is an open-carry forum!

Might you be interested in being photographed if you are permitted? Thanks, Lois

If I'm getting a picture taken while carrying concealed, how will people know if I'm carrying at all? Then again, I do prefer to open carry since it is so much more comfortable.

Lois B

Wisconsin is both a unlicensed open carry and Licensed shall issue concealed/open carry state.
the people of Wisconsin may also conceal carry without license in their homes , on their property and in their businesses.

having the license issued by the state does not limit or prohibit the open carry that is open to all Wisconsin citizens

but from the example you show at the bottom of your post the man is not concealing , he is wearing an orange vest and holding his gun ,how does it show concealed carry or how personal it is?

Hi, Yes I understand the laws- thanks for the clarifications.

Yes, when I show the project I will write in my artist statement that my subjects conceal carry. But for the portrait they are posed with their handgun as it is a revealing of this concealment. So in a sense i guess it is open carry for the portrait but I don't know if that point matters. Thanks, i hope i've answered your question?

protias

Hi, Thanks for your question. The idea is that i'm photographing people who are permitted concealed carriers. And for them to show their handgun in the photograph so the photograph is a revealing. But I understand you prefer to open-carry. Especially since this is an open-carry forum!

Might you be interested in being photographed if you are permitted? Thanks, Lois

I am far too busy. Sorry.

ckmorley

I'd be interested in posing.
I was photographed for a project called "Chicago In The Year 200" with my pistol, on top of an office building in downtown Chicago.

ckmorley

Attachments

• City 2000 obscurred.jpg
    City 2000 obscurred.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 194

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was photographed for a project called "Chicago In The Year 200" with my pistol, on top of an office building in downtown Chicago.

ckmorley

The problem is your image is not likely to have your face obscured. When you go public, it is an all or nothing thing. Jus' sayin'.

ckmorley

The problem is your image is not likely to have your face obscured. When you go public, it is an all or nothing thing. Jus' sayin'.

I only obscurred it because I had a stupid look on my face.
I've gone public many times in the press and on TV both here and in ILL.

ckmorley

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I only obscurred it because I had a stupid look on my face.
I've gone public many times in the press and on TV both here and in ILL.

ckmorley

Beauty (if that be the goal) is in the eye of the beholder - that I would think is the point that Lois B wishes to make or at least control.

Lois B

ckmorley

Hi,
Thanks so much for your interest and sharing your photograph. Would you mind emailing me so we can set up a time and talk if you have any further questions. My email address is: loisbielefeld@gmail.com

Thanks and i look forward to hearing from you, Lois

Lois B

Beauty (if that be the goal) is in the eye of the beholder - that I would think is the point that Lois B wishes to make or at least control.

Hi, I'm not sure if I need to respond but i was struck by your thought about beauty. Yes I do think beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes the person may not agree or love their picture because we all have ideas on how we think we look best? But in no way do i want anyone to feel uncomfortable with their image or that they are making a bad expression. For me I want to make the most compelling images to get people to think and somehow for the image to touch them in a way.

Thank you for your comment.

JJC

Hi,
I'm a photographer in WI photographing Concealed Carry Portraits. I have had little experience with firearms in my life until recently. But in the past year I have learned how to trap shoot (i'm terrible!), skeet shoot (alittle better) and do sporting clays (really terrible!). The central concept in my photography project is that the idea of concealed carry is something that is private and about concealment. The portrait is both of the person and their handgun and it is about revealing this concealment. I am not taking a stance/bias in these photographs- this is not to support any agenda. It is merely an interesting portrait series idea.

I am looking for interested participants in WI that are permitted. I will give you a print in exchange for your time and I will travel to you at your convenience. My goal for the project is to show the portraits together in a gallery show at some point in the future. You can see my last project, bedroom portraits here: http://www.loisbielefeld.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=3

Please feel free to ask me questions. The session would take about an hour of your time (mainly set up/lighting) and would be at a location of your choice. Below is an example of one of the photos from the series.

Thanks so much for your consideration,
Lois Bielefeld
View attachment 9354

Do you ever get to the La Crosse Area?