• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marriage ban upheld by 6th fed. appel court -

davidmcbeth

Banned
Judge Margaret Craig Daughtry dissented. “If we in the judiciary do not have the authority, and indeed the responsibility, to right fundamental wrongs left excused by a majority of the electorate, our whole intricate, constitutional system of checks and balances, as well as the oaths to which we swore, prove to be nothing but shams.

v

The panel ruled 2 to 1 that while gay marriage is almost inevitable, in the words of U.S. Circuit Judge Jeffrey Sutton, it should be settled through the democratic process and not the judiciary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5fc-11e4-9fdc-d43b053ecb4d_story.html?hpid=z3

Judge Daughtry should resign in protest .... like HE can override the people whenever HE feels its due. And he likely thinks that the RBKA is obsolete too.

DrakeZ07

So, if the majority of people, voted that black people are second-class citizens, and a judge who dissented in an appeal that agreed with the majority of the voters, would you also call for her resignation, and condemn that judge; Thereby showing your faith, and support, of the law that was voted on by a simple majority of voters?

See, you guys need to realize something that is VERY important. The United States of America, is NOT a Democracy, and it never has been. You cannot vote away someone's basic, inherent rights, including the right to the pursuit of happiness. Just because a majority of people voted to ban Gay Marriage, does not mean that the majority, or indeed, the ban itself, carries any weight insofar as the Constitution, or he basis that it was founded on.

If a majority of voters enacted a law, that banned ALL firearms, within a state, does that make the law legal? does that make the law right? Does the majority now have the power to vote away rights, just because a majority of people voted on it?

Who is to say it will end with gay marriage. What's next, the majority of voters within a state, enacting a bill that names Christianity the official religion of a state, or a bill/law that makes it illegal to not attend temple?

The people who wrote the U.S. constitution, and wrote/helped write the constitutions of the states thereafter, were people who wanted a system of government that was ruled by the Law, and executed by the people chosen under the law, to exercise on behalf of the people. And, it was such people, who wanted a nation, united under one roof, that was built on the foundation of personal, and group-liberties, that could never be willed away by any one person, and by any group of people.

It took a king, in the late-18th century, and his government's majority, to force a colonial nation into open revolt against corruption, and tyranny. It took a Tyrant, and the majority of one political body, to drive a nation into genocide, and the near extermination of groups of minorities who had little-to-no voice within that government.

The Jews were not the only ones who was exterminated en masse, during the '30s, and '40s. The LGBT peoples, and gypsies, and mentally handicapped, was also exterminated by the millions. Not only by Germany, but by Soviet Russia. Majority-voters in the U.S. may not be rounding us up into death camps, but that doesn't mean that they are innocent and free from blame. The road to hell, starts with voters and fools, and ends with tyrants and traitors.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gay marriage is not a right. Has nothing to do with RKBA, free speech or anything else.

What's next, people can marry their dogs?

SFCRetired

Gay marriage is not a right. Has nothing to do with RKBA, free speech or anything else.

What's next, people can marry their dogs?

The right involved is the right embodied in the Fourteenth Amendment: No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The bolded and underlined portion is the significant part. No one should be denied equal protection of the law. When you deny two people their right to execute a civil contract, then you have denied them the equal protection. The key point is "consenting adults".

What gives anyone the right to dictate morals to their fellow citizens? Some of the very people I hear screaming about separation of church and state are the same ones opposing same-gender marriage solely on religious grounds.

Sorry, but it can't be both ways.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry, but I have not been brainwashed yet .... society should not, and has not, justified or legitimized abnormal behavior; if it were not for liberal wacky brainwashed judges, gay marriage would not exist. And it shouldn't.

SFCRetired

Sorry, but I have not been brainwashed yet .... society should not, and has not, justified or legitimized abnormal behavior; if it were not for liberal wacky brainwashed judges, gay marriage would not exist. And it shouldn't.

Going by your criteria, carrying a firearm should not be justified or legitimized as a large number of our society view it as abnormal behavior. There is no brainwashing involved, merely a critical reading of the Supreme Law of the Land, the United States Constitution. You should try it some time as it is very enlightening.

Had the LGBT community pushed the "civil contract" aspect and left the word "marriage" out of it, I do believe there would have been far less outrage than what we see now.

Jack House

Judge Daughtry should resign in protest .... like HE can override the people whenever HE feels its due. And he likely thinks that the RBKA is obsolete too.

Unfortunately for you, the majority of Americans support same-sex marriage. ;)

Fortunately for you, enforcing the constitution means doing things that isn't always popular.

Unfortunately for you, as SFC already pointed out, you're going up against the constitution on this issue. Your bigotry does not override their right to equal protection.

You lose. :rolleyes:

Jack House

Had the LGBT community pushed the "civil contract" aspect and left the word "marriage" out of it, I do believe there would have been far less outrage than what we see now.
Marriage isn't owned by the Christian church. This argument that "marriage belongs to the church" is null, because once again, the Christian church is not the only institution that has instituted marriage. It does not belong to the Christian church.

notalawyer

Marriage isn't owned by the Christian church. This argument that "marriage belongs to the church" is null, because once again, the Christian church is not the only institution that has instituted marriage. It does not belong to the Christian church.

Well whoever it belongs to (I submit it's the poeple getting married) it certainly is none of the government's business. :banghead:

Jack House

Well whoever it belongs to (I submit it's the poeple getting married) it certainly is none of the government's business. :banghead:

If you don't want the Government involved in your marriage, don't get a marriage license? Seems simple enough to me. :uhoh:

SFCRetired

My premise is, and always has been this: What we call "marriage" consists of two elements. One element is a largely religious thing and belongs in the realm of religion (not necessarily just Christian). Government has no business interfering with that element.

The other element is a civil contract and should be governed by the laws that apply to civil contracts and not by religious dictates. The civil contract is solely the business of government.

My comment, Mr. House, was meant to point out that the term "marriage" is what got some folks' knickers in a twist. Had the LGBT community not used that word, I do believe we would have same-sex unions in almost all of the fifty states. There is some emotional baggage there and the desire to force one's system of beliefs down other folks' throats.

That desire, by the way, was never a part of the teachings of Christ.

Primus

My premise is, and always has been this: What we call "marriage" consists of two elements. One element is a largely religious thing and belongs in the realm of religion (not necessarily just Christian). Government has no business interfering with that element.

The other element is a civil contract and should be governed by the laws that apply to civil contracts and not by religious dictates. The civil contract is solely the business of government.

My comment, Mr. House, was meant to point out that the term "marriage" is what got some folks' knickers in a twist. Had the LGBT community not used that word, I do believe we would have same-sex unions in almost all of the fifty states. There is some emotional baggage there and the desire to force one's system of beliefs down other folks' throats.

That desire, by the way, was never a part of the teachings of Christ.
Well said. +1

The Truth

McBeth's true colors are showing. Might have to remove the quote from my sig out of protest. That'll convince him.

It's funny, for someone who claims to be so liberty minded, he seems to be content with limiting people's freedoms based on his own personal prejudices and bigotry.

OC = OK, despite the fact that it may make closed-minded, ignorant people uncomfortable.

Gay = not OK, because it makes closed-minded, ignorant people uncomfortable.