• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Campus Carry Be Legit If New Laws Sail Through?

The Expert

There is a nice long thread here about putting up support for the new bills designed to eliminate Pistol Free Zones. I was wondering, if it passes, will we be good-to-go to carry at the major state Universities? I know that this is a hiccup area because they are considered "separate constitutional entities" and all.

This is a big concern for me as I currently attend U-M Dearborn and am targeting a graduate program at Wayne State in the next 18 months. So I spend a LOT of time in these places.

TheQ

Unless MCL 123.1101 gets modified to include colleges/university, local university laws could still apply.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Unless MCL 123.1101 gets modified to include colleges/university, local university laws could still apply.

Though dorms and classrooms you would be allowed to CC by state law, but can be banned by the individual colleges until as Q stated they were included under a new preemption law.

Sefner

Though dorms and classrooms you would be allowed to CC by state law, but can be banned by the individual colleges until as Q stated they were included under a new preemption law.

This... For example, U of M can still charge you for carrying on any property owned by it for carrying a firearm. So until that is hashed out in the courts, even with the repeal of PFZs, I won't be carrying on any large college campus.

budlight

This... For example, U of M can still charge you for carrying on any property owned by it for carrying a firearm. So until that is hashed out in the courts, even with the repeal of PFZs, I won't be carrying on any large college campus.

+1 This bill will have no affect on colleges like U of M who have their own constitution.

aadvark

How is it that Colleges/Univiersities throughout Michigan are EXEMPT from ACT 319 of 1990?

Michigander

Also remember the community colleges act. In essence it was a power grab for all community colleges to be technically state owned and run, even though they are at the community level in name. It gives them unbounded authority to do whatever their boards decide to do. Only laws that tell them exactly what they can't do over ride this law.

So, you'd have thought that the bill of rights and the Michigan constitution would apply, and that therefore they couldn't touch carrying any more than they could decide to have JBT's tear gas and baton students at random to ensure order. But by the way some absurd portions of this law are written, you could easily argue that this law attempts to give them the authority to do either. It is something that needs to be taken to court, or legislated on.

bb

parking lot

Also remember the community colleges act. In essence it was a power grab for all community colleges to be technically state owned and run, even though they are at the community level in name. It gives them unbounded authority to do whatever their boards decide to do. Only laws that tell them exactly what they can't do over ride this law.

So, you'd have thought that the bill of rights and the Michigan constitution would apply, and that therefore they couldn't touch carrying any more than they could decide to have JBT's tear gas and baton students at random to ensure order. But by the way some absurd portions of this law are written, you could easily argue that this law attempts to give them the authority to do either. It is something that needs to be taken to court, or legislated on.

If attending a event at U of M Dearborn can u park on their property and leave gun in vehicle

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
How about just saying if 10% or more of your revenue comes from a public tax source?

So if the state hires a construction company to work on the highways of Michigan and, if 10% of that company's revenue comes from this contract or many contracts, would this situation fall under your proposal?