• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handguns outlawed in the Keys???

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Heard a rumor that handguns are not allowed in the Keys? True or not? I would think this is not true. Any citations one way or another on this.

j4l

Nonsense.
Camped down there for 2 weeks a few months back. OC'd the entire time- even sometimes away from the camp. No one so much as looked twice. Cops included.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Heard a rumor that handguns are not allowed in the Keys? True or not? I would think this is not true. Any citations one way or another on this.

Expect the cops there and in the entrance counties to tell you crap like that tho. Possibly how the rumor got started. I've been told by LEOs multiple times that my CWP was not valid in Miami-Dade and Monroe. but only by LEOs in said counties.

If I was carrying illegally, why didn't they arrest me? Doing me a favor? Whatever...

Don't listen to the FUD. Florida has Statewide Preemption. And, it now has some teeth. Localities that violate are subject to punishment. Whether this puts deliberately false statements of LEOs into the realm of coercion is yet to be determined. Which LEO would like to become the test case? :p

Last edited:

Rich7553

Expect the cops there and in the entrance counties to tell you crap like that tho. Possibly how the rumor got started. I've been told by LEOs multiple times that my CWP was not valid in Miami-Dade and Monroe. but only by LEOs in said counties.

If I was carrying illegally, why didn't they arrest me? Doing me a favor? Whatever...

Don't listen to the FUD. Florida has Statewide Preemption. And, it now has some teeth. Localities that violate are subject to punishment. Whether this puts deliberately false statements of LEOs into the realm of coercion is yet to be determined. Which LEO would like to become the test case? :p

If it can be proven that a LEO (or any local government entity) knowingly and willfully misrepresented the law, it can be argued in a court on the basis of denial of constitutional rights under color of law (42 USC 1983).

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
If it can be proven that a LEO (or any local government entity) knowingly and willfully misrepresented the law, it can be argued in a court on the basis of denial of constitutional rights under color of law (42 USC 1983).

Sure, it can be argued. But can it be won?

ADulay

Absolutely not true. Try to find out who gave you that "rumor" and set them straight so they'll not continue to put out incorrect information in the future.

AD

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Thanks for the responses. Just what I thought...Preemption rules!

My brother was down in Marathon for a week about a month or so ago and heard it from some locals. I told him that I doubt it's true, but would check with you guys. I'll pass it on so he knows for next time.

Thanks again.