• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Gun Competition

Aknazer

I'm thinking of getting involved in three gun and was curious if anyone here did three gun and if so what type of gear they use. I still need to figure out what type of gear to get for ammo pouches and what not. I tried to talk to a person at my local gun range about it but it felt like he was simply trying to make a sale rather than actually help me get started.

CO-Joe

I'm thinking of getting involved in three gun and was curious if anyone here did three gun and if so what type of gear they use. I still need to figure out what type of gear to get for ammo pouches and what not. I tried to talk to a person at my local gun range about it but it felt like he was simply trying to make a sale rather than actually help me get started.

I'd suggest actually going to a match, observing the flow of things, introducing yourself to people who look like they know what they're doing and asking questions--before you even attempt your first match. You'll certainly find a lot of folk very helpful to the new guys.

As much as he might have wanted to make a sale, chances are the guy at your local gun range has only heard about competitions, or otherwise simply has no clue or interest. Also, get familiar with each type of match/organization, and whatever rules that particular match uses, the types of classes (so you can get an idea of what class you'll be in with your equipment) USPSA, IDPA, IPSC are the big ones.

Also, it's not a bad idea to frequent forums which are more dedicated to this sort of thing: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ has a lot of helpful people.

Aknazer

I'd suggest actually going to a match, observing the flow of things, introducing yourself to people who look like they know what they're doing and asking questions--before you even attempt your first match. You'll certainly find a lot of folk very helpful to the new guys.

As much as he might have wanted to make a sale, chances are the guy at your local gun range has only heard about competitions, or otherwise simply has no clue or interest. Also, get familiar with each type of match/organization, and whatever rules that particular match uses, the types of classes (so you can get an idea of what class you'll be in with your equipment) USPSA, IDPA, IPSC are the big ones.

Also, it's not a bad idea to frequent forums which are more dedicated to this sort of thing: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ has a lot of helpful people.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the forum and see about watching a local match and talking with them before I go out and buy a bunch of gear.

Hey, Aknazer, are you a member of Oklahoma Shooters ? You will find plenty of competitors there and get better info.

What range were you at, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not a member but I'll be sure to check them out as well. And I was up at H&H when I asked about the gear. The guy said "up in my division..." that I would need a speed holster for the pistol if I want to be competative (a serpa has an extra button and you will just fumble with it) and that a pump shotgun flat out won't work because everyone else will be finished with the stage before I can even reload a round (I mean seriously? From what I've seen a stage can take over a minute depending on length and you want to say it will be over before I can reload? Talk about over exaggerating!). Overall he came off as a bit cocky/arrogant and that what I have was just sub-par or flat out won't work and I'll need to buy his gear if I want any chance. And it's like, I understand that what I have can't "compete" with people who have spent 5-10k+ on their gear, but that doesn't mean it can't be used to get out there, try it out, and just have fun.

As I've only just started looking into all of this and trying to google 3 gun doesn't give a whole lot of useful information about where to get involved locally or gear outside of the guns, it seemed like "competing" was really the main way to even try and practice running stages.

Yard Sale

I used to compete in three gun, even won 33.33% of a national championship, heh. :) There are different organizations with different rules for the guns, equipment, and ammo. Do you want to buy lowest-common-denominator equipment to shoot with more organizations? Or do you already have something and you want to find out who you can shoot with?

The basic guns would be an AR-15, an autoloading shotgun, and a high-capacity pistol. Pistol cartridge depends on the rules, 9mm or .40. Add a low-power optic to the rifle to shoot in Tactical or Open division, a bipod to shoot in Open. Speedloaders for the shotgun to shoot in Open, or belt stackers for other divisions. Holster depends on the division and pistol. You'd need a locking race holster for an Open gun, but anything else can use something like an Uncle Mike's molded. One or two rifle magazine pouches. Several pistol magazine pouches. Velcro inner/outer belt system, maybe even two outer belts for configuring for different gun combos. The Safariland clip-on dealio might be the way to go for that now.

If you want to shoot a .45 1911, pump gun, .308, or something similarly uncompetitive you shoot look at the Heavy Metal division.

You should go to a match and see what people are using.

Aknazer

I used to compete in three gun, even won 33.33% of a national championship, heh. :) There are different organizations with different rules for the guns, equipment, and ammo. Do you want to buy lowest-common-denominator equipment to shoot with more organizations? Or do you already have something and you want to find out who you can shoot with?

The basic guns would be an AR-15, an autoloading shotgun, and a high-capacity pistol. Pistol cartridge depends on the rules, 9mm or .40. Add a low-power optic to the rifle to shoot in Tactical or Open division, a bipod to shoot in Open. Speedloaders for the shotgun to shoot in Open, or belt stackers for other divisions. Holster depends on the division and pistol. You'd need a locking race holster for an Open gun, but anything else can use something like an Uncle Mike's molded. One or two rifle magazine pouches. Several pistol magazine pouches. Velcro inner/outer belt system, maybe even two outer belts for configuring for different gun combos. The Safariland clip-on dealio might be the way to go for that now.

If you want to shoot a .45 1911, pump gun, .308, or something similarly uncompetitive you shoot look at the Heavy Metal division.

You should go to a match and see what people are using.

It's more that I want to shoot with the guns I already have; and those would be an MSAR AUG, XDm-40, and Mossberg 500. I can't really afford to go out and buy new guns and even if I could my wife would kill me if I did because "we don't need any more guns. Go buy ammo!" The AUG has a reflex sight on it, but the triangle is a 12MoA so I need to work on sighting it in for the upper tip of the triangle. About the only gear that I have is 6 mags for the XDm, serpa holster for the XDm, 3x42rd mags for the AUG, 8x30rd mags for the AUG, and a web belt (not sure where the shoulder straps for it are or if I even still have them); but no actual pouches (unless I can find the military issued m16 ammo pouch, but it's a buckle and not velcro/elastic for retention).

okboomer

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the forum and see about watching a local match and talking with them before I go out and buy a bunch of gear.

Best way to go :lol:

I'm not a member but I'll be sure to check them out as well. And I was up at H&H when I asked about the gear. The guy said "up in my division..." that I would need a speed holster for the pistol if I want to be competative (a serpa has an extra button and you will just fumble with it) and that a pump shotgun flat out won't work because everyone else will be finished with the stage before I can even reload a round (I mean seriously? From what I've seen a stage can take over a minute depending on length and you want to say it will be over before I can reload? Talk about over exaggerating!). Overall he came off as a bit cocky/arrogant and that what I have was just sub-par or flat out won't work and I'll need to buy his gear if I want any chance. And it's like, I understand that what I have can't "compete" with people who have spent 5-10k+ on their gear, but that doesn't mean it can't be used to get out there, try it out, and just have fun.

I will go to their range. But, when it comes to buying, unless the ex is there with me, they pretty much disregard me even when I am asking to see a specific pistol. I got so frustrated one day, I pulled my EMP 9mm, safed it, held it out to the jerk and asked to see the .40 or the .45 that would match this pistol. His boss had walked up, and offered me $1200 (I paid less than $900) for the pistol on the spot as they could not get them in due to high demand at the time :monkey I said no and he asked what I was looking for, so I told him and he pulled his little note book out and made notes on my features (wood grip, brushed nickle slide, etc.) and told me to check back in the 3rd quarter.

Since then, I have purchased a mil-spec Springfield M14 and the same manager waits on me each time I wander into the sales department.

Now, when it comes to the range, the guys over there have never had any problem waiting on me and the experienced employees will tell the new guys about my range requests. I generally go in there with anywhere from 3-5 folks and we will take 2 lanes side-by-side on the rifle range as we are also shooting anywhere from 3-7 pistols. We also usually buy anywhere from 10-20 targets and spend upwards of 2 hours or more. The RSO has only watched us the one time and buttonholed the ex to find out what I was shooting (EMP and Kimber UCII) and when I came out, wanted to see my targets. Then he asked if I was interested in getting my teaching certification :lol: I told him the commute would price me out of their pay range (150 miles one way!)

As I've only just started looking into all of this and trying to google 3 gun doesn't give a whole lot of useful information about where to get involved locally or gear outside of the guns, it seemed like "competing" was really the main way to even try and practice running stages.

If all you are wanting to do is practice 'running and gunning,' then an outdoor range might be what you are looking for. Also, taking a tactical pistol (shotgun, rifle) course will give you the basics you are looking for. I can PM you the contact info for a place in north Moore if you are interested.

Aknazer

Yea I would love to get some information on where to take some courses and what not. Also the main competitions that I would be interested in are the ones where you don't get to see the course beforehand (I think I saw it referred to as SOF three gun on one site).

And I've found h&h to be a bit overpriced on their guns (but nothing like gun world). When I was shopping around for my AUG they quoted me $3000 when I was able to get it for $1800 and probably could have gotten it for $1600 with a bit more shopping (but with where I bought it I didn't have to pay tax and it was close to home so I didn't bother to keep looking). Granted most of their guns aren't that overpriced, but I haven't really noticed any awesome deals on guns there.

I'll probably be heading up there next weekend to use their range though. I've never had a range officer watch me as far as I'm aware. Even when I've been teaching people how to shoot or have been shooting the AUG they have just left me alone.

Yard Sale

It's more that I want to shoot with the guns I already have; and those would be an MSAR AUG, XDm-40, and Mossberg 500. I can't really afford to go out and buy new guns and even if I could my wife would kill me if I did because "we don't need any more guns. Go buy ammo!" The AUG has a reflex sight on it, but the triangle is a 12MoA so I need to work on sighting it in for the upper tip of the triangle. About the only gear that I have is 6 mags for the XDm, serpa holster for the XDm, 3x42rd mags for the AUG, 8x30rd mags for the AUG, and a web belt (not sure where the shoulder straps for it are or if I even still have them); but no actual pouches (unless I can find the military issued m16 ammo pouch, but it's a buckle and not velcro/elastic for retention).
Well that would be legal for Tactical division in USPSA MultiGun and legal in similar divisions in other organizations. You just need 2-4 pistol mag pouches, 1 or 2 rifle mag pouches, and several shotgun shell holders.