• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter preparedness!

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I have looked for winter time posts but not been able to find anything to answer my questions. Winter is coming and it will be the first winter i OC. I was wondering if you are wearing a big jacket/sweatshirt that is long how would you ensure that your firearm is visible? Tuck it behind the grip or strap it over the jacket? If you strap it over the jacket that posses a problem when going into a warm area and wanting to take the jacket off. Please post up pics of how you open carry in the cold wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. Also since others will be wearing heavier clothing do you up the round to a "hot load" so that if you have a BG posing a threat to you you can ensure it will go through the clothing? Any ideas on both will be greatly appreciated!:D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I have looked for winter time posts but not been able to find anything to answer my questions. Winter is coming and it will be the first winter i OC. I was wondering if you are wearing a big jacket/sweatshirt that is long how would you ensure that your firearm is visible? Tuck it behind the grip or strap it over the jacket? If you strap it over the jacket that posses a problem when going into a warm area and wanting to take the jacket off. Please post up pics of how you open carry in the cold wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. Also since others will be wearing heavier clothing do you up the round to a "hot load" so that if you have a BG posing a threat to you you can ensure it will go through the clothing? Any ideas on both will be greatly appreciated!:D

Open carriers should have a variety of carry options. Winter or cold weather presents a bit of a problem as bundling up could accidentally conceal the weapon. If you do not have a licence to conceal, covering up, even if accidental would be illegal.

The answer to this is to have a winter option like a drop leg holster. This is a rig that straps to your thigh and lowers the weapon enough below the waist line that a jacket will not drape over it. Another option would be to carry a holster on a shoulder strap or a sling.