• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on a sidewalk

XDSTEEL

OK it is is not a catchey title but whocares lol. Between where I live and bunch of businesses there is a University. Now is it ok for me to walk on the side walk to get to those businesses? I am not cutting through the campus or anything but when I walk down the street there is University property on both sides so I am really more forced to use one or the other.

hogeaterf6

Well here in Ind no guns on school grounds, except if you are in your vehicle and dropping or picking up a student. I guess it depends who's side walks they are. Vermillions (I assume) or the colleges.

XDSTEEL

Talking about a post-secondary school in south dakota. I know the Board of regents dont allow carry on campus. I am using the side walk on the perimeter of the college that would be used by the public.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Definitely post in the SD forum, but know in advance that the Federal Safe Schools Act says 1000 feet is the cushion for a school. We all know it's unenforcible on a sidewalk that borders the school (on a city easement) and it's unenforcible on the city street. That said, you can bet there's some legal-eagle out there wearing a badge that is going to try to push the envelope on this particular issue.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Definitely post in the SD forum, but know in advance that the Federal Safe Schools Act says 1000 feet is the cushion for a school. We all know it's unenforcible on a sidewalk that borders the school (on a city easement) and it's unenforcible on the city street. That said, you can bet there's some legal-eagle out there wearing a badge that is going to try to push the envelope on this particular issue.

The 1000' foot component is null and void if you have been issued a CCW within the state in which you are a resident and in which the school exists. You do not have to have it with you.. you only need to have been issued the permit.