• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal lawsuit question

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Madison certainly knew about Racine. Were they hesitant? They don't care about money. They don't care about public opinion. They will care about an violating an order from a federal judge. It's the only thing that will put their personal liberty in jeopardy. It isn't critical if a decision is published or non-binding precedent because it is binding on the parties in the case at bar.

Madison sure did know (or find out) about Racine in the aftermath of the obstruction tickets. Why do you think they rescinded them????

Madison also sure did know about Judge Adelman's DECISION in the Gonzalez case. That is what they are precariously relying on to think they'll get away with the DC charges.

I know this because that's what the MPD spokesperson put in front of me before the panel discussion I had with the Madison Police Chief.

Of course, the facts of that case are totally different and that decision is on appeal. Its still not keeping the MPD from relying on it to charge the Madison 5 with DC.

As to anything more specific on WCI's legal strategies, I'll just say that we have some of the most qualified carry-rights attorneys in the country and as far as postings on an internet message forum, I'll leave it there.

M

McX

As to anything more specific on WCI's legal strategies, I'll just say that we have some of the most qualified carry-rights attorneys in the country and as far as postings on an internet message forum, I'll leave it there.

Sunglasses will be available at several locations, once the matter is done in our favor, you are reminded not to directly look at the flash.

PT111

When you file a lawsuit you name all the defendants in the suit. For instance you name the state, the city, the police department the mayor, the chief of police and all of the LEO as individuals. What you are doing is filing a lawsuit against each one of them as an individual at one time under one case rather than 15 different lawsuits.

You get an offer of settlement. You do not have to accept the settlement and can continue on with your lawsuit or settle. Suppose the city offers you $100,000 to settle. In the conditions of the settlement you agree to drop the lawsuit against all of the other defendants. You do not have to accept it. The city can offer you $50,000 to drop the lawsuit against the city with no stipulation that the suit against the others be dropped. You can take the $50,000 and continue on with your lawsuit agains the other defendants.

On the other hand you do not get any offers to settle or you refuse all offers and it goes to a trial by jury. The jury finds in your favor and they award you $500,007. The city is to pay $500,000 and 7 of the other 14 defenants are to pay $1 each and 7 of them are found not liable and do not have to pay anything. Or the jury could award you $250,000 from each of the two officers and nothing from any of the other defendants.

To answer your question, if you file suit against 5 different people/agencies/corporations you can accept or reject any settlement proposed by them. That way you have control over who has to pay. When you wind up in court you have no control over who has to pay. There is no way to force the LEO's to have to pay anything out of their pocket. You can file an individual lawsuit against each LEO and the city but the judge does have the authority to combine the lawsuits. In short making a LEO have to pay out of his pocket is hard but can be done.

M

McX

??Flash from the Neuralyzer, the "flashy blinky thingie"?

good comeback doug- touche'.........you still got it in you!

yeah, they'll use the flashy blinky thing to try and erase their actions from the public's conscience, doubt it will work on me though.