• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Treadquarters on Mercury in Hampton

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
... which brings us to the storeowner's worst nightmare: A OCing handicapped black customer, who is an Army veteran, and who has partially completed a gender reassignment process.

"All classes are equal, but some are more equal than others."

Why is that?

architect

lessons from history

He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability.

But let's not forget that protected classes lacked such status until enough people took up the cause and it became so through the courts and legislation. It may stretch one's imagination that those OC might become a protected class, but 50 years ago how did most black citizens react when asked to leave an establishment because "our customers are complaining?"

I do not think it all inappropriate to challenge a business owner or manager with this metaphor.

mpg9999

Check out Able Auto. It's probably farther than you would like to drive, but, in my opinion, it would be worth the time. I've OC'd into their shop several times. A while back, I had an extended conversation with Jeff, the lead mechanic/manager, about firearms and gun rights. From what I recall, Jeff is an active member in a local shooting club (I forget the name). And, in their waiting area, they have VCDL brochures/applications displayed conspicuously.

As for the quality of their work, I have never been disappointed. They are as honest as the day is long, and the prices are very competitive. There is a certain peace of mind that comes with having a dependable auto mechanic, and they definitely fit the bill.

Able Auto Service
736 S Military Hwy
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-1822
(757) 523-0020

Thanks, I ended up going here and I have no complaints. Jeff was real nice and we chatted about guns for a little bit while I was paying.

ArmedBarrister

Thanks, I ended up going here and I have no complaints. Jeff was real nice and we chatted about guns for a little bit while I was paying.

You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out for you. They have treated me very well for the past three years, so I'm always happy to recommend their services to others.

Just curious, do you still plan on sending a copy of your receipt to TreadQuarters?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Postcard Sent.

treadquarters.jpg

zoom6zoom

Good job, thats what I would have done, and why would you LOCK up your gun in your car, you CANT get to it if you NEEDED IT. I wouldnt trust no one.

Wait out side ?? lol??
Since his car would be in the bay being worked on, UNLOCKED, his pistol would have been out of his control and essentially unsecured. Yeah, that would have been a good idea.

TFred

Since his car would be in the bay being worked on, UNLOCKED, his pistol would have been out of his control and essentially unsecured. Yeah, that would have been a good idea.
I haven't looked up any code cites, but couldn't that fall under a reckless handling definition? If you left a gun on a picnic table in a park filled with children playing, and one of them picked it up and shot it, what criminal charge would apply? You know very well they would charge you with something. I don't see this being much different.

I'd love to see the look on this managers face if someone said, "You just asked me to break this such and such a law, which if I did, could make you an accessory..."

TFred

mam121868

mpg9999 closed minded

The neat thing about this individual is that like most, he heard what he wanted to hear. What was told to this individual at the TQ on Mercury was that I have multiple customers that OC. I respect that, as a military member with dead aim, I do. He was told that we have to respect all individuals rights and if anyone complained about the open weapon that I would have to ask him to stand outside. My other customers that OC understood. Most people that have weapons and carry with responsibility also have the ability to put their weapon in a lock box in their vehicle to ensure safety of the weapon...I am sure he doesn't carry into church. So if you have an OC permit and need service and don't mind respecting others please come see us, but if you are closed minded like this individual who only sees his view, don't! I am glad that I am not as insecure with myself to think everyone that has to do their job is interfering with my protected rights. I ensured for 22yrs that people like him can socialize with freedom....Get A Clue.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Basically the tirestore employees would have had "constructive possession!" Any of them felons, habitual drug/alcohol abusers, or guilty of domestic violence? -- you know ANYTHING THAT WOULD MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO PURCHASE OR POSSESS A FIREARM.

You actually did a HUGE favor for some or all of his employees!

Good for you and a good choice as well!

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
if anyone complained about the open weapon that I would have to ask him to stand outside.
Why not educate the complainer and ask THEM to stand outdside?
Most people <snip> carry with responsibility also have the ability to put their weapon in a lock box in their vehicle
They have the ABILITY and most decline. It's not smart.
I am sure he doesn't carry into church.
How are you sure? I carry in mine.
So if you have an OC permit
I don't. What is that anyway?

altajava

With all due respect Ed, we all have OC permits. Article 1, Section 13 in state and the 2nd Amendment nationally. In reference to mam121868, if he is military he should have informed his customers that are offended by legally carried firearms just what he volunteered to defend when he joined the military. I suspect he is misrepresenting himself.

TFred

With all due respect Ed, we all have OC permits. Article 1, Section 13 in state and the 2nd Amendment nationally. In reference to mam121868, if he is military he should have informed his customers that are offended by legally carried firearms just what he volunteered to defend when he joined the military. I suspect he is misrepresenting himself.
And with all due respect to you, we most definitely do not have OC permits. Those constitutional provisions simply ensure that the government cannot infringe upon our God-given right to self-defense. They most assuredly do not create or grant that right from their text.

Despite President Obama's preference to delete the "God-given" idea lately, the Declaration of Independence still contains these critical words:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.​

TFred

Dreamer

mpg9999,

Brilliant. nicely handled.

Vote with your feet. If more OCers handle their day-to-day business like this, eventually business owners will come around...

When some "anti" complains, they just complain and try and bully us to submit to their irrational fears. You NEVER hear about an "anti" refusing to patronize a business because they allow OC--they just cry and pitch a fit and try and bully us...

But if WE take our business (and money) elsewhere--EVERY TIME we are asked no to carry in a business--then eventually these business owners will get the idea--that we're not just a bunch of whiny, juvenile, temper-tantrum-throwing misfits like the "anti's."

We are COMMITTED to our rights, and are willing to back up our beliefs with our money--by taking it somewhere that DOES respect our rights.

Bravo, man. Keep up the good work!

TFred

The neat thing about this individual is that like most, he heard what he wanted to hear. What was told to this individual at the TQ on Mercury was that I have multiple customers that OC. I respect that, as a military member with dead aim, I do. He was told that we have to respect all individuals rights and if anyone complained about the open weapon that I would have to ask him to stand outside. My other customers that OC understood. Most people that have weapons and carry with responsibility also have the ability to put their weapon in a lock box in their vehicle to ensure safety of the weapon...I am sure he doesn't carry into church. So if you have an OC permit and need service and don't mind respecting others please come see us, but if you are closed minded like this individual who only sees his view, don't! I am glad that I am not as insecure with myself to think everyone that has to do their job is interfering with my protected rights. I ensured for 22yrs that people like him can socialize with freedom....Get A Clue.
Take your analogy and wrap it around a customer wearing an Obama tee shirt. Go ahead and ask that customer to wait outside because someone complained. Let us know how that goes for you.

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I can say for a certainty that if a shopkeeper / shop owner stated that if someone complained about my open carrying I would have to wait outside or disarm despite being a paying customer that would be the last time they heard from me and I'd be sure to tell all of my friends too. Heck, I don't even support gun shops that ask me to unload or suggest that I handle my gun unnecessarily, and some here would consider these shopkeepers as "friends".

I have and will continue to go out of my way to support businesses that support me even if I have to travel further, pay more or wait longer. Fortunately for me most places where I do business or do my regular shopping and dining are not someplace I had to search out to find a supportive place. They are the same shops and stores that most of us shop daily.

Last edited: