• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Brady Campaign using scare tactics!

ryanburbridge

This is NOT my writing! This was sent from HGreen. I asked permition befor posting.

Help if you want otherwise it's just more information on how the anti gun crowd work.

I am very sad to inform you all of the following information and hope each of you will take action on this issue, regardless of whether you plan on coming to the event or not!

The Brady Campaign has stooped to using scare tactics in an attempt to scare restaurants away from getting our business.* Brady Campaign members have called our next Third Thursday meet-up location, Big Wok in Manhattan Beach, and told the owner that there would be media, police, and protesters present.*

They have made our dinner appear as a very bad negative activity.* Currently, Big Wok is scared to host us and has expressed that it is considering backing out.*

Here at SBOC we feel this is not right.* We suggest that you tell Big Wok the other side of the story!
The restaurant's hours are 11:30am to 3pm and 5pm to 10pm, the phone number is 310.798.1155, ask to speak with the owner or leave a message for the owner.* Please give them a call as soon as you can!

Tell them that you would like to continuing supporting the business at SBOC's next event and by going there at other times, but you are not happy with the business' current stance and will no longer patronize their restaurant (and encourage all others to avoid them) as long as they take a stance in opposition to the rights of law abiding California citizens.*

We want to continue our plans to hold our next monthly dinner at Big Wok and want the owner to realize the lies that the Brady Campaign is spreading. There have been ZERO police at any of our monthly dinner meetings and the only controversy is what the Brady Campaign brings to the table. Encourage the owners to welcome SBOC and our very large family of supporters!

We need to make a strong stand here so that the Brady Campaign does not succeed and become emboldened against us, and businesses do not suffer future attacks from them.

Remember to stay positive and polite in your messages, let them know how enjoyable past events have been too!

Thank you all for your unwavering support for our Constitutional rights!

--

http://www.SouthBayOpenCarry.org

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Now we see why it is not beneficial to invite the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence to join us.

While most of us aren't interested in making this a political football, the Brady's will take this opportunity to make a media event out of something that shouldnt be an event at all and politicize the venue owners desire to simply make a dollar.

I do not recommend calling the venue owner, as this is diverting their attention away from their primary focus of running their business. If they want to back out of hosting, calling to urge them to do otherwise is probably going to make it worse. Cancelling the event will give the Brady's a percieved win. The business owner banning this activity will give the Brady's a genuine win that they will exploit. There should be a calculated withdrawl that will make the business owner some money while not being made a target of the anti-gunners.

The only thing that I can think of that might mend the business relationship is to have the meeting sans conspicuously armed people. If there are no obviously armed people present, there will be nothing for them to protest. You might want to turn this around and use this development to 'punk' the Brady protesters. Maybe someone can figure out some way to flummox the sign holders... while making the business some money.

Instead of organizing these mass events and announcing them to the general public, I would recommend keeping the numbers small and make the venue private, announced to only those who have RSVP'd. This way, the Brady's will not be able to contact the business owner to harass them into complying with their desires. Another thing to consider; the Brady campaign does not have the numbers to effectively protest multiple venues. I would suggest adopting a strategy of announcing one location while the membership actually meets somewhere else. Or having more than one meeting location on the same date and time, with membership spread across a territory.

hgreen

Now we see why it is not beneficial to invite the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence to join us.

While most of us aren't interested in making this a political football, the Brady's will take this opportunity to make a media event out of something that shouldnt be an event at all and politicize the venue owners desire to simply make a dollar.

I do not recommend calling the venue owner, as this is diverting their attention away from their primary focus of running their business. If they want to back out of hosting, calling to urge them to do otherwise is probably going to make it worse. Cancelling the event will give the Brady's a percieved win. The business owner banning this activity will give the Brady's a genuine win that they will exploit. There should be a calculated withdrawl that will make the business owner some money while not being made a target of the anti-gunners.

The only thing that I can think of that might mend the business relationship is to have the meeting sans conspicuously armed people. If there are no obviously armed people present, there will be nothing for them to protest. You might want to turn this around and use this development to 'punk' the Brady protesters. Maybe someone can figure out some way to flummox the sign holders... while making the business some money.

Instead of organizing these mass events and announcing them to the general public, I would recommend keeping the numbers small and make the venue private, announced to only those who have RSVP'd. This way, the Brady's will not be able to contact the business owner to harass them into complying with their desires. Another thing to consider; the Brady campaign does not have the numbers to effectively protest multiple venues. I would suggest adopting a strategy of announcing one location while the membership actually meets somewhere else. Or having more than one meeting location on the same date and time, with membership spread across a territory.

Several of us went ahead of time in person unarmed to arrange the event in the first place. This is not a "lets pick a random place and have 100 people meet up open carrying" event.

It was not until the bradys called and lied, making the event seem like a really negative thing that the owner considered backing out.

If enough people call and the owner sees that it will negatively impact business to not do business with law abiding citizens and that the bradys are the only ones making the events controversial, there is a chance they will not bow to the bradys. Either way, the owners should know there are people out there who disagree with the lies from the bradys.

I disagree with your other suggestions about smaller groups, multiple locations etc...
I have a plethora of reasons why, but you have your opinion already so no point rehashing them here.

The fact is people want these type of events as exemplified in our last event that had 70+ people in attendance. If you disagree you don't have to show up. After these events more and more people learn that open carry is legal and common place to accept it.

The mistake we made was not properly preparing the business owner for the chance that bradys would be calling to threaten them.

Gundude

It depends on what you want to acheive when planning events.
If you want to have a big event with the Brady's there, you are on target.
If you want to desensitize the public and LEO's to OC, I think small events gives more coverage.
We in San Diego have been holding small ones (9 ppl was the max) and have not had any negative contact.
People stop by and ask what we are about. A guy from Idaho told us we were "awesome". I have never been "awesome" before. I kinda like it.

mjones

Threatening a boycott is a moot - Bradyites can do the same thing.

Personally I don't like the idea of asking a business to take sides.

Firemark

It is time to adapt, Bradys are mobilizing to confront open carry head on and they have the "what about the children" cries wrapped up with the media. in a contest between UOC and Brady with Liberal media being the judge UOC is going to lose, at least for the moment. The bradys have to many friends in strategic places to shake to many trees and scare to many people thats what they do and they are good at it.

The have discovered that showing up to protest wasnt effective so they stepped up their game plan, which means we have to change ours.

Id say stop inviting them, and dont publicly announce gatherings until 24-48 hours before an event.. we need to be thinking flash mob dancing in time square mentality. Also start having a solid plan B meet location, make those liberals chase us all over the place in a vain attempt to engage us. Control the battlefield and when and where the engagements take place and we can regain position in our argument and not alienate businesses or people.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
If enough people call and the owner sees that it will negatively impact business to not do business with law abiding citizens and that the bradys are the only ones making the events controversial, there is a chance they will not bow to the bradys. Either way, the owners should know there are people out there who disagree with the lies from the bradys.

If enough people call and place an order and buy something, and happen to mention that they support open carry friendly businesses, I suppose that would be a good reason to call... If it isnt accompanied by some commerce, it will be an annoying interruption and they may feel like they are being used to mediate your dispute with the Brady campaign.

Keep in mind, I am only trying to offer constructive anaylsis to thwart the Brady provacatuers.

hgreen

If enough people call and place an order and buy something, and happen to mention that they support open carry friendly businesses, I suppose that would be a good reason to call... If it isnt accompanied by some commerce, it will be an annoying interruption and they may feel like they are being used to mediate your dispute with the Brady campaign.

Keep in mind, I am only trying to offer constructive anaylsis to thwart the Brady provacatuers.

People have been stopping by all day leaving business cards and saying that they look forward to dining there on the third Thursday open carry event.

Everything is positive.

hgreen

It is time to adapt, Bradys are mobilizing to confront open carry head on and they have the "what about the children" cries wrapped up with the media. in a contest between UOC and Brady with Liberal media being the judge UOC is going to lose, at least for the moment. The bradys have to many friends in strategic places to shake to many trees and scare to many people thats what they do and they are good at it.

The have discovered that showing up to protest wasnt effective so they stepped up their game plan, which means we have to change ours.

Id say stop inviting them, and dont publicly announce gatherings until 24-48 hours before an event.. we need to be thinking flash mob dancing in time square mentality. Also start having a solid plan B meet location, make those liberals chase us all over the place in a vain attempt to engage us. Control the battlefield and when and where the engagements take place and we can regain position in our argument and not alienate businesses or people.

I'd love to be able to do this, but truthfully, we have a hard enough time getting people to show up to our planned events at the right time and place as it is, posting on 3 different social networks, calendars, etc...

Maybe this would work for 6 people, but for 70? No way.

Best option is to find committed pro 2A restaurant owners. We have them, this one just slipped through the cracks.

Firemark

I'd love to be able to do this, but truthfully, we have a hard enough time getting people to show up to our planned events at the right time and place as it is, posting on 3 different social networks, calendars, etc...

Maybe this would work for 6 people, but for 70? No way.

Best option is to find committed pro 2A restaurant owners. We have them, this one just slipped through the cracks.

Well commited and willing to suffer negative as well as positive changes to their business. Right now they can make some good cash but if the Bradys get going and start playing dirty (I wont mention any ideas but imagine how inventive people can be if they want to screw with a business, and I dont put it past a Brady to play dirty). Pro commited 2A business owners still need to make a living, and thats what Brady will target. Just food for thought. (no pun intended)

The one that controls the battleground usually wins the conflict. Be mindful that if you broadcast the location in advance your enemy will prepare the field to his advantage.