• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Supressor?

Batousaii

A friend and I were discussing the supressor laws (both of us very happy it passed), but were curious if anyone has open-carried a silenced pistol yet? What kind of reactions have you had? Any legal issues revolving around it that I am unnaware of? What are your thoughts regarding it?

Just curious :)

Bat.

P.S. This is in regards to WA state only, not intended to get too much into out of state issues.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Not really seeing why someone would carry their self defense gun with a suppressor on? Just with the increased time it would take to draw the weapon out to use it in a time of need.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
On the other hand the more rapid follow-up shots, improved hearing to detect additional danger, and lack of night blindness from muzzle flash in low light might just make up for the additional draw time.
YMMV.

tombrewster421

Not to mention you'd probably need a special holster, and most suppressors block the sights on the gun.

hermannr

As a person with almost no normal hearing left...I can really like the idea of carrying a supressed weapon...however...they have not made them small enough for that to be practical yet.

Hum, project...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
On the other hand the more rapid follow-up shots, improved hearing to detect additional danger, and lack of night blindness from muzzle flash in low light might just make up for the additional draw time.
YMMV.

I have not used a suppressor but I do not see an increase in follow up shots and likely there will still be a muzzle flash.
It has been reported that in an emergency as a self defense shooting, no negative effect to the hearing.
First one to hit their target has an increased chance of coming out ahead though there are exceptions.

massivedesign

The suppressor's added weight to the front of the pistol reduces muzzle flip, allowing faster target re-acquisition. Muzzle flash depends on the host weapon and the projectile you are shooting. Usually though, there will be no flash, unless you are standing in front of it... Which wouldn't be a good spot to be.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I have not used a suppressor but I do not see an increase in follow up shots and likely there will still be a muzzle flash.
It has been reported that in an emergency as a self defense shooting, no negative effect to the hearing.
First one to hit their target has an increased chance of coming out ahead though there are exceptions.

Try one out. Suppressors work by delaying the gas out the front. During that delay much of the combustion process is completed leaving little or nothing to burn (flash) after exiting the suppressor.

Your brain/senses/perceptions can be altered by your state of agitation, but your ear is still subject to the laws of physics. Unsuppressed gunshots damage hearing. Every single time. Just because you are too busy to heed the ringing in your ears does not mean that the ear didn't just get a walloping.

First hit certainly scores an advantage. That's why I said "might just make up for the additional draw time". It just depends on the situation. If you can draw the gun and prepare for the situation before you have to shoot the suppressor is an advantage.

Carry one of each!

.45ACPaddy

I'd OC with a suppressor attached, if I had one. I'd definitely keep one attached to my nightstand gun, again if I had one. I haven't seen anything that says you can't.

amlevin

Not a huge fee.

$200 isn't huge? Considering that that fee can be anywhere from 25%-50% of the purchase price for the weapon it's attached to (regarding pistols one would carry openly) I'd call it fairly "huge".

What would you say if you had to pay that percentage of your car/truck's purchase price for a license?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I see no compelling reason to carry a suppressor in my normal everyday American life. I think it would be contrary to my image and the desire I have to make carry (open or concealed) commonplace.

I do think it's totally cool that we can shoot them now though!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
$200 isn't huge? Considering that that fee can be anywhere from 25%-50% of the purchase price for the weapon it's attached to (regarding pistols one would carry openly) I'd call it fairly "huge".

What would you say if you had to pay that percentage of your car/truck's purchase price for a license?

Ah! You are beginning to see why the tax was set - and for folks in 1934 $200 was a lot more money than it is today. Just be glad we are not paying in 2011 dollars what $200 was back then. Remember, back then a family of 4 could live on the wages of a man making $5 per week - and that was a 5 1/2-day week.

stay safe.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Ah! You are beginning to see why the tax was set - and for folks in 1934 $200 was a lot more money than it is today. Just be glad we are not paying in 2011 dollars what $200 was back then. Remember, back then a family of 4 could live on the wages of a man making $5 per week - and that was a 5 1/2-day week.

stay safe.

Bingo. Going from $200 in 1934 was equivalent to about $3200 in 2010.

Still a ridiculous fee, but didn't stop me from buying three suppressors this year :)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
As to carrying a pistol with a suppressor attached I feel will hinder on two fronts, one the suppressor is close to the same length of the handgun of choice and would become very cumbersome to draw not to mention in an emergency. Secondly the reasoning of OCDO is to normalize the public in not becoming alarmed to citizens exercising their rights and carrying in this fashion I feel will deter a positive view from most.

:eek:If you do intend to make that move to carry while having a suppressor attached, make sure it is in a drop leg holster, wearing camouflage with black hat and boots and your Concealed Pistol Badge clearly displayed.:lol:

Batousaii

As to carrying a pistol with a suppressor attached I feel will hinder on two fronts, one the suppressor is close to the same length of the handgun of choice and would become very cumbersome to draw not to mention in an emergency. Secondly the reasoning of OCDO is to normalize the public in not becoming alarmed to citizens exercising their rights and carrying in this fashion I feel will deter a positive view from most.

:eek:If you do intend to make that move to carry while having a suppressor attached, make sure it is in a drop leg holster, wearing camouflage with black hat and boots and your Concealed Pistol Badge clearly displayed.:lol:

I'd rather make a dangle holster and (semi) conceal it from under my kilt ....

I don't own a suppressor, and probably would not OC one (or CC) - i was just curious about everyone's thoughts on it ;)