• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'll take this in .40 cal please

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have to wonder at what price this new technological marvel and whether they shall be available to "common citizens."

Dreamer

I wonder if they make these programmed to specifically hit family pets, for the DEA to use during no-knock raids?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Suckers of the world beware! I'm gonna make a fortune!

"Betcha $100 I can hit that tin can at 300 yards........blindfolded."

Presume you mean the tin can to be blindfolded, since the initial target acquisition would requiring some form of "sighting." :p

since9

Campaign Veteran
Pretty cool. But I dont know how many bad guys are going to stand around and let the bullet home in on them.

They home in on the target using a laser designator, most of which don't use visible light. If you think they'll see the round coming, at 2,200 ft/second that's a 2.4-second flight, but good luck spotting a two-inch round, head on, from 100 ft away, much less a mile away.

The photo was taken by putting an LED on the round itself. Actual rounds won't have those.

Last edited:

Sig229

They home in on the target using a laser designator, most of which don't use visible light. If you think they'll see the round coming, at 2,200 ft/second that's a 2.4-second flight, but good luck spotting a two-inch round, head on, from 100 ft away, much less a mile away.

The photo was taken by putting an LED on the round itself. Actual rounds won't have those.

Okay, that makes sense.
But have any of you ever try to steady a laser light past 50 yards away?
Even with the most steady of hands, the dot is all over the place.

Close up, yeah it would work fine.

Fallschirjmäger

Okay, that makes sense.
But have any of you ever try to steady a laser light past 50 yards away?
Even with the most steady of hands, the dot is all over the place.

Close up, yeah it would work fine.
Why would a laser wobble any more than the image in a telescopic sight?
Sure, if you hold the thing in your hands like a pair of binoculars it might, but for precision work with lasers you use the same tools and methods that you use with telephotography or long-distance shooting.

09jisaac

Yea, but when you're shooting you only have to wait for that right instant to pull off the shot. If you're skilled enough then you can pull off a great shot even if you have the most unsteady hands/shooting platform. With this you have to hold on the target, you have to be there when the round gets there. Not when it leaves the gun.