• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P229 or Walther PPQ?

MainelyGlock

In a month or so, I'm looking to buy either a Sig P229 SRT or Walther PPQ, both in 9mm. I had a .40 PPQ, and I LOVED IT, but had to sell it due to financial difficulties. Of course, it's hard to beat a Sig, but which would ya'll suggest?

Other purchases I'm considering instead of another handgun is a Mossberg 500 variant, or some decent optics for my AR. I wanted to buy an AK, but that's going to be virtually impossible by the time I have the funds.

MainelyGlock

+1 agree ...

Mossburg? eh .. not a big fan .. sold lots of them and got lots of disappointing reviews

Really? I've heard nothing but good things, but I've also never sold them. Mostly online stuff. I had a 500ATP that I LOVED. Hate having to sell guns when I'm broke! I don't know a whole lot about the differences between shotguns, but I chose a Mossberg over something like an 870 because the safety was easier for me to reach as a lefty. What would you recommend I look at for a 12 gauge?

snatiep

I have both a Walther PPQ 9mm and a Mossberg 590a1 12 gauge shotgun. I love them both and highly recommend them both!

hollabakzach23

My buddy had a p99 so a little older walther which I loved shooting. It had the decocker on the slide and trigger set which were some features I really enjoyed. I am under the impression they did away with the decocker on the ppq is this correct??

And I've never been a fan of sigs so I can't comment much of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

MainelyGlock

My buddy had a p99 so a little older walther which I loved shooting. It had the decocker on the slide and trigger set which were some features I really enjoyed. I am under the impression they did away with the decocker on the ppq is this correct??

And I've never been a fan of sigs so I can't comment much of them

I loved my PPQ, but you're correct, it doesn't have a decocker. I looked into the compact P99, just because I want a gun that's more easily concealable. I'm wondering how it would compare to the PPQ, aside from the trigger reset.

hollabakzach23

I wish I could comment on that for ya but I've only held a ppq that was on display at my local gander mountain so I have no first hand experience with them.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I HATE the Sig design! The slide stop just happens to be located exactly where your thumb rests if you are right handed, and it prohibits slide lock after the last round. I shoot with thumbs forward, but even with other posistions I still have trouble.

This is something you should test before spending the money on a Sig. Hold the gun like you would if you were firing and ask someone to rack the slide several times with an empty magazine in the gun. If the slide will lock back then you shouldn't have a problem, but I have heard several other people complain about the same thing.

My first Sig was a Mk25 226, and I loved the look and feel of the gun, but I cannot carry a gun that doesn't function properly. I have since tried different models and they all produce the same results.

As for the Walther, I would NOT purchase it! You can buy an excellent gun for the same price and get good customer service with it. You can also get a gun where the customer service doesn't matter because the gun is bullet proof! I have had HORRIBLE encounters with Walther CS here in the states, which is operated by Smith and Wesson.

MainelyGlock

I HATE the Sig design! The slide stop just happens to be located exactly where your thumb rests if you are right handed, and it prohibits slide lock after the last round. I shoot with thumbs forward, but even with other posistions I still have trouble.

This is something you should test before spending the money on a Sig. Hold the gun like you would if you were firing and ask someone to rack the slide several times with an empty magazine in the gun. If the slide will lock back then you shouldn't have a problem, but I have heard several other people complain about the same thing.

My first Sig was a Mk25 226, and I loved the look and feel of the gun, but I cannot carry a gun that doesn't function properly. I have since tried different models and they all produce the same results.

As for the Walther, I would NOT purchase it! You can buy an excellent gun for the same price and get good customer service with it. You can also get a gun where the customer service doesn't matter because the gun is bullet proof! I have had HORRIBLE encounters with Walther CS here in the states, which is operated by Smith and Wesson.

Not stalking the forum, but I was literally just reading through it again as you posted. Hence, the 30-second response time :cool:

I had a Sig 2022, and even though it's the "Wal-Mart" version of Sig pistols, I never had any problems with the controls interfering with operation as a lefty. The only thing that sucked for me was the decocker. It was all but useless as a lefty, and did nothing but take up room for me. I've used my friends P226 and P229, and didn't have a problem with my grip (I use "thumbs forward" about 90% of the time), but maybe that's because I'm not right-handed?

Would you mind going into detail about your experience with Walther/S&W customer service? I'm curious. I had a PPQ, but never had to contact them for any reason. I'm yet to find a handgun with equally good ergonomics as the PPQ, and also that sweet 0.1 inch reset ;).

I've owned Glocks, Sigs, a few Taurus pistols, Rugers, S&Ws, Walthers and Hi-Points (don't laugh!). What would you recommend? I'm basically looking for a mid-size handgun (to conceal easier than my G22 if needed) and chambered in 9mm (.40 is getting expensive to shoot). A SA/DA would be sweet, but really, I'm down to try anything. I can always sell or trade it if I don't like it.

hollabakzach23

Still voting Walther ;) just google smith and Wesson customer service and you'll see plenty of forum sights where people are constantly praising the turnaround time and ease of dealing with customer service!

exelci

In a month or so, I'm looking to buy either a Sig P229 SRT or Walther PPQ, both in 9mm. I had a .40 PPQ, and I LOVED IT, but had to sell it due to financial difficulties. Of course, it's hard to beat a Sig, but which would ya'll suggest?

Other purchases I'm considering instead of another handgun is a Mossberg 500 variant, or some decent optics for my AR. I wanted to buy an AK, but that's going to be virtually impossible by the time I have the funds.

i am you & you are me, in your gun dillema exept i dont like the .40 i had a G27 and didnt like it, i guess it was to much of a dramatic difference between by my then, 2 year old USPC.45 i got reallyproeficient with it, i now have 4 years with the HER and about.. 4.8k through. i DO highly recommend YOU the USP COMPACT series by Heckler And Koch (i dont work for them)

But, in the NOW i am (was) also in the market for, a mossberg or an AK BUT im not paying $800.00+US DLLS of my hard earnd money on a WASR10' i origally wanted a milled AK I was saving up for it and then suddenly BAN!! So.. meanwhile things cool of with congress (im hoping)im looking for a P226 and kind of P229, i love the lines on the P229 Elite, from what i have seen on pictures online, because even tough i am in Arizona (protected by brewer, i think!) you dont find 229s or 226s in your local gun shops. why are you going for the 229 and not the 226? i want the tac ops version.

by the way i have read only "WONDER FULL things about the PPQ.

sorry for the spelling i wright with my feet.

by the way i have read only WONDER FULL things about the PPQ.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

i am you & you are me, in your gun dillema exept i dont like the .40 i had a G27 and didnt like it, i guess it was to much of a dramatic difference between by my then, 2 year old USPC.45 i got reallyproeficient with it, i now have 4 years with the HER and about.. 4.8k through. i DO highly recommend YOU the USP COMPACT series by Heckler And Koch (i dont work for them)

But, in the NOW i am (was) also in the market for, a mossberg or an AK BUT im not paying $800.00+US DLLS of my hard earnd money on a WASR10' i origally wanted a milled AK I was saving up for it and then suddenly BAN!! So.. meanwhile things cool of with congress (im hoping)im looking for a P226 and kind of P229, i love the lines on the P229 Elite, from what i have seen on pictures online, because even tough i am in Arizona (protected by brewer, i think!) you dont find 229s or 226s in your local gun shops. why are you going for the 229 and not the 226? i want the tac ops version.

by the way i have read only "WONDER FULL things about the PPQ.

sorry for the spelling i wright with my feet.

by the way i have read only WONDER FULL things about the PPQ.

I like H&K's, but I feel as though they are a bit overpriced. If there's a USP Compact V2 out there i'll definitely check it out. I've only used one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I know what you mean, I've been wanting an AK for awhile now, but people locally here are selling $400 AK's for $1200. Hell no!

I'm going for the 229 mostly because of size, and because I was able to get a better grip on it than the 226 for some reason when I used them both. I already have a full-size duty pistol (Glock 22), so I'm looking for something a little smaller. Before I sold a lot of my handguns to build my AR, I had a few different sizes, but now it's just the Glock.

Right now though, I'm having trouble finding either the P229 or PPQ at all, either online or in stores.

exelci

I like H&K's, but I feel as though they are a bit overpriced. If there's a USP Compact V2 out there i'll definitely check it out. I've only used one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I know what you mean, I've been wanting an AK for awhile now, but people locally here are selling $400 AK's for $1200. Hell no!

I'm going for the 229 mostly because of size, and because I was able to get a better grip on it than the 226 for some reason when I used them both. I already have a full-size duty pistol (Glock 22), so I'm looking for something a little smaller. Before I sold a lot of my handguns to build my AR, I had a few different sizes, but now it's just the Glock.

Right now though, I'm having trouble finding either the P229 or PPQ at all, either online or in stores.

i have seen them at gunsamerica a little over priced.

may whatever you choose protect you like your gurdian angel. (by the way the usp has a tiny angel laser- engraved on the slide.(..im just saying)

Last edited:

exelci

i have seen them at gunsamerica a kittle over priced.may whatever you choose protect you like your gurdian angel. (by the way the usp has a tiny angel engraved on the slide.(..im just saying)

tomrkba

What is the first thing you do when the gun goes "Click!"?

You reload.

Why is a closed slide such an issue? I see many people who should know better trying to fire a gun with the slide locked back. If the gun stops working, reload. If it doesn't work again, the go to the backup plan.

My vote is to rent both guns and get the one you like best.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I got the chance to use a 5906 and now the decision must be made between three guns! That S&W is awesome, the grip is awesome, and the recoil (even though it's a 9mm) is virtually non-existent.

hollabakzach23

Oh if this is now the case I vote the smith! Aggreed on the recoil. I've shot one.of them and there is really no snap at all!

MainelyGlock

Yeah, so I think it's down to a 5906 or 6906. Leaning towards the latter for better concealment if needed. Still want a PPQ, but A) don't like the new ones B) the older ones are currently going for $1,000+ on Gunbroker right now. What the eff?! As much as I want a Sig, buying the 6906 will also save me enough money to buy the 500 Mariner I want too. Yay!