• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No carry at local bank...

Kotyaer

Just a heads up for those of us on the shore (all two of us, maybe more...) Shore Bank on Chincoteague Island had a rather verbose no-guns sign on their front door. Plenty large enough to be seen while parking. I haven't checked the other branch on the shore down in Onley, and have not gotten a response from their "customer care" group about it.

Bank at PNC if you need to get cash, plenty of those, and they certainly don't seem to be upset by the LAC.

Mongoose72

Open Carry at bank is very important

Bank of Hampton Roads has a sign basically saying no weapons, backpacks or hoodies “For the safety of our customers”. I was taking my wife there the other day to open a personal checking account until I saw that sign on their door. We went down the street to the Wells Fargo at 2677 Virginia beach blvd to open an account while open carrying. The assistant bank manager noticed my gun and asked what model it was and said that he was a “gun guy” himself. We talked about local shows, etc for a few minutes. That makes 2 out of the 3 Wells Fargos I have been to in this area pro-gun. Lets support them with our business.

Lynnhaven mall: Pro Gun
2677 Virginia beach Blvd.: Pro Gun
Providence Square VA Bch: Manger: Roth-Antigun

I think that being able to open carry in banks and financial institutions is far more important than being able to open carry into restaurants etc. as a bank visit makes you more of a target for criminals after leaving than a restaurant visit does; and you could easily be standing in line when someone trys to do a robbery. Once my brother was leaving a bank with cash in hand (teller forgot to give him an envelope) and he had no pockets. A trashy looking customer started staring at his money; but saw me in the car staring at him and decided to just go in instead of trying something.

Another time my father used an ATM back in the early 1980s when they first came out and ans 2 trashy guys walked up to him and asked if he had gotten at least $100 out. My father looked at them and said $1000 and they just walked away. Being 6’3 and 270 probably helped! This all happened in Maryland where normal people have no right of self defense and we have to resort to such tactics to stop criminals. I tell these stories just to state how easily something can go down at a bank. And also to remind Virginias how blessed we are to live in a state where we have gun rights.

PS Did anyone ever get anything official from Wells Fargo on their policy? It seems like they are at least defacto pro-gun with a few Wachovia antigun holdouts like Mr. Roth; but something in writing from a V.P. or district manager would be nice.

Last edited:

HearseGuy

Glad to know theres more of us on the shore!

Thanks for the tip. Shore Bank in Cape Charles also has said sign, you know, for my protection...so they dont see me anymore.

Last edited:

JesterP99

I have gotten fairly positive responses while carrying in Bank of America. Both times I went in to get new debit cards I carried and no negative problems. I did however get asked what my profession was by a bank teller because they were all "scared" because I had been carrying. It's funny that they have gotten rid of the armed guards in most of their locations though.

I think not being able to carry into a bank is the same as Jared not allowing you to carry, just doesn't make too much sense.

TFred

I have gotten fairly positive responses while carrying in Bank of America. Both times I went in to get new debit cards I carried and no negative problems. I did however get asked what my profession was by a bank teller because they were all "scared" because I had been carrying. It's funny that they have gotten rid of the armed guards in most of their locations though.

I think not being able to carry into a bank is the same as Jared not allowing you to carry, just doesn't make too much sense.
Perhaps, but BoA stinks for FAR too many other reasons for me to ever walk into a branch.

TFred

scouser

If you really think BoA is positive then perhaps you should read item #8 from the VCDL mini update of Feb 20th

8. Time to boycott Bank of America - anti-liberty bank shuns local gun dealer

I got the following email from Richard Hanes and I have personally called Gary Lewis, who owns Gary's Guns & Transfers, to confirm. And it is even worse than described in that email - Bank of America is now demanding that Gary AND his WIFE close out all their company AND personal loans, checking, and savings accounts and cease to be a customer of BOA! Gary's accounts and safety deposit box are all in excellent standing and have been for the last TWENTY YEARS.

When Gary went to the bank to close out his safety deposit box, and, for the first time ever at that bank, there was an armed guard present.

I have bought guns from Gary and he has always struck me as professional and ethical. This attack on him is uncalled for and we need to all walk away from Bank of North Korea, er, America.

-

Gary Lewis, owner of Gary's Guns & Transfers, is my neighbor and good friend. I helped him a lot when he was starting his business about 5 years ago after he purchased Jim Jarrett's inventory when NYC/Bloomberg forced Jim to shut down.

I sent him an email about Bank of America shutting down Gun manufacturer's accounts some time ago.

He just called me to tell me that BOA had just done the same to him, without cause or reason. They even locked up his safety deposit box and
restricted his access, telling him he had to make an appointment to empty his safety deposit box and if he did not do so they would drill it and take
the contents!

Glockster

If you really think BoA is positive then perhaps you should read item #8 from the VCDL mini update of Feb 20th

And that's the dang problem -- finding a 2A friendly bank, that doesn't instead infringe upon on other rights, and that isn't a @$%# animal in their business dealings, oh -- and that actually has a branch nearby (my home, my business). I've had to settle for a bank that is pretty much "just" 2A non-friendly, and won't do anything other than the drive-through.

scouser

I can only speak for my own experience, but I haven't had a problem at my local Suntrust branch. I've walked in there carrying, wearing a baseball style hat and sunglasses (which I'm in the process of removing and placing on top of the hat as I walk in .. not because of any security concerns they might have over me hiding my eyes but simply to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing) and all I ever get is a "welcome to Suntrust" greeting. Other people have told me they have had similar experiences at VA Credit Unions.

Glockster

I can only speak for my own experience, but I haven't had a problem at my local Suntrust branch. I've walked in there carrying, wearing a baseball style hat and sunglasses (which I'm in the process of removing and placing on top of the hat as I walk in .. not because of any security concerns they might have over me hiding my eyes but simply to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing) and all I ever get is a "welcome to Suntrust" greeting. Other people have told me they have had similar experiences at VA Credit Unions.

Unfortunately Suntrust is on my list of those with business practices that I'm not comfortable with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Get enough of us together, and maybe we can start the Open Carry Credit Union--a full service, 100%-reserve bank. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What would it take to get one started?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't know; but, I'll bet it would take a few million dollars and twenty squadrons of Cossack cavalry to hack through the regulatory red tape.

Also, if we're going to operate at 100% reserve, then we're going to have to figure out how to keep money coming in to make loans since we won't be able to loan depositors' money or pyramid on top of it to make loans.*

*Fractional reserve banks don't actually loan the depositors' money out to others. That's a cute elementary school explanation. The bankers have taken that a lot further. Here's how it actually works. You deposit, say, $1000. The bank does not loan out $900 of your money. Oh, no. They've got an even better trick. They leave your $1000 in place, and create $9000 out of thin air that they loan out. This sounds simple enough, and leaves one wondering how it can be called fractional reserve banking if they leave your money in place. Here's how. When they loan that money to Marsha to buy a car, she writes a check to the car dealer. The car dealer deposits that check at their bank. The car dealer's bank then sends that check back to the lending bank for payment on the check. Which the lending bank has to pay. Fractional reserve banking is a huge balancing act making sure those checks coming back do not wreck the bank. In the end, the bank still only has in its reserves a fraction of what it would need to pay off all its obligations. If all the people, including depositors, demanded their money at one time, the bank would either temporarily close or fold.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What would it take to get one started?

Connect the dots: http://www.ncua.gov/Resources/CUs/Dev/Pages/Start.aspx

You do not need scads of money - just the ability to resist loaning out more than you can cover.

40-some-odd years ago I was part of a group that started a credit union. 25 original members and the biggest loan we made in the first 2 years was $500 for a used car. They now have 25K+ members and offer mortgages. The procedure is basically the same now as it was then.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey! These low dollar start-up sums sound better and better.

As to loaning out more than you can cover: that's the whole point of 100% reserve. No loaning depositors' money.

I'm thinking such a bank would be more of a broker--connecting people with money to loan with people wanting to borrow.

Last edited: