• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry Today

flhrci

I have been contemplating this all week since registering for CCW class and all the way through the class, which I passed Wednesday night.

I have been reading up on open and concealed carry and have found both to have so many similarities. I can't submit my app for CCW till Dec 4th so I went to the range this morning to get some practice in and also talked to one of my CCW instructors about getting used to carrying in public either open or concealed. He told me you just have to go out and do it and suggested a quick visit to Wal-Mart while open carrying to see that no one will notice. The conversation gave me enough courage to give it a shot.

Too far away from Wal-Mart, I went to Meijer in Gahanna and carried in the gas station, put the gun away to be legal while I drove up to the Meijer store and got it back out again. Lots of trouble to do that. Anyway, I went in open carrying with my jacket tucked under the holster on my right belt. Plenty of people around and kids to. The greeter did not notice and I walked all the way back to the ammo section with plenty of people around and even passed some people there getting hunting licenses. Looked at the ammo and walked back out of the store. About 10 minutes or so in the store. Made it back to my truck and put the gun away in the lock box.

I was nervous all the time and highly aware of my surroundings. I was actually shaking at times. Even this was a short open carry, it gave me the courage to do it more and to get used to it. I am not sure how to describe how I am feeling now about the whole thing. I guess I am still anxious about carrying but I can see myself getting used to it. I did feel the gun was part of me as the new leather holster was stiff so I could feel it hugging my body all the time. New gun, new holster. :)

Anyway, I feel good about my decision to carry and will carry more. I just want the CCW so it makes things easier in my vehicle and I can conceal if I want to.

I feel like I got over a hurdle in my life now. Just thought I would share.

David

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I was nervous all the time and highly aware of my surroundings. I was actually shaking at times. Even this was a short open carry, it gave me the courage to do it more and to get used to it. I am not sure how to describe how I am feeling now about the whole thing. I guess I am still anxious about carrying but I can see myself getting used to it. I did feel the gun was part of me as the new leather holster was stiff so I could feel it hugging my body all the time. New gun, new holster. :)

Anyway, I feel good about my decision to carry and will carry more. I just want the CCW so it makes things easier in my vehicle and I can conceal if I want to.

I feel like I got over a hurdle in my life now. Just thought I would share.

David

Greetings from Arizona David. Welcome to OCDO and to hear you've had your first taste of being an armed LAC (that's Law-Abiding-Citizen) instead of a subject. I am unfamiliar with the laws in your area, but I'm sure someone will come along and address that.

Since you're new, all I can recommend is:
1) You OC with a buddy or other more experienced OCers (you could organize an OC dinner, hint, hint)
2) You (SERIOUSLY) consider buying a voice recorder to carry on you when you OC. This is because the best way to cover your back is with an objective witness that remembers what is said verbatim should you ever have a bad encounter with a scared sheeple. Don't worry though, you'd be in the tiny minority if that ever happens.
3) You OC around the house for a few days to get used to moving with your carry piece (I think you've seen by now that gymnastics and yoga while carrying are both out of the question:D) and to break in the holster a bit. I thought I'd miss the look and smell of "new" on my leather holster, but it seems to get better with age (something I don't think can be said about the polymer ones).
Keep carrying, and try to introduce more people to it.

Bigbossman90

Too far away from Wal-Mart, I went to Meijer in Gahanna...

Probably a good thing you didn't go to that Walmart so soon after this

I was nervous all the time and highly aware of my surroundings. I was actually shaking at times. Even this was a short open carry, it gave me the courage to do it more and to get used to it.

This is normal. Everyone you talk to (open and concealed carriers alike) says something to this effect. It will become more normal. You just have to do it.

Rusty Young Man

"I was nervous all the time and highly aware of my surroundings. I was actually shaking at times. Even this was a short open carry, it gave me the courage to do it more and to get used to it."

This is normal. Everyone you talk to (open and concealed carriers alike) says something to this effect. It will become more normal. You just have to do it.

This is truth. I still remember the first time I OCed outside the house: It's amazing how you can remember so many details from your first time. Now that I remember, that also convinced me to join and start posting on OCDO rather than just lurk and read up.
Now OC is just another part of me.:)

JustaShooter

Congratulations and welcome to OCDO. It is always good to hear of a fellow Ohioan joining our ranks!

Others may have more to add, but I'll just comment on the one thing I noted in your post - you said you "put the gun away to be legal" and "put the gun away in the lock box" but you didn't say you unloaded and properly stored your sidearm - if you didn't, you should probably read up on ORC 2923.16 especially section (K) (5) (A) which defines "unloaded".

Once you have your CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you won't have to worry about unloading and properly storing for transport but until then, please make sure you keep yourself legal.

flhrci

Greetings from Arizona David. Welcome to OCDO and to hear you've had your first taste of being an armed LAC (that's Law-Abiding-Citizen) instead of a subject. I am unfamiliar with the laws in your area, but I'm sure someone will come along and address that.

Since you're new, all I can recommend is:
1) You OC with a buddy or other more experienced OCers (you could organize an OC dinner, hint, hint)
2) You (SERIOUSLY) consider buying a voice recorder to carry on you when you OC. This is because the best way to cover your back is with an objective witness that remembers what is said verbatim should you ever have a bad encounter with a scared sheeple. Don't worry though, you'd be in the tiny minority if that ever happens.
3) You OC around the house for a few days to get used to moving with your carry piece (I think you've seen by now that gymnastics and yoga while carrying are both out of the question:D) and to break in the holster a bit. I thought I'd miss the look and smell of "new" on my leather holster, but it seems to get better with age (something I don't think can be said about the polymer ones).
Keep carrying, and try to introduce more people to it.

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to find a buddy but I am not sure I know any one that OC's. I am goign to look into a recorder. I have seen that advice many times. Your tips on breaking i nthe holster are appreciated. I will have to do that. Wearing it around the house will help me get used to carrying I think also.

David

flhrci

Probably a good thing you didn't go to that Walmart so soon after this

I saw the coverage of the whole thing pretty much on tv yesterday. That very Walmart is the one that is closest to the range. I do not care for Walmart much anyways and it was really too far in the wrong direction. So, I didn't. Appreciate the advice.

David

flhrci

This is truth. I still remember the first time I OCed outside the house: It's amazing how you can remember so many details from your first time. Now that I remember, that also convinced me to join and start posting on OCDO rather than just lurk and read up.
Now OC is just another part of me.:)

I remember that short time pretty well. I was so alert and aware of everyone around me. Felt different from being one of the "Sheeple."

David

flhrci

Congratulations and welcome to OCDO. It is always good to hear of a fellow Ohioan joining our ranks!

Others may have more to add, but I'll just comment on the one thing I noted in your post - you said you "put the gun away to be legal" and "put the gun away in the lock box" but you didn't say you unloaded and properly stored your sidearm - if you didn't, you should probably read up on ORC 2923.16 especially section (K) (5) (A) which defines "unloaded".

Once you have your CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you won't have to worry about unloading and properly storing for transport but until then, please make sure you keep yourself legal.

Thanks for the welcome. I did properly put everything away despite how much trouble it was to do so. I just didn't say so. Didn't think I needed to but I do appreciate you checking up on me and trying to keep me legal.

Currently I am putting the ammo in the bed of my truck under the hard cover and keeping the gun locked in a case in the cab with me. Painful but I think ti works legally as well as protects my guns. Tha tway I have to get otu of my truck to get the ammo to use the gun therefore complying with the law. Might actually be over compliant now that I reread the regs a couple times.

David

Rusty Young Man

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to find a buddy but I am not sure I know any one that OC's. I am goign to look into a recorder. I have seen that advice many times. Your tips on breaking i nthe holster are appreciated. I will have to do that. Wearing it around the house will help me get used to carrying I think also.

David

:Facepalm::p But I know what it's like not having OCing friends. I'm trying to win over one CC-type guy (not exactly FROM CC to OC, just from occasional to regular carrier), and trying to make a carrier out of a female friend of mine. You can try organizing an OC dinner in your area. Quite a few OCDO members are from Ohio.

If you post it, they will come.:D

Last edited:

JHART

To the OP.. I can relate to you. I too had first experience open carrying,one week ago. First place was walmart. I was very self conscious. I felt as tho everyone was watching me,but in reality nobody was paying a bit of attention. Second place I entered was a small fast food place. This was really nerve racking! People did notice my firearm in this place,but nothing was said. After a few more times, I have become less conscious and just tell myself that it is my right and who cares what people think! I am starting to really actually enjoy it. It seems to have quite a positive effect. I find myself being much more polite and engaging in conversation with people. I love it!

Chuck!

David

Hello David,
I'm just east of Columbus and OC daily
Anytime you want some company just look me up

You can find me here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/315433208577440/

If you don't do facebook, you can shoot me a PM here, but I don't check them so often,,,,,

MountainDEWDjv

I vividly remember my first open carry. It had been after encountering a person open carrying in wal mart. I was completely taken aback... I had to ask him if it was legal! He then explained to me of the open carry status in ohio... which got me excited... shortly thereafter I began open carrying around my rural town (not really a public place.. hahaha) and around my house in order to get the feel and to work out the jitters. One night while at the music studio with my bandmate I got hungry, and I decided to walk to wendy's. I didnt want to take my revolver off and decided to let this be my first true testing of the waters for OCing. Needless to say I had a great conversation in line, got my food and left all without hassle or even a nervous glance. ^_^

eye95

Welcome David. Lots of good advice in this thread, especially buddy OC and a recorder.

Don't be put off by isolated instances at Walmart. My experience tells me that every one of them will be resolved in favor of the carrier--unless he got stupid. If asked to leave, leave. No discussion necessary. Work the problem later, even if later is calling the manager from the parking lot. Everyone who has handled an incident in Walmart wisely has come out well. Not always so for the bozo ejecting the carrier.

I live in Fairborn, not to far away, and go to Columbus often as my son lives there. He OCs from time to time (not often) and even joined as at the rally in January at the capitol. He rarely posts here under the name OMalley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
<O>

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm in Columbus often and have family in Westerville.

We can do a lunch or dinner while OC'ing to help get you used to it.

There is a meet & greet coming up in December on the east side of Columbus.

I'm sure you would be welcome to attend. It's at the Hometown Buffet on Chantry Dr.

joets185

I'm sure you would be welcome to attend. It's at the Hometown Buffet on Chantry Dr.

MWSY, is there a date and time set? A buddy and I would like to attend.

Joe

eye95

MWSY, if you would give me some details, I can tweet them. Also, I might be able to grace you all with my gentle presence depending on the date. Maybe OMalley and the new Mrs. OMalley could put in a rare appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MyWifeSaidYes

eye95, please tweet this. Don't forget to invite your favorite co-worker (seriously). :D

Here we go:

HomeTown Buffet
5805 Chantry Drive
Columbus, OH 43232

Monday December 16 2013
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm or longer

This is not an official gathering of any group. Just a bunch of OC'ers, CC'ers and other pro-gun types getting together and having dinner.

The buffet is about $15.

This location is open carry friendly.

Forum user BobK from Texas will be there that night.

I also have it on good authority that a blind man with a CHL will be coming to dinner with us that night!

Maverick9

In Ohio, good luck, remember to review the carry rules.

In addition if stopped, if approached by LEO on foot, do not resist, even if they belly bonk you and try to disarm you. Resisting is a crime and you will be arrested. (see the video of the Guy and his kid walking on foot carrying a firearm, who was arrested when he tried to resist it being handled.)

If questioned in stores, if told to leave, do not argue, ask for signs, tell the manager or his designee it's legal, be polite, leave your groceries, goods, food on the table and just leave.

Carry a recorder and practice in the house with a blue gun or an unloaded gun with a snap cap in the house. Have your roommate stop you during the day and question your sanity. Learn to respond politely. See if you can remember to activate your recorder (other times leave it on all day).

Just as the marines practice with a mock-up of their target, you should be doing dry-runs in the house with a knowledgeable person assisting if you can.

Practice retaining methods. Remember if you're wearing a non-retaining holster and walking to your car with food and a drink, you could be disarmed (not that many would try). Also if you're not using a retaining holster and leaning over your shopping cart as many do, you could be disarmed by a BG or by the Security Guard (it's happened!) so maintain awareness, pick a good holster, don't be a target, dress cleanly.

Good luck and welcome!

JustaShooter

eye95, please tweet this.

I only have 80 or so followers & not sure how many might be from the Columbus area but I've tweeted the event as well. Sure wish I could get out there, sounds like it would be a good time but by the time I left work and drove there it would be over.