• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court rules that the state owns your children

Freedom1Man

The state owns kids now? Cool.

I hate kids anyway. They aggravate me in public places, and when I'm shopping, and stuff.

Best part about being gay... NO BABIES! whoo! :D!

The state can have all the kids it wants, as long as I don't have to watch them have temper tantrums in my favorite grocery stores anymore.

I don't like goats in my favorite grocery stores either.

Brace

What if the state (or its executors) determine a vested interest in deterring homosexual behavior and practices, as is already the case in some places? It's darkly amusing that the gay rights brigade seems silent or indifferent to the existence of literal prison camps filled with their kind. I mean, who gives a **** about innocent kids being taken away in the night to be reeducated with extreme prejudice and taught that they can either be moral and rational or whole people, but not both. Gotta go after that gay marriage. Bennies! If Dante was right then may every silicon valley libertine face in hell the sufferings of those they abandoned in life.

stealthyeliminator

What if the state (or its executors) determine a vested interest in deterring homosexual behavior and practices, as is already the case in some places? It's darkly amusing that the gay rights brigade seems silent or indifferent to the existence of literal prison camps filled with their kind. I mean, who gives a **** about innocent kids being taken away in the night to be reeducated with extreme prejudice and taught that they can either be moral and rational or whole people, but not both. Gotta go after that gay marriage. Bennies! If Dante was right then may every silicon valley libertine face in hell the sufferings of those they abandoned in life.

Wow, I had entirely missed the homosexuality aspect of this thread... Oh wait, no I didn't, there is none.

Not every thread that you and that other guy (Drake is it?) post in can be about homosexuality.

Brace

It was a response to Drake saying it didn't effect him. Yes it is relevant. I have scars to attest to its relevance, you don't get to tell me that this sort of statism has no relevance to people like me.

OC for ME

That ruling lasted less then a year, and was unanimously reversed when reviewed en banc by the entire court of appeals
Cite please.

I suspect this is less a discussion of whether a court actually said, "government owns your children", than whether this is an example of government is headed more and more solidly in the direction of "owning" us.

For example, an erudite and perspicacious (look them up :)) commentator pointed out that a ruling within the last few years by a state appellate court essentially amounted to the idea that the state owns the people residing within its jurisdiction. I can't recall the state. The fundamental government ruling was that there was no right to resist a police illegal entry into a home.

<snip>
Indiana?

Of course the state owns your children. Your kids have rights, especially the inalienable kind. When you make a decision regarding the upbringing of your child the state has taken the authority to "second guess" your decision. Look at it this way. If you have a kid in school and demand to see your kid brought before you post haste. When they declare that a photo ID is required, demand that they cite the law.....not some insurance company policy requirement. Ya know what happened to a fella who tried a similar stunt.

Anyway, we essentially have the threat of and the use of violent physical force being used against us, as parents, if we do not comply with the state's viewpoint on child rearing.

carolina guy

From the above link to wiki:
So, what now?

You might want to quote the whole paragraph...

In the U.S., homeschooling is lawful in all 50 states. The U.S. Supreme Court has never ruled on homeschooling specifically, but in Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972)[9] it supported the rights of Amish parents to keep their children out of public schools for religious reasons. The Court has ruled however, that parents have a fundamental right to "establish a home and bring up children" along with the right to "worship God according to the dictates of [their] own conscience."[SUP][7][/SUP] This combination of rights is the basis for calling homeschooling a fundamental right under the Supreme Court's concept of liberty protected by the Due Process clause. Laws that restrict fundamental rights are subject to strict scrutiny, the highest standard, if the law is challenged in the courts.

The final two sentences from the Supreme Court's opinion in
Runyon v. McCrary, analyze Pierce v. Society of Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, 268 U.S. 510 (1925)[SUP][8][/SUP] and the Court holds that a State may set educational standards but may not limit how parents choose to meet those educational standards.

carolina guy

And the Supremes have never ruled on our individual right to bear arms, outside our "home." What is your point?

Me, homeschool, or don't, your choice.

Couple this:

that parents have a fundamental right to "establish a home and bring up children"

with:

Court holds that a State may set educational standards but may not limit how parents choose to meet those educational standards.

So...I guess I have to (*shrug*)...not sure what you are getting at...weren't you asking for cites?

We homeschool, but that is our choice and right to do so. Kinda like the RTKBA...you can, but you can also choose not to do so. My feeling is that people shouldn't complain when things go against what you would wish when you surrender the exercise of your right.

Last edited:

eye95

By "setting standards," they would merely be defining what "passing" is and what "graduate" means. "Standards" and "curricula" are different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

carolina guy

By "setting standards," they would merely be defining what "passing" is and what "graduate" means. "Standards" and "curricula" are different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

+1

And that varies greatly by state. In NC, we set the curricula and our own graduation standards.