• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner wants your opinion on dueling initiatives

Dave Workman

Needed: 500 or more responses to questions about dueling initiatives

The National Rifle Association today is running a poll with questions that critics might argue are intended to elicit a favorable response to its political agenda; a survey that by no small coincidence comes 24 hours after the Elway Poll reported continued strong support for Initiative 594 and less support for competing Initiative 591 in Washington State.

http://www.examiner.com/article/needed-500-responses-to-questions-about-dueling-initiatives

WHEN YOU ANSWER IN THE 'COMMENTS' SECTION, FOLLOW THE PATTERN THAT "JOSH" USED. IT'S EASY, QUICK AND TO THE POINT. Thx.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

For 594, you pro gun extremists need to stop waving your guns in my face, my children deserve to go to school without being shot by a paranoid NRA member :rolleyes:

The NRA should conduct a scientific poll, creating a poll and then going to sources that will vote overwhelmingly against 594 no matter how the question is phrased doesn't seem to be a good way of judging true public opinion.... IMO

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How about a link to the poll? I clicked on Dave's link, and it just went to his article about it.

The link is a hyerlink in the second line. It's blue - not the first hyperlink but the second one in the first sentence.

As for the poll? It sux, to be kind.

TRUTH ABOUT GUN OWNERS (TAG) POLL

PLEASE TAKE YOUR TAG POLL NOW…

1. Do you believe that the Second Amendment guarantees law-abiding citizens the Right to Keep and Bear Arms?
Yes No Undecided
2. Do you agree with NRA that no city, county or state government should have the right to outlaw private firearms ownership for law-abiding citizens?
Yes No Undecided
3. Do you believe that it's solely the responsibility of government to keep you and your family safe, and therefore, there is no need for you to ever own a firearm?
Yes No Undecided
4. Do you think Congress should pass more gun control laws, or enforce the laws that are already on the books?
More Gun Control Enforce Current Laws Undecided
5. Do you agree with the Obama administration that the United Nations should be given the authority to regulate firearms trade and dictate U.S. gun policy?
Yes No Undecided
6. Do you support NRA's efforts to fight mandatory gun registration?
Yes No Undecided
7. Do you agree with gun banners who believe that the names of all gun owners should be computerized and kept in a government database?
Yes No Undecided
8. Do you believe law-abiding citizens like you have the right to give or sell your guns to family members without being under the thumb of the federal government?
Yes No Undecided
9. Do you agree with NRA that law-abiding Americans have the right to carry a firearm for personal protection?
Yes No Undecided
10. Do you support the National Rifle Association's mission to protect the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans?
Yes No Undecided

Rigged, full of answer choices that are physically/legally/constitutionally impossible. And there seems to be no alternative to the NRA.

stay safe.

jsanchez

I read somewhere recently that the pro gun side has raised $800,000, how bout spending some of that money pointing out the facts that Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philly, and New York City have background checks and a lot of gun crime what gives.

I'm buying assault weapons now, $629 for an ar-15, then make some money when the ban happens. Mark my words this vote will be the tell tale sign that gun owners are not in power in this state anymore. We are going to be like California, here it comes.

range rat

For 594, you pro gun extremists need to stop waving your guns in my face, my children deserve to go to school without being shot by a paranoid NRA member :rolleyes:

The NRA should conduct a scientific poll, creating a poll and then going to sources that will vote overwhelmingly against 594 no matter how the question is phrased doesn't seem to be a good way of judging true public opinion.... IMO

Dude !! get a Grip..

EMNofSeattle

I read somewhere recently that the pro gun side has raised $800,000, how bout spending some of that money pointing out the facts that Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philly, and New York City have background checks and a lot of gun crime what gives.

I'm buying assault weapons now, $629 for an ar-15, then make some money when the ban happens. Mark my words this vote will be the tell tale sign that gun owners are not in power in this state anymore. We are going to be like California, here it comes.

The pro gun side money was used paying for signature gatherers.....

Don't be defeatist. We have several things in our favor..........

I doubt we will end up as bad as Cali. Most of the democrat representatives don't even like gun control as an issue. Even passage of 594 is unlikely to result in immediate new measures. And the campaign season hasn't even started quite yet.

OC Freedom

I-594 was one large reason I moved from Washington last summer to Idaho. Washington is sinking and I jump over board before she goes to the bottom, so to speak.

jsanchez

I-594 was one large reason I moved from Washington last summer to Idaho. Washington is sinking and I jump over board before she goes to the bottom, so to speak.

I hope that works out for you. Idaho is to hot for me, I have to have cold weather. I say patch the leak, throw out the bad water and right the ship.

jsanchez

I don't have a problem with background checks, but tell me why we need them now. We haven't had them up until now, show me the facts of why we need them now, or are we doing this just because some stupid mother didn't lock up her guns from her genetically messed up son.

And another thing, what the hell are you going to do about straw purchasers?

Were I come from the black gang bangers just had there ghetto mama's buy their guns, how are you going to stop that?

Seattle just spent $150,000 on a study about black people more likely to be killed later after being shot a first time and surviving, look at these dumb liberals.

Freedom1Man

I don't have a problem with background checks, but tell me why we need them now. We haven't had them up until now, show me the facts of why we need them now, or are we doing this just because some stupid mother didn't lock up her guns from her genetically messed up son.

And another thing, what the hell are you going to do about straw purchasers?

Were I come from the black gang bangers just had there ghetto mama's buy their guns, how are you going to stop that?

Seattle just spent $150,000 on a study about black people more likely to be killed later after being shot a first time and surviving, look at these dumb liberals.

I have a problem with background checks, they are saying that you are guilty until you can prove that you are not guilty.

They are a government permission slip to own/buy a gun. Any error in the government record keeping can get you locked up.

OC Freedom

I hope that works out for you. Idaho is to hot for me, I have to have cold weather. I say patch the leak, throw out the bad water and right the ship.

Fourteen years living in Spokane and having the liberal west side dictate their will upon the conservative east side of the state can break your hope for turning Washington around. If every voter in Spokane and the surrounding counties voted against 594 it would make no difference, the liberal Kalifornia mindset of western Washington would still pass the bad law. Washington is going the way of Kalifornia.

Yes, it is hotter here, but that means no more shoveling several feet of snow every winter and thats another win for moving to southern Idaho.

EMNofSeattle

Fourteen years living in Spokane and having the liberal west side dictate their will upon the conservative east side of the state can break your hope for turning Washington around. If every voter in Spokane and the surrounding counties voted against 594 it would make no difference, the liberal Kalifornia mindset of western Washington would still pass the bad law. Washington is going the way of Kalifornia.

Yes, it is hotter here, but that means no more shoveling several feet of snow every winter and thats another win for moving to southern Idaho.

You clearly lack any education in WA politics seattle does not monolithically control the state, that's a myth

WA has been more liberal as a whole then california even since the formation of the state

Last edited:

OC Freedom

You clearly lack any education in WA politics seattle does not monolithically control the state, that's a myth

WA has been more liberal as a whole then california even since the formation of the state

I did not specify Seattle, I said west side of the state, which is very different to the east side. The theme I would hear from people on the east side is how they are tired of the west side of the state controlling us and pushing their "values" on us. The west side of the cascades is moving further left and forcing the rest of the state to follow.

As for the voting myth, just look at the percentages of voters by county, and how they vote. Compare the west to east side of the cascades and you will see a pattern. Most of the population lives along the I-5 and so the east side gets the boot. You might remember the push in the eighties to break the eastern side of Washington, North Idaho, and Western Montana into a 51st state.

EMNofSeattle

I did not specify Seattle, I said west side of the state, which is very different to the east side. The theme I would hear from people on the east side is how they are tired of the west side of the state controlling us and pushing their "values" on us. The west side of the cascades is moving further left and forcing the rest of the state to follow.

As for the voting myth, just look at the percentages of voters by county, and how they vote. Compare the west to east side of the cascades and you will see a pattern. Most of the population lives along the I-5 and so the east side gets the boot. You might remember the push in the eighties to break the eastern side of Washington, North Idaho, and Western Montana into a 51st state.

First off, getting disproportionate highway, education, and welfare subsidies is not "getting the boot" I kind of wish the east would break off, they would be begging us to take them back within 10 years.....

If you look at election results, most of the west outside of seattle vote close to 50/50 with a few exceptions that are 60 40 the east voted pretty well overwhelmingly republican, and seattle is extreme democrat.

jsanchez

This is what a bus billboard marketing campaign would look like through Titan 360, who contracts with Metro.

15,000 people killed by guns in U.S. last year.

100 were from Washington state.

How many would have been saved by background checks?

This all fits on a billboard, is straight forward and gets people to think about the problem.

People want things that work directly and quickly, the next bill board would spell out the problem in simple term, and the bill board

after that would give the most effective solution.

We have 3 months to change peoples minds, and redirect the conversation in the right direction.

Please help.

EMNofSeattle

The pro gun side money was used paying for signature gatherers.....

How do you know this?

Do you have proof?

Or are you guessing?

I guess I have no papers, but I heard Dave discussing that gottlieb was gearing to hire them last year. And the news sources on the spending for the measures indicate that the initial 700,000 dollars POGR raised was mostly depleted