• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson SW9VE Your thoughts

SW9VE

I just bought a Smith & Wesson SW9VE, I pick it up this Friday. I was told by a couple people that it was a really nice gun. Right now anything would be better then the Hi-Point 9mm I have owned and had blow apart in my hand. Does anyone else own a SW9VE or have owned and what are your thoughts on this good looking 9mm?

jm62383

Sigmas are a great gun for their price, but ure going to need to get a trigger job. The trigger pull was set intentionally high(around 12 lbs) because they are DA only. Other than that they are a good firearm.

SW9VE

The trigger pull is only 5lbs. You mean the trigger pull is long. This I already knew and chose this gun because of this and it had no safety. The long trigger pull makes up for the fact there is no safety. But I do hope this turns out to be a great gun. If anyone has one and has been looking for accessories for it, I did happen to find a nice laser light.

http://www.lasersightpro.com/store-...-SIGMA-SW9VE-SW40VE-HAND-GUNS_1097027282.html

Sigmas are a great gun for their price, but ure going to need to get a trigger job. The trigger pull was set intentionally high(around 12 lbs) because they are DA only. Other than that they are a good firearm.

stungun

I had it, but I didn't like the DAO trigger.

I kept shooting in the dirt, so I sold it for the exact price I paid.

Then I got a DA pistol and learned where my mistake was.

I also learned that you should NEVER sell a gun. It will always be worth more later, and not just in terms of Federal Reserve Note value, but invaluable value.

... and the trigger pull on the Sigma is AT LEAST 10~12 lbs. That is the heaviest trigger ever. I wouldn't adjust it at all. I'd just learn to hold my wrist properly and shoot with it a couple thousand rounds until I thought I was a pro.

Last edited:

SW9VE

Well I picked my gun up BUT I didnt get the 9mm. I got the 40 for the same price and I like those better. I have shot a few rounds through it but since they are over $30 for a box of 100 Im not gonna do to much shooting untill I get some more. But I do have to say I like it a lot. 1000% better then the Hi-Point I have before. The trigger pull didnt bother me to much since I was use to the Hi-Point and it has a hard trigger pull as well. But I do have to say it is NOT the 10-12lbs that someone was saying they are. Only 5lbs just as the specs say, it just has a long trigger pull but I guess that makes up for the fact it has no safety. But I do have to say, I love this gun and if I had to choose this or the Glock, I would prolly take this just because its pretty much the same thing for $200 less. I am one happy SW40VE owner.

COMMANDER1911

I just traded my sw40ve for my 1911 commander. I loved my sigma though. I never ever had a problem with it. I just love my 1911 more:)

stungun

SW9VE:

Where are you pulling this spec sheet from?? Don't tell me Uranus!

What are you using to measure the trigger pull, in order to know that it's 5, not 10-12 lbs??

A Glock's trigger pull is ~5 lbs. Anybody with half a braincell can tell that the Sigma's trigger pull is AT LEAST twice as heavy.

hightecrebel

The SW9VE my buddy has tested as an 11lb trigger pull, plus it's long. If yours is 5lbs, that's good. I hope it suits you better than his suits him.

Last edited:

midnight61

SW9VE:

Where are you pulling this spec sheet from?? Don't tell me Uranus!

What are you using to measure the trigger pull, in order to know that it's 5, not 10-12 lbs??

A Glock's trigger pull is ~5 lbs. Anybody with half a braincell can tell that the Sigma's trigger pull is AT LEAST twice as heavy.

I suspect you have a lot of experience with people who have 1/2 a braincell...I hear it's common in Mississippi.

Kwassing

Had my sigma 40 for a couple years now. Love it. Went to Wolf springs and bought the 3.5lb trigger spring and im much much happier with it now

SW9VE

I did a few tests on my SW40VE. Trigger pull specs from Smith&Wesson say it's around 8 but in fact after testing is 10 lbs. I then did some research, found a way to drop it by a LOT. Ok, remove the slide so your holding nothing but the bottom half of the gun. There is a small pin at the back on the side of the gun, push that through and then pull on the metal peace you see sticking up. After you remove the trigger spring housing, you will see a large spring at the bottom with a smaller spring in the middle. At the bottom of the spring housing, remove that small pin and let the large spring fall out and replace the pin and put back together. Trigger pull on mine after testing is now 5 lbs. There are some videos out there that will show you how to do this but they are kinda hard to find so good luck. And "stungun", if you are going to try and insult someone, please make sure your a little over 12 years old before you do because it really makes you look that much more of a child. So please keep your childish mumbling to your self.

Last edited:

justherenow

I have heard no complaints about the Sigma's, except the trigger. Actually if you go back in time and look, Smith and Wesson was sued by Glock over the Sigma design since it was nearly 100% identical to the Glock, which I beleive is why Smith changed the trigger.

ZO6Vettever

My wife and I both carry 9VE's. S&W has done 2 trigger jobs on mine then I went to work onit and polished the slot on the sear where the pin slides. Tedious but well worth the effort. Very smooth now. S7W also replaced my striker and ground a touch off so it breaks from the sear shorter. This is not a job for anyone but a good gun smith. My wife's is about 1 1/2 years newer and her trigger is better than mine was. It's going back to S&W because pull is so long a few times it bottomed out and did not break. I thought about messing with the striker but don't want to mess it up. I'm nearing 2000 rounds with mine and wifey's about 500.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
Great gun for the money. Very much like a Glock durability-wise. Trigger sucks ass but you can get that fixed.

Smith's SD series is also very good for the $$$.

That said I'll stick with my Glock

Marc

Alright then, SW9VE do u know if that little trick with the spring will work on the SW40F? Cuz thats what i have and I love it but i hate the trigger pull. Someone else mentioned the lawsuit and said thats why they chamged the trigger, i can tell you they didnt change the trigger pull only the aesthetics of the gun. The 40F was one model discontinued by court order and it has a whole different look. But the trigger pull was never changed and i need an easier trigger.

ecocks

I love the Sigma 9VE. Carried it for a couple of years and it was on my hip the one time I needed a gun at hand (rattlesnake). Went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

The trigger never bothered me and actually gave me confidence in the early days of carrying that it would be a bit more difficult to have an ND with it during handling. I still use it as a range gun and have it handy in the house for home defensive duty. Solid gun, excellent cost and reliability.