• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rio Rancho Observer ( local paper)

RogueWarrior

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Lopez is an idiot of a lawyer.

Here's my post to that rag

"If Stephanie Lopez is the county attorney... Lord help you all. "According to state law, residents are not allowed to carry a gun out in the open," Lopez said. Lopez couldn't be more wrong. Not only residents, but any US Citizen within the state boundaries may open carry sidearms. (New Mexico Constitution, Art 2 Sec. 6)

Quoting Lopez again: ""Say I was licensed to have a gun. I could have it at home for protection, but if I didn't have that concealed carry (permit) I wouldn't be authorized to take it with me,"

There is no 'license to have a gun' in NM. The permit is to conceal, not to carry. What are they teaching these yo-yo's in Law Schools these days? If Lopez isn't a recent import from someplace else... she's incompetent to address NM gun law. New Mexico has been an Open Carry state since 1911 and prior... 'same as Arizona. The NM CCW 'Permit' didn't even exist prior to 2004."

Lopez is a product of statist indoctrination. She has no real concept of a Right.

Walt_Kowalski

You need to get on top of this, if you are local to this. You will loose your rights because 1 elected idiot can convince the other elected idiots, that guns make the buildings unsafe.... when the inverse is true. Reminds these folks that its is a constitutionally protected right, one that they swore to uphold if they are in public office.

RogueWarrior

Walt New Mexico has preemption and no county or local government can make gun laws. Plus I have already spoken to the reporter and told her about New Mexico gun laws plus have emailed her with links about it and you can bet I'll be staying on top of this

Sonora Rebel

Walt New Mexico has preemption and no county or local government can make gun laws. Plus I have already spoken to the reporter and told her about New Mexico gun laws plus have emailed her with links about it and you can bet I'll be staying on top of this

Suggest you 'educate' that County Atty (Lopez) in addition. She's ignorant of actual law... and the NM Constitution. It's small wonder NM cops are arresting people for OC.

Last edited:

aadvark

I do not know whether to Cry or Laugh!
Since when has it been Illegal to Carry a Firearm Openly in New Mexico!?
I thought the New Mexico Constitution said:
No Law shall Abridge the Right of the Citizen to Keep and Bear Arms for Security and Defense, for Lawful Hunting and Recreational Use and for other Lawful Purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to Permit the Carrying of Concealed Weapons. No Municipality or County shall Regulate, in any way, an Incident of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. (As Amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986)

It looks like Sandoval County and The Rio Rancher could not be more oblivious!

Last edited:

aadvark

SANDOVAL COUNTY ORDINANCE NO. 03-06-05.14A

BANNING THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS IN CERTAIN

URBANIZED AREAS OF SANDOVAL COUNTY

WHEREAS, the Sandoval County Commission may legally regulate the use of weapons within its jurisdiction except as limited by the New Mexico Constitution (ORWELLIAN DOUBLE SPEAK); and

WHEREAS, the area of Sandoval County extending north from the Sandoval County/Bernalillo County line to Highway 550, extending west to the Rio Puerco and extending east to the municipal limits of the Town of Bernalillo and the City of Rio Rancho (excluding municipalities and tribal lands) has greatly increased in population; and

WHEREAS, the public health, safety and welfare are significantly harmed and are at risk from the negligent use and discharge of firearms.

THEREFORE, based upon the foregoing, the Sandoval County Commission herewith ordains that the negligent use of firearms is prohibited in this area of the County.

1. The negligent use of firearms consists of discharging a firearm or gun within these geographical limits without legal justification; or

2. Carrying or having within one’s reach or immediate grasp, a firearm while under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or other drug; or

3. Endangering the safety of another or his property by handling or using a firearm or other deadly weapon in a negligent manner.

The provisions set forth above shall not be construed to forbid peace officers from carrying, wearing or discharging such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of their duties.

This provision shall not be construed to prohibit target firing on ranges that are permitted by Sandoval County and meet all applicable federal and state requirements. However, the discharge of such firearm must be completely contained within the limits of the firing range.

Nothing herein shall be construed to contradict or abrogate the rights granted to the citizens of New Mexico in Article II, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution nor shall any provision of this Ordinance be construed to abrogate the rights granted by NMSA §77-1-2 that permits the owner of livestock to kill any dog or other predators upon the livestock owner’s property that are attacking their livestock.

Violation of this Ordinance shall be a misdemeanor and may carry a sentence of confinement of less than one (1) year or payment of a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both in the discretion of the judge. However, nothing herein shall be construed to limit the discretion of a peace officer to charge an individual violating this Ordinance with any additional and appropriate charges.

If any section, subsection, sentence, clause, word or phrase is held to be unconstitutional by any court of competent jurisdiction, such section, subsection, sentence, clause, word or phrase shall not invalidate the constitutionality of the remaining portions of this Ordinance.

Because of the grave risk to the public health and safety, this Ordinance is deemed to be an emergency and shall become effective immediately upon its passage by the Board of County Commissioners of Sandoval County, New Mexico

JoeSparky

Centurion
SANDOVAL COUNTY ORDINANCE NO. 03-06-05.14A

BANNING THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS IN CERTAIN

URBANIZED AREAS OF SANDOVAL COUNTY

WHEREAS, the Sandoval County Commission may legally regulate the use of weapons within its jurisdiction except as limited by the New Mexico Constitution (ORWELLIAN DOUBLE SPEAK); and

WHEREAS, the area of Sandoval County extending north from the Sandoval County/Bernalillo County line to Highway 550, extending west to the Rio Puerco and extending east to the municipal limits of the Town of Bernalillo and the City of Rio Rancho (excluding municipalities and tribal lands) has greatly increased in population; and

WHEREAS, the public health, safety and welfare are significantly harmed and are at risk from the negligent use and discharge of firearms.

THEREFORE, based upon the foregoing, the Sandoval County Commission herewith ordains that the negligent use of firearms is prohibited in this area of the County.

1. The negligent use of firearms consists of discharging a firearm or gun within these geographical limits without legal justification; or

2. Carrying or having within one’s reach or immediate grasp, a firearm while under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or other drug; or

3. Endangering the safety of another or his property by handling or using a firearm or other deadly weapon in a negligent manner.

The provisions set forth above shall not be construed to forbid peace officers from carrying, wearing or discharging such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of their duties.

This provision shall not be construed to prohibit target firing on ranges that are permitted by Sandoval County and meet all applicable federal and state requirements. However, the discharge of such firearm must be completely contained within the limits of the firing range.

Nothing herein shall be construed to contradict or abrogate the rights granted to the citizens of New Mexico in Article II, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution nor shall any provision of this Ordinance be construed to abrogate the rights granted by NMSA §77-1-2 that permits the owner of livestock to kill any dog or other predators upon the livestock owner’s property that are attacking their livestock.

Violation of this Ordinance shall be a misdemeanor and may carry a sentence of confinement of less than one (1) year or payment of a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both in the discretion of the judge. However, nothing herein shall be construed to limit the discretion of a peace officer to charge an individual violating this Ordinance with any additional and appropriate charges.

If any section, subsection, sentence, clause, word or phrase is held to be unconstitutional by any court of competent jurisdiction, such section, subsection, sentence, clause, word or phrase shall not invalidate the constitutionality of the remaining portions of this Ordinance.

Because of the grave risk to the public health and safety, this Ordinance is deemed to be an emergency and shall become effective immediately upon its passage by the Board of County Commissioners of Sandoval County, New Mexico

Might as well be making to GRAVITY illegal in areas where physics don't apply.

RogueWarrior

So far I've had a little bit of good news they have printed a correction about open carry in yesterdays paper now all I have to do is wait until we find out how the election goes so I can contact the right people about the rest of the crasp that the commissioner wants to do

aadvark

The Correction was, in my Opinion, an Independent Article which was Authored by a Columnist.
I would like to see a Correction inserted by The Rio Rancho Observer itself.

P.S.: Joe Sparky: Would you explain further the comment, '...[M]aking to GRAVITY Illegal in Areas where Physics [do not] Apply'.

Last edited: