• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western KY

disgruntled41

Hey guys, pretty new around here but have been reading your forums and gathering alot of information from past posts and references you guys have made and figured i'd add my two cents in here. Just came back home for leave to Benton, KY and the surrounding areas (Paducah, Draffenville, Murray, etc) from California which as you all know has some very interesting and not understandable views on law abiding citizens open carrying so i chose to take full advantage and open carry my kimber custom and extra ammo every second i was awake and moving. Visited Paducah mall, all around Murray and benton as well including several restaraunts and retail stores. I'm very happy to say that past a few big eyed children, several older ladies having an apparent extra level of affection for someone armed, and a few cases of mistaken identity for plain clothes law enforcement everything went really well. Had a little bit of a scare in the mall parking lot because a pale, wife beater wearing, "gangster" teenager felt the need to begin throwing m80 firecrackers one row over and gave me a good practice run but i'm glad my reaction time still holds promise for the real thing. Hope this helps all of you running around the area in some way and hope i can come back to visit home again sometime soon. In the mean time enjoy the freedom to open carry there and know that i'm jealous of you every second. Take it easy

DrakeZ07

Hey guys, pretty new around here but have been reading your forums and gathering alot of information from past posts and references you guys have made and figured i'd add my two cents in here. Just came back home for leave to Benton, KY and the surrounding areas (Paducah, Draffenville, Murray, etc) from California which as you all know has some very interesting and not understandable views on law abiding citizens open carrying so i chose to take full advantage and open carry my kimber custom and extra ammo every second i was awake and moving. Visited Paducah mall, all around Murray and benton as well including several restaraunts and retail stores. I'm very happy to say that past a few big eyed children, several older ladies having an apparent extra level of affection for someone armed, and a few cases of mistaken identity for plain clothes law enforcement everything went really well. Had a little bit of a scare in the mall parking lot because a pale, wife beater wearing, "gangster" teenager felt the need to begin throwing m80 firecrackers one row over and gave me a good practice run but i'm glad my reaction time still holds promise for the real thing. Hope this helps all of you running around the area in some way and hope i can come back to visit home again sometime soon. In the mean time enjoy the freedom to open carry there and know that i'm jealous of you every second. Take it easy

Strange, I've yet to see any "gansters" in my neck of the woods... I reckon I'll have to pack extra ammo and mags for my vacation out there. May even OC both my .40SW and my .45Long colt revolver just to be safe and sure... Is 200rnds each of HP and FMJ good or will I need more to make sure I'm safe? D:

CharleyCherokee

Glad to hear you didn't have any troubles. That is the case for the most part, but it seems that the parks in McCracken county are "hot bed" issues for carry. Go figure.

disgruntled41

Strange, I've yet to see any "gansters" in my neck of the woods... I reckon I'll have to pack extra ammo and mags for my vacation out there. May even OC both my .40SW and my .45Long colt revolver just to be safe and sure... Is 200rnds each of HP and FMJ good or will I need more to make sure I'm safe? D:

haha, I think that'll do quite nicely but is not necessary. Keep your head in the game though! He was basically one of those wannabe types so no worries. Plus Paducah is pretty far away in appearances and "culture" from the lake. LBL is a really nice place with beautiful land and alot to do. I lived about 15 mins away from the actual lake from the time i was 16 until i joined. Never had any trouble out that way.

Last edited:

disgruntled41

Glad to hear you didn't have any troubles. That is the case for the most part, but it seems that the parks in McCracken county are "hot bed" issues for carry. Go figure.

I passed through McCracken a few times but i believe i only stopped at a gas station once and had no trouble there. I'll keep that in mind for my next leave block coming up.