• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Awareness Campaign

Sundiver

I'm just spitballing here. It's an idea I've had for awhile and not seen discussed before or maybe I just missed the discussion. Let's face it, I think we all know not all LEO's are bad. Most are just trying to do their job as they understand it and it's a pretty thankless job. That being said, is it possible for us to start some sort of educational program? At least on gun rights? Let some of the more well read and conversant of us go around to the various PD's and hold a class on just what the law is and how it affects both them and us, the legally carrying citizen?

The bulletin that Cincinnati put out informing their officers of what was and was not legal in regards to open carry was a large step for them. Maybe we can bring something like that to Kentucky departments? I know a lot of people will say, "It's not our job to inform cops, they should already be aware!" Well, that my be the case but by and large they are not. If we can be seen as a group as being pro-active in our education program it can't hurt right?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Many cops know the laws regarding gun issues -- they just feel that for their own safety, they want to disarm us.

And those cops who do not know the laws clearly don't want to know or don't care; otherwise they would know.
It takes about 10 minutes to learn the gun laws for a state and locality...plus they have access to free lawyers to speak to as well.

Most cops say that they support the 2nd amendment but they still want to disarm when a contact is made (there are exceptions of course - especially when its one on one -- get three on one and your gun is almost always going to be taken).

You may wish to contact the various academies to effect education...but they will ignore you most likely.

LESGTINCT

Many cops know the laws regarding gun issues -- they just feel that for their own safety, they want to disarm us.

And those cops who do not know the laws clearly don't want to know or don't care; otherwise they would know.
It takes about 10 minutes to learn the gun laws for a state and locality...plus they have access to free lawyers to speak to as well.

Most cops say that they support the 2nd amendment but they still want to disarm when a contact is made (there are exceptions of course - especially when its one on one -- get three on one and your gun is almost always going to be taken).

You may wish to contact the various academies to effect education...but they will ignore you most likely.

I am a LEO and I agree with you. There are some that know, some that don't care and some that know and don't care. However, I believe that if a PD sets forth a policy and training then PO's will be accountable whether they like it or not. The policy and procedures of a PD are the guidelines that every PO has to follow. If they don't a PO can be subject to disciplinary action. I know that it's not the only thing that has to happen but I think it's a start.

Fuller Malarkey

I am a LEO and I agree with you. There are some that know, some that don't care and some that know and don't care. However, I believe that if a PD sets forth a policy and training then PO's will be accountable whether they like it or not. The policy and procedures of a PD are the guidelines that every PO has to follow. If they don't a PO can be subject to disciplinary action. I know that it's not the only thing that has to happen but I think it's a start.

There's even a larger atrocity....the cops that know this takes place and look away. Acknowledging, here, what is obvious is doing nothing other than raising your post count. Take your discoveries to those who violate rights. I'll cheer you on and bring you sammiches. You just name the time and place you are going to take your thin blue line to task. I don't need your empathy or sympathy. I need you to confront your own before one side or the other starts having real casualties.

Fuller Malarkey

LESGTINCT;1819922 SNIP/ [COLOR="#FF0000" said:
I believe that if a PD sets forth a policy and training then PO's will be accountable whether they like it or not. The policy and procedures of a PD are the guidelines that every PO has to follow. If they don't a PO can be subject to disciplinary action. I know that it's not the only thing that has to happen but I think it's a start.[/COLOR]

Nice speech, but your audience can't really act on any of it, can they? Take this to your people. Tell us where you are conducting this re-education short course so we can offer you support and encouragement.

langzaiguy

It would be a legal liability on their part to have people without law degrees/licenses come in to advise them on how to interpret and follow the law.

Sundiver

It would be a legal liability on their part to have people without law degrees/licenses come in to advise them on how to interpret and follow the law.

Fine, then lets find a way to make them educate their PO's on proper procedure. Help me find ways to make something like this work, rather than showing me all the ways it can't be done. Do we need to fight to give the current rulings more teeth? Get some sort of addition saying PO's must have x hours of education on firearm laws. If so, how?

PS: I'd much rather be proactive than reactive. Most of us OC carrying recorders and pamphlets. Hell, I made one of the pamphlets because we feel like, sooner or later we're going to be harassed by LEO's. Simplest solution in my mind is to make sure they're educated to begin with. Sure, some will still cause problems you get Aholes in any group of people including us. The more we educate the fewer there are likely to be, it also gives us a leg up in any confrontation if we /know/ they received X hours of training by law.

Last edited:

LESGTINCT

There's even a larger atrocity....the cops that know this takes place and look away. Acknowledging, here, what is obvious is doing nothing other than raising your post count. Take your discoveries to those who violate rights. I'll cheer you on and bring you sammiches. You just name the time and place you are going to take your thin blue line to task. I don't need your empathy or sympathy. I need you to confront your own before one side or the other starts having real casualties.

Well, you certainly don't make it easy for someone in my position to help someone in your position. I never conveyed empathy or sympathy just a thought so not only don't you need it, you don't have it. I am just one person with very little authority in my large department. You don't know me and don't have any idea what it is to be a LEO, so don't judge me with your offensive post. By the way I have confronted many of my fellow LEO's about this and I don't know what you mean about real casualties. Is that a physical threat? Respect is a two way street and you have shown me none.

LESGTINCT

Nice speech, but your audience can't really act on any of it, can they? Take this to your people. Tell us where you are conducting this re-education short course so we can offer you support and encouragement.

Like I said, your sarcastic remarks like, "Nice speech" does not want to make me change things.

Sundiver

Well, you certainly don't make it easy for someone in my position to help someone in your position. I never conveyed empathy or sympathy just a thought so not only don't you need it, you don't have it. I am just one person with very little authority in my large department. You don't know me and don't have any idea what it is to be a LEO, so don't judge me with your offensive post. By the way I have confronted many of my fellow LEO's about this and I don't know what you mean about real casualties. Is that a physical threat? Respect is a two way street and you have shown me none.

Well, Sir. You're more than welcome in this thread at least. I worked for one of the top five major metropolitan police departments for a decade. Most of my family and extended family are LEO's. Yes, at least one of them is a real power tripping ahole. The others are all decent people trying to do a job. Would they see someone walking down the street with a pistol strapped on as a liability? Most likely. Again, I think education is the key. Showing them not only is it legal but we as a group tend to be level headed, observant and not vigilantes.

LESGTINCT

Well, Sir. You're more than welcome in this thread at least. I worked for one of the top five major metropolitan police departments for a decade. Most of my family and extended family are LEO's. Yes, at least one of them is a real power tripping ahole. The others are all decent people trying to do a job. Would they see someone walking down the street with a pistol strapped on as a liability? Most likely. Again, I think education is the key. Showing them not only is it legal but we as a group tend to be level headed, observant and not vigilantes.

Thank you. I thought I was trying to help but all I got was a verbal beating and I agree with them!

Fuller Malarkey

No physical threat, an acknowledgement of a reality. When a large group of armed, aggressive and unaccountable people engage in separating a select few armed individuals from the security of witnesses with what appears to be no other intent than to force them into submission.....there could be problems. I can't afford to be anything other than realistic about that.

LESGTINCT

No physical threat, an acknowledgement of a reality. When a large group of armed, aggressive and unaccountable people engage in separating a select few armed individuals from the security of witnesses with what appears to be no other intent than to force them into submission.....there could be problems. I can't afford to be anything other than realistic about that.[/QUO

What kind of problems? Hmmm, you are being very vague. Is it on purpose? I think so and it is obvious what you are trying to say. I would be sure of yourself before making such a statements based on "what appears to be".

DrakeZ07

Why is an outsider threatening a cop in our forum? Why is an admitted cop baiting and luring people within our forum? And where is the more outspoken Kentuckians to show these numbskulls how we handle things?

LESGTINCT: So you're a LEO, who cares? Doesn't automatically give you the right to flame, and lure people into bashing you, then whining and crying when someone urinates in your face. Sit down, relax, and take a new approach. Cop or not, you're no different than anyone else and will be treated the same.

Fuller: If you cannot be nice and learn when someone is baiting you to attack them, then you don't need to be online. period. Take a chill pill, sit back, and keep a cool head. You're just as guilty as the Cop. Consider him a borderline Anti, and a possible troll, don't give him a reason to spread hate for our community. Just the same, don't spread hatred in our sub-forum, keep it in your own or the social lounge trollfest.

Sundiver; I like you're Idea, if we can get ahold of KC3, maybe we can have a state-wide donation drive to help pay for them to educate cops? Gutshot would be a great keystone to start with on that with KC3.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Why is an admitted cop baiting and luring people within our forum?...
I must have missed that post...? What in the world are you referring to?

...if we can get ahold of KC3, maybe we can have a state-wide donation drive to help pay for them to educate cops? Gutshot would be a great keystone to start with on that with KC3.
Good luck with that. I've offered to help with various KY OC initiatives with KC3 involvement/approval/blessing and they went nowhere.

My offer still stands.

neuroblades

Please overlook the jack-hole's that spout off without thinking about what they're saying. The vast majority of law abiding citizen's and LE get along just fine, granted there are the times when things go worng and issues arise.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Please overlook the jack-hole's that spout off without thinking about what they're saying. The vast majority of law abiding citizen's and LE get along just fine, granted there are the times when things go worng and issues arise.
And the jack-holes that spout off when they DO think about what they're saying.

LESGTINCT, don't run off because you don't uniformly find love and kisses here, but understand that at least some people here have come by their feelings because of experience.

Then again, there are others who simply salivate when a bell rings.

Last edited:

self preservation

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but I'm still trying to find what the LEO said that got this uproar going. Maybe some one can point out what he said that got some on here upset. The way I read it he agreed with us on these issues.

Some have made the comment to him that he should fix the "bad LEO's" but wouldn't that be like him saying that we need to fix the "bad citizens"?:confused:

LESGTINCT

Why is an outsider threatening a cop in our forum? Why is an admitted cop baiting and luring people within our forum? And where is the more outspoken Kentuckians to show these numbskulls how we handle things?

LESGTINCT: So you're a LEO, who cares? Doesn't automatically give you the right to flame, and lure people into bashing you, then whining and crying when someone urinates in your face. Sit down, relax, and take a new approach. Cop or not, you're no different than anyone else and will be treated the same.

Fuller: If you cannot be nice and learn when someone is baiting you to attack them, then you don't need to be online. period. Take a chill pill, sit back, and keep a cool head. You're just as guilty as the Cop. Consider him a borderline Anti, and a possible troll, don't give him a reason to spread hate for our community. Just the same, don't spread hatred in our sub-forum, keep it in your own or the social lounge trollfest.

Sundiver; I like you're Idea, if we can get ahold of KC3, maybe we can have a state-wide donation drive to help pay for them to educate cops? Gutshot would be a great keystone to start with on that with KC3.

I had NO intent to lure ANYONE! I am genuinely trying to help. Again, you judge me. I am not whining or crying about anything. I was however attacked for nothing as you are doing.