• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU students for conceal carry Meet up - Legends Brewery meet up 11/20/12

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
VCU students for conceal carry on campus is having a meet up on 11/20 at Legend's Brewery. Good opportunity for us to branch out, unfortunately I have to work and cannot make it. Show up if you can and help educate/acclimate these new folks into the activist community.

Where: Legends Brewery 321 West 7th Street, Richmond, VA 23224
http://www.legendbrewing.com/
When: November 20, at 7:00 pm

This is a brewery that has a restaurant. As far as I know open-carry is uncharted territory there. Part of their invitation is to share a beer (if you want). I would naturally assume the individuals that will be enjoying beer will not be carrying.

https://www.facebook.com/events/302198979895786/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCU students for conceal carry on campus is having a meet up on 11/20 at Legend's Brewery. Good opportunity for us to branch out, unfortunately I have to work and cannot make it. Show up if you can and help educate/acclimate these new folks into the activist community.

Where: Legends Brewery 321 West 7th Street, Richmond, VA 23224
http://www.legendbrewing.com/
When: November 20, at 7:00 pm

This is a brewery that has a restaurant. As far as I know open-carry is uncharted territory there. Part of their invitation is to share a beer (if you want). I would naturally assume the individuals that will be enjoying beer will not be carrying.

https://www.facebook.com/events/302198979895786/

From a public relations stand point, they could have picked a better location IMHO.

While enjoying an adult beverage is not illegal when OCing, it does portray a negative image. It is a violation to CC and indulge.

Will check my calendar - yep, I'm free will try to be there.

sidestreet

I don't know what it's like now...,

but some years back when we were fighting mightily to get CC in restaurants (before this last big push), I seem to remember an owner or manager (maybe both) speaking his piece about how he found a "9mm revolver with a 22 clip" in the men's restroom there at Legends one night and turned it into the Richmond Police Department, and he never heard anything else back on it. I know, I know, he really didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about, and he as much as admitted that, but he definitely knew he didn't want any guns in his establishment. I had been to Legends once before, but after that little nugget of his, never again.

There was a little snickering when he said it, and I figured the most probable reason the cops never got back to him on it was because it was probably a cop that left it in there. Maybe some of you guys remember that little anti speech he made. I feel sure that Skidmark, Grapeshot, Peter Nap and some others were there, I know Philip was there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Whether they picked the ideal spot or not it's their pick. They're them and we're us.

We need to be inclusive. Take the opportunity to inform and educate a new group of activists and help acclimate them to 2nd Amendment activism. There are a lot of nuances about carrying that we understand perfectly whereas others may not; like who the antis are.

I would like to see them be a success. I hope to see them stand with us on Lobby Day with "VCU Students for Conceal Carry" stickers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whether they picked the ideal spot or not it's their pick. They're them and we're us.

We need to be inclusive. Take the opportunity to inform and educate a new group of activists and help acclimate them to 2nd Amendment activism. There are a lot of nuances about carrying that we understand perfectly whereas others may not; like who the antis are.

I would like to see them be a success. I hope to see them stand with us on Lobby Day with "VCU Students for Conceal Carry" stickers.

I agree 100%

Attended a meet up with a young lady involved with this movement from VCU - very articulate and knowledgeable.
Also sat in on an interview of Skidmark by another student from VCU doing a paper on pro gun, self-defense vs anti gun.
This is a very hot item right now, much discussed on campus.

My concern with the location may be unwarranted. Just don't want them to be asked to leave on their first public meeting. If I can attend and that happens, I'll redirect them then to a location known to be friendly.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I agree 100%

Attended a meet up with a young lady involved with this movement from VCU - very articulate and knowledgeable.
Also sat in on an interview of Skidmark by another student from VCU doing a paper on pro gun, self-defense vs anti gun.
This is a very hot item right now, much discussed on campus.

My concern with the location may be unwarranted. Just don't want them to be asked to leave on their first public meeting. If I can attend and that happens, I'll redirect them then to a location known to be friendly.

Great!

Grape, I would like to run an idea through you up the chain to the VCDL EM"s and to VCU students for concealed carry. I would like to see black & gold stickers for Lobby Day that shows some kind of support for VCU Students for conceal carry. Think about it. VCU is right up the street from the capitol. We have a better chance of getting many of them to show up then say JMU or GMU students; and there is no doubt in my mind that a Black & Gold sticker that has VCU students for conceal carry would get media attention. We cannot let this epidemic of VCU students being constantly preyed upon go away.

67GT390FB

but some years back when we were fighting mightily to get CC in restaurants (before this last big push), I seem to remember an owner or manager (maybe both) speaking his piece about how he found a "9mm revolver with a 22 clip" in the men's restroom there at Legends one night and turned it into the Richmond Police Department, and he never heard anything else back on it. I know, I know, he really didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about, and he as much as admitted that, but he definitely knew he didn't want any guns in his establishment. I had been to Legends once before, but after that little nugget of his, never again.

There was a little snickering when he said it, and I figured the most probable reason the cops never got back to him on it was because it was probably a cop that left it in there. Maybe some of you guys remember that little anti speech he made. I feel sure that Skidmark, Grapeshot, Peter Nap and some others were there, I know Philip was there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

i don;t know about legends but richbrau brewing company is definitely anti gun could that be who you are thinking about?

edit found the thread JC we are both right. this thread mentions the closed richbrau and the pro self defense but not in my establishment stance of legends

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69427-Richbrau-Brewing-closes

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think they are anti but as TD said, it is their pick and this a chance to introduce them to activism.
I'll be there.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Great!

Grape, I would like to run an idea through you up the chain to the VCDL EM"s and to VCU students for concealed carry. I would like to see black & gold stickers for Lobby Day that shows some kind of support for VCU Students for conceal carry. Think about it. VCU is right up the street from the capitol. We have a better chance of getting many of them to show up then say JMU or GMU students; and there is no doubt in my mind that a Black & Gold sticker that has VCU students for conceal carry would get media attention. We cannot let this epidemic of VCU students being constantly preyed upon go away.

Very interesting idea - I will definite pass that along. Very interesting idea indeed.

i don;t know about legends but richbrau brewing company is definitely anti gun could that be who you are thinking about?

edit found the thread JC we are both right. this thread mentions the closed richbrau and the pro self defense but not in my establishment stance of legends

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69427-Richbrau-Brewing-closes

That stance was described by a user/poster who knows the owner of Legends personally:

"The owner, Tom Martin, believes in the right to self -defense, but not in his place. He does not allow OC. He has offered to keep your firearm in his safe behind the bar while one eats. That becomes another set of issues. I have been target shooting with Tom; he just says guns and alcohol do not mix."

I don't like being locked up, neither does my gun. :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to keep the Students for Concealed Carry on an open carry note so Ed doesn't move it, does anyone know if the place is posted?

That will make a difference as to me leaving it in the car or not.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just to keep the Students for Concealed Carry on an open carry note so Ed doesn't move it, does anyone know if the place is posted?

That will make a difference as to me leaving it in the car or not.

SCCC has prior approval to be here and has the support of both the forum and VCDL. OC is not required, nor is CC. Even an empty holster holster makes a statement. Adjust tactics for the terrain.