• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sierra Vista Mall - No Weapons Allowed or No OC

.45acp

imported post

"Excuse me sir"

I turnedto findtwo Sierra Vista mall security and male and female, "Yes, what I can do for you".

"Are you law enforcement?"

“No" I responded

"Weapons are not allowed in the mall" I asked if they where aware that AZ law allows for OC. "Yes, but this is private property and the management does not allow weapons in the mall”. Since I was at the checkout of Boot Barn I asked if would be ok to finish paying and I would leave the mall.

"That fine" she responded. I will add that both of the security people were very polite and professional at all times.

I mentioned to the woman running the checkout at Boot Barn that I have carried in the mall a number of times; her reply was that the mall was “Cracking down” on OC.

So I finished paying and left the mall without further incident.

Add one more to the list of businesses that I’ll not patronize, nor will my wife, and they’ll miss her money a lot more than mine.

I’ll be drafting a letter to the mall management at the local office;

The Mall at Sierra Vista 2200 El Mercado Loop Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635 ph. 520.452.0011 and the national office of General Growth Properties.

The property was not posted, but since I was asked to leave that is a moot point.

Steve

GWbiker

imported post

General Growth Properties is headquartered in Schit-cagg-oo and owns/operates several major Malls in Arizona. All are posted "No Weapons" in the Code Of Conduct sigs at main entrances.

All use unarmed Mall Ninjas for security.

I know many people who CC (Illegally) in the Mall.:uhoh:

GWbiker

imported post

.45acp wrote:
The mall is not posted NO WEAPONS.

I have carried in there a number of times...oh well.

Steve

Look for the Code of Conduct sign at Mall entrance. Probably on the business marque, or on a portable stand up sign.

Believe me -- PPG is anti-gun.

mFonz77

imported post

The verbiage is there.

A friend of mine who OC's by necessity (he's out of state and has not gotten a CCW yet) got hustled out of the mall by security, so the next time I went (concealed) I checked.

The exterior entrances are NOT posted in any way. However, there is a tiny, tiny sign (maybe 12x8" in total) inside the doors that have one little bullet point in 12pt text that says "No weapons ... ... " verbiage. Technically the sign is not "legal" so I have no problem carrying concealed there.

NOTE TO OCers: DON'T tell the idiots at the mall their sign is not legal or they will change it.

rscottie

imported post

I have been thinking about the almost universal weapons bans at malls across America.

Bear with me here.

If you or I rent an apartment and do not sign away our rights in the lease agreement, then we retain the right to Keep and Bear Arms in our apartment.

Ok, so the stores in these malls rent or lease their space.

What I'm getting at is this, in addition to putting pressure on the Mall owners to respect our rights, how effective would it be to write the tenants and see if they can put pressure on their landlord? Perhaps if they can convince the Mall owners that they are losing money due to Mall Policy running off customers, then the Mall itself may change the policy.

It is worth a shot, no pun intended!

*1911_man*

imported post

Same exact thing happened to me awhile back, they asked me to leave, or leave the gun in the car, so naturally i never went back.

Whats the point of that anyway? And whats the point of unarmed guards?
they dont even have mace or anything, and i'll bet i can out run all of them.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Unarmed security... in an armed to the teeth state... in a close to theborder town. I see some disconnect and disparity here... :banghead:

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IANAL, but from what I understand, sign or not, it's not illegal to carry on private property where it's posted, except for the properly postedrestaurants that serve alcohol. It is however, illegal to not leave private propertyif you are asked to.

.45acp

imported post

Notso wrote:
IANAL, but from what I understand, sign or not, it's not illegal to carry on private property where it's posted, except for the properly postedrestaurants that serve alcohol. It is however, illegal to not leave private propertyif you are asked to.

IANAL myself, but I believe you are correct...besides, it does no good to argue with security once you are asked to leave,citingprivate property and managment policy. They probably expect a confrontation and rude words....being politeand understanding that theyare doing the job as mandated my mall management goes a long way. The last thing we as a group want is for security and people of the public in general to feel (I hate thet word "feel" how do you "feel" about this? makes me want to throw up) intimidated approaching us. If that is the case, the LEO's will be called out of hand.
The last thing the OC group needs is a reputation for loud bad mouthing during one of these encounters.

One other thought; Gecko45 could be working the SV mall....then you'd be in trouble.:what:

Steve

jeremy05

imported post

I OC at that mall. They did the same thing with me and asked if I was LEO. I told them yes, and they asked that I displayed my badge while Open carrying and I told them no, that would make me a target, then got on with my shopping. I let them know that many of my fellow LEOs do the same so dont hassle them as well.

Gary599

imported post

It's so stupid, I just got my ccw, and just picked up my Sig 229 40.cal, I go to the mall all the time, and if I can get away with it cc. They want to stop us, but how are they going to stop a BG when he walks in shooting up the place.

I was pro gun in general, but now that I can oc or cc I really hate that gun laws only effect GOOD PEOPLE, people like use who don't break the laws.

.45acp

imported post

Gary599 wrote:
I was pro gun in general, but now that I can oc or cc I really hate that gun laws only effect GOOD PEOPLE, people like use who don't break the laws.

That is really the crux of the entire gun law debate....Laws only effect the law abding citizen.....the banditios don't care.

Steve

1FASTC4

imported post

.45acp wrote:
"
So I finished paying and left the mall without further incident.

Steve

You are much more tolerant than me. I would have dropped my stuff on the spot and walked out.(note, this is NOT a flame)

*1911_man*

imported post

I hate going into malls anyway, especially ones that are not self defense friendly

Thoreau

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
The verbiage is there.

A friend of mine who OC's by necessity (he's out of state and has not gotten a CCW yet) got hustled out of the mall by security, so the next time I went (concealed) I checked.

The exterior entrances are NOT posted in any way. However, there is a tiny, tiny sign (maybe 12x8" in total) inside the doors that have one little bullet point in 12pt text that says "No weapons ... ... " verbiage. Technically the sign is not "legal" so I have no problem carrying concealed there.

NOTE TO OCers: DON'T tell the idiots at the mall their sign is not legal or they will change it.

Not to single you out, but in the interest of accurate information being seen, can you show what statute makes the sign 'not legal'?

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/01502.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

"13-1502. Criminal trespass in the third degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the third degree by:

1. Knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully on any real property after a reasonable request to leave by the owner or any other person having lawful control over such property, or reasonable notice prohibiting entry."

Unfortunately, I see no defition in that section for 'reasonable notice', and can't say I'd want to test those waters myself.

Thoreau

imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
Same exact thing happened to me awhile back, they asked me to leave, or leave the gun in the car, so naturally i never went back.

Whats the point of that anyway? And whats the point of unarmed guards?
they dont even have mace or anything, and i'll bet i can out run all of them.
They're much like airport security. They give the ILLUSION of safety and security. No more, no less. It makes the sheeple (and lawyers) all warm and fuzzy, hehe.

Thoreau

imported post

rscottie wrote:
I have been thinking about the almost universal weapons bans at malls across America.

Bear with me here.

If you or I rent an apartment and do not sign away our rights in the lease agreement, then we retain the right to Keep and Bear Arms in our apartment.

Ok, so the stores in these malls rent or lease their space.

What I'm getting at is this, in addition to putting pressure on the Mall owners to respect our rights, how effective would it be to write the tenants and see if they can put pressure on their landlord? Perhaps if they can convince the Mall owners that they are losing money due to Mall Policy running off customers, then the Mall itself may change the policy.

It is worth a shot, no pun intended!
I love that thought process, but I'd bet large sums of money that the tenants in this case do indeed sign away their ability to allow firearms. It could be something specific in their lease terms, or something as simple as a 'we agree to abide by general mall policy' type wording. If not, however, trying to get the businesses involved certainly can't make the prohibition more prohibit-ish than it already is =)