• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applebee's Pasco, WA

WSUCougarAlum

I was OC my daily, FN Five-Seven, and went into meet a friend at the Applebee's here in Pasco, WA on Rd. 68. There was a wait so we decided to sit inside the bar area. I knew I couldn't have my sidearm on me so I walked back to my car and locked it in my Glove Box.

I still had my empty holster on my hip and either a server, or manager, came over and harassed me for 6 minutes as to whether I had a "gun in my pocket." I replied no several times, but she kept asking. The conversation escalated from there; she would not let up. I explained to her that I am following the law by not having a weapon while seated in a bar area, but had I been in regular seating it would be my legal right to have a firearm. Long story short, she claimed the restaurant was a lounge and guns were prohibited. I filed a formal complain with corporate and am waiting to hear back.

In the mean time, I think we should have a get together and have a meet up there.

amlevin

Sounds like you were engaged in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Should have told this person after only one minute of this BS to either leave you alone or call the cops. Let them explain to the idiot that a holster is not a firearm.

Frankly, after eating in Applebee's across the country for years I've decided that there are friendlier places with better food and even at lower prices. They're usually not "chain restaurants" either.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
perhaps it's just my local applebees, but I feel that the quality of their food has jumped off a cliff. Dinner for two with an appetizer there runs me damn near 40 dollars. I can eat at Olive Garden for that price and actually get decent food.

WSUCougarAlum

Sounds like you were engaged in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Should have told this person after only one minute of this BS to either leave you alone or call the cops. Let them explain to the idiot that a holster is not a firearm.

Frankly, after eating in Applebee's across the country for years I've decided that there are friendlier places with better food and even at lower prices. They're usually not "chain restaurants" either.

I was trying to keep my description brief, but yes, I told her within a minute that "she is harassing me and ruining my meal; I do not have a weapon. I know the law!"

fhsantos

I'm sure somebody from the top will be speaking to her, harassing customers is not something any company now a days tolerates. Even when I was bouncing, it was ask once & leave it be. Unless I ran a metal detector over it & you lied to me, then well:banghead:

FMCDH

The entire restaurant is a lounge??? :lol:

Were there any kids in the restaurant at the time?

Simple, point to the "under 21 restricted" sign at the bar area entrance and then to the kids, then say your calling the police on her for allowing minors on the premises.

I figure she will get the point right quick.

I had a similar situation happen to me about 10 years ago in a Chinese restaurant in Spokane. If I remember correctly, my entire response to the manager was "No guns, then no kids, that's the law, you want to explain to me what they are doing in here?". With a confused look on her face, she went to "look something up" and never returned.

Thankfully, I had already received my food by the time she came over and started freaking out at me.

I think in your case, as in mine, it was more hoplophobia that prompted the managers reaction then worry you were breaking the law.

amzbrady

We havent had dinner yet. Wanna meet at 6 pm for dinner? My wife and 10 year old daughter would like to have dinner in their resturaunt/lounge.

Wife says tomorrow or Tue would be better. Doesnt Applebees have something for the kids on tuesdays? 99 cent meal or something? Let me know. Maybe we can get a group of us together. Anyone else game? Freedom, Cpeck, AlexMayhem? Open carry meet and greet and coffee.

Last edited:

WSUCougarAlum

The entire restaurant is a lounge??? :lol:

Were there any kids in the restaurant at the time?

Simple, point to the "under 21 restricted" sign at the bar area entrance and then to the kids, then say your calling the police on her for allowing minors on the premises.

I figure she will get the point right quick.

I had a similar situation happen to me about 10 years ago in a Chinese restaurant in Spokane. If I remember correctly, my entire response to the manager was "No guns, then no kids, that's the law, you want to explain to me what they are doing in here?". With a confused look on her face, she went to "look something up" and never returned.

Thankfully, I had already received my food by the time she came over and started freaking out at me.

I think in your case, as in mine, it was more hoplophobia that prompted the managers reaction then worry you were breaking the law.

There were no kids in the bar area (21 and older), but there were kids in the regular part of the restaurant. If I chose to sit in the regular part of the restaurant I would have been OC though.

WSUCougarAlum

We havent had dinner yet. Wanna meet at 6 pm for dinner? My wife and 10 year old daughter would like to have dinner in their resturaunt/lounge.

Wife says tomorrow or Tue would be better. Doesnt Applebees have something for the kids on tuesdays? 99 cent meal or something? Let me know. Maybe we can get a group of us together. Anyone else game? Freedom, Cpeck, AlexMayhem? Open carry meet and greet and coffee.

That's sounds awesome; I would love to have dinner with y'all. A quick search tells me kids eat free on Monday nights; hopefully this location participates in that. It would be great to get a group together and meet some fellow OC members.

Freedom First

With my four kids we'd make them regret their kids eat free thing... Unfortunately, we're busy tomorrow.

Nice to have another OCer here in the lovely Tri-Cities. We'll meet up eventually. Welcome!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
FYI - AppleBees Corporate allows lawful carry

FYI - IN Washington, Idaho & Oregon AppleBees are owned by a Franchise called Apple America who gets to set their own rules. Those rules are NO CARRY unless you are LEO. I have already fought this fight in Tacoma & Bonney Lake.

Do some searching on the forum and you will find the threads with the email info.

You can drink a beer in the restaurant area but can't order a sandwich in the bar area.....

Last edited:

amzbrady

We have been to the Applebee's on Columbia center blvd several time's, I have not ever had a problem open carry there. I will be willing to try Rd 68 Applebees. Mon is good, Say 5:30 PM. If that doesnt fly and we get booted, we can try somewhere else. I have open carried at Eatsa Pizza, Panda Express, IHOP, Mcdonalds, and parked in my car at Sonics. If I get there before you, I'll be the other guy with a gun.

WSUCougarAlum

We have been to the Applebee's on Columbia center blvd several time's, I have not ever had a problem open carry there. I will be willing to try Rd 68 Applebees. Mon is good, Say 5:30 PM. If that doesnt fly and we get booted, we can try somewhere else. I have open carried at Eatsa Pizza, Panda Express, IHOP, Mcdonalds, and parked in my car at Sonics. If I get there before you, I'll be the other guy with a gun.

Sounds good; I will see you there. I sent you a PM with my cell. He is right, they are franchised owned so they do dance to their own fiddle. I am interested to see what the follow up is on my complaint. We can always hit up another place if it doesn't work out.

WSUCougarAlum

UPDATE:

I was contacted today by Brandon Palmer. He is the Regional Manager of Applebee's here in Central Washington. I told him my story and he was VERY apologetic to hear about my negative experience I had at their Pasco Applebee's location. He was also VERY familiar with the RCW 9.41.300 (1d). He agreed that I was following the law and that I should not have been approached the way I had. I asked him if Applebee's complies with the laws of OC and CC. Brandon said that they do. To further clarify, I asked if you can OC/CC in the restaurant portion and he clarified yes (in so many words). Brandon knew exactly what RCW I was referencing and what some employees there were mis-referencing. He said that he would be having a follow up meeting with that locations employees to clarify the law for them. He even offered to send me some gift cards, which I did not request. I was very happy was his follow up and customer service.

MEET UP with AMZBrady:

I met up with AMZBrady's and his Family tonight (less than 20 minutes ago). Naturally, He and I were both OC. I arrived first and I could tell that "something was up." I got a table for four and AMZBrady's bunch showed up not two minutes later. I greeted them outside, but noticed a growing side conversation of Hostess's, Servers, and their manager at the front (they were talking about me not being able to have a gun). AMZBrady came in and we sat down; both of us with our strong side facing out. The server joked that someone came into the bar yesterday with a gun and that had been the talk since then (not recognizing that I was that person, or that I had my sidearm now). I introduced myself and we laughed. No sooner did the manager, Ron Larpon, come over to our table and asked us if we were LEO. We replied no and he pointed to the RCW listed on the wall and said we were not allowed to guns. He asked us to put them in our cars, but AMZBrady said they were apart of us; they don't leave them. This whole exchange was happening fast and I kept telling him that I spoke to your regional today and he said it was okay to OC legally and that he should have had a meeting with you all today on it to educate you on their policy (to follow state law). Ron recognized that he had a meeting today and that he would call him (I don't think he believed me). He circled back and said that he got off the phone with the Pasco Police Department and said "it is illegal to have a gun since we sell liquor." AMZBrady referenced his daughter's age (she wasn't 21). I offered to call the Regional Manager on his cell phone for him (that's when Ron's tune changed). He came back to the table and said we were right and said they were going to get a sign that was more clear for their employees. He also said he would reeducate his employees on the policy and recognized our right to carry. Possibly by chance, but he was at our 2 - 5 o'clock for 90% of our meal (he spent an hour a our 3 o'clock talking with another table inside the bar, but looking our way often). And lastly, a couple sitting at our 5 o'clock inquired about AMZBrady's pistol. Their server, the same as ours, said "They both have guns actually, it's all good lol."

amzbrady

UPDATE:

I was contacted today by Brandon Palmer. He is the Regional Manager of Applebee's here in Central Washington. I told him my story and he was VERY apologetic to hear about my negative experience I had at their Pasco Applebee's location. He was also VERY familiar with the RCW 9.41.300 (1d). He agreed that I was following the law and that I should not have been approached the way I had. I asked him if Applebee's complies with the laws of OC and CC. Brandon said that they do. To further clarify, I asked if you can OC/CC in the restaurant portion and he clarified yes (in so many words). Brandon knew exactly what RCW I was referencing and what some employees there were mis-referencing. He said that he would be having a follow up meeting with that locations employees to clarify the law for them. He even offered to send me some gift cards, which I did not request. I was very happy was his follow up and customer service.

MEET UP with AMZBrady:

I met up with AMZBrady's and his Family tonight (less than 20 minutes ago). Naturally, He and I were both OC. I arrived first and I could tell that "something was up." I got a table for four and AMZBrady's bunch showed up not two minutes later. I greeted them outside, but noticed a growing side conversation of Hostess's, Servers, and their manager at the front (they were talking about me not being able to have a gun). AMZBrady came in and we sat down; both of us with our strong side facing out. The server joked that someone came into the bar yesterday with a gun and that had been the talk since then (not recognizing that I was that person, or that I had my sidearm now). I introduced myself and we laughed. No sooner did the manager, Ron Larpon, come over to our table and asked us if we were LEO. We replied no and he pointed to the RCW listed on the wall and said we were not allowed to guns. He asked us to put them in our cars, but AMZBrady said they were apart of us; they don't leave them. This whole exchange was happening fast and I kept telling him that I spoke to your regional today and he said it was okay to OC legally and that he should have had a meeting with you all today on it to educate you on their policy (to follow state law). Ron recognized that he had a meeting today and that he would call him (I don't think he believed me). He circled back and said that he got off the phone with the Pasco Police Department and said "it is illegal to have a gun since we sell liquor." AMZBrady referenced his daughter's age (she wasn't 21). I offered to call the Regional Manager on his cell phone for him (that's when Ron's tune changed). He came back to the table and said we were right and said they were going to get a sign that was more clear for their employees. He also said he would reeducate his employees on the policy and recognized our right to carry. Possibly by chance, but he was at our 2 - 5 o'clock for 90% of our meal (he spent an hour a our 3 o'clock talking with another table inside the bar, but looking our way often). And lastly, a couple sitting at our 5 o'clock inquired about AMZBrady's pistol. Their server, the same as ours, said "They both have guns actually, it's all good lol."

It was good meeting "the Coug"... It is nice to sit down with a fellow carrier. I was very impressed with the fact you did your homework, made the calls, got things handled and kept a level head throughout the whole conversation you had with Ron. That is how ambassadors of open carry handle things. I left a pamphlet for Ron so hopefully he studies up a bit.

Freedom when you read this, if you want, lets get a different thread going on a time we can meet up and do some target practice out at Owens again. It sounds like WSU would like to come out to. I have Tuesday off and wouldnt mind spending an hour spending ammo. My wife and daughter would like to shoot the 22 again, so they are up for it.

WSUCougarAlum

It was nice meeting you too. I suspect that it is going to take a few more visits (and not just from us) to have that Pasco Applebee's think nothing of it. There are multiple levels of management that share roles, tasks, and responsibilities at all of the locations here in the Tri-Cities. I really appreciate your help... that was an awesome outcome.

Freedom First

Freedom when you read this, if you want, lets get a different thread going on a time we can meet up and do some target practice out at Owens again. It sounds like WSU would like to come out to. I have Tuesday off and wouldnt mind spending an hour spending ammo. My wife and daughter would like to shoot the 22 again, so they are up for it.

Sounds good. Glad you guys made it out there and did the Rights stuff. Hope you had a good meal.

amzbrady

Sounds good. Glad you guys made it out there and did the Rights stuff. Hope you had a good meal.

My whole Fam Damily enjoyed the meal. View attachment 7102

If it is not raining, we are thinking of going to owens road around 3:30, 4 - 5 somewhere in there. If anyone is interested, give me a call, you have my number. Maybe sometime if Jayd ever shows back up on here we can get him to open up the TCSA, Anyway the would be cool to have some different ideas for targets. I have my .22 gongs. My daughter loved shooting Freedoms water balloons.