• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glock 18

righttobarearms

so, me and my brother were talking about guns and got on the topic of the automatic glock 18, he wants to buy one and use it for a OCing but neither of us knew if would be legal to carry it, being an automatic thought it might be illegal and i said ill look into it.

so, is it legal to own a glock 18 and to carry it? cc and/or oc?

JD

As a "civilian" you can not purchase an auto that was made after 1986. Even if you could, FA guns run well above $5K.

I'm pretty sure the G18 did not make the cut as far as dates of manufacture.

Last edited:

09jisaac

As a "civilian" you can not purchase an auto that was made after 1986. Even if you could, FA guns run well above $5K.

Exactly.

And another thing. I read a story of a guy who worked for HK that legally owned a ruger mini full auto. He and his wife were out when another truck tried to get them to pull over. There was a chase and shots were fired from the other vehicle. He managed to get into the HK lot, hoping to lose them behind the security gate but they managed to get it. All this time he was readying his weapons (he had like 3 pistols and 2 rifles). He got out, ruger mini ready. He gave the perp a few warning shots. The perp raised his weapon and said something to the point of "eff your full auto" before he was mowed down.

Long story short, the DA was called and said that because he used a full auto weapon the DA couldn't just let that be so the HK employee was arrested and tried for murder. It took him years (I think) to beat the rap, in which time he lost his job at HK, lost most of his friends and maybe even his house. Finally he was cleared of all charges (you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.)

The perp had a revolver in his hand and drugs/alcohol in his system. In his truck his two accomplices were arrested and cops found shell casings and, if I recall correctly opened bottles of alcohol.

If he would have used any other weapon that he had he probably wouldn't have even been questioned, It was a clear case of self defense. He was just using the weapon that he deemed most suited to the situation, but the DA thought he had to do something.

(I read this a while back, some of the details might be a bit fuzzy.... But the point is right)

Tmhrr

I tried to google this once and remember an article that stated only a few g18 were made prior to 1986 and IF you could find one for sell you were probally looking at somewhere between $80-$100K

The G18 has been featured in several movies (John Travolta used one in Broken Arrow ) and there are several youtube videos showing them in action.

here is one of them

[video=youtube;b1RvTJBdRuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RvTJBdRuA&feature=related[/video]

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You will never find a pre-86 for sale, but if you did, and had tens of thousands to spend, it would be legal to carry in Ky. Although it wouldn't be wise, spraying bullets at 1200rpm is a good way to be in a lawsuit. Semi-auto's are what to carry to use on the defensive, which is what us folks who carry guns for self defense are. The only time you need auto's is when your going on the offense and defense, like in a war-zone!

carry for myself

in my opinion the 18 is a great gun for a collector. but useless otherwise. ill state my reasons.

it has a 33rnd 9mm mag. and it will empty it in usually 2-3 seconds. i have fired one of these. and the accuracy.....well it sucks lol single fire mode. its great....but when the two dots are involved...........nope.

any SD scenario you have that you put 33 rounds into someone....your GOING to have problems with the DA and it will no doubt be a case of excessive force.

the 33rnd mag looks utterly stupid when carried. and is impossible to conceal. so you would have to OC a 10 inch stick hanging out of your holster.

it is expensive as heck to pull the trigger once with SD ammo. think roughly $20 a box........so a box and a half to squeeze the trigger and hold it for 3 seconds......

i would love to own one......play with on the raNge.........have a a showpiece, conversation piece or just look at. but would i carry one? probably only if it had a 3 round burst capability and the cyclic rate was dropped about 100RPM :p

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
.....snip............play with on the rage.........
but would i carry one? probably only if it had a 3 round burst capability and the cyclic rate was dropped about 100RPM :p

Play with on the rage? :eek:
Freudian slip if there ever was one, perhaps.

How would a 3 round burst (still class III) and an unreasonable cyclic rate change anything? It is still an unreasonable, impractical and probably illegal carry gun and as such does not meet the definition of normal everyday carry as described in the rules.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

How would a 3 round burst (still class III) and an unreasonable cyclic rate change anything? It is still an unreasonable, impractical and probably illegal carry gun and as such does not meet the definition of normal everyday carry as described in the rules.

I agree with the above 100%, however in Ky it would be legal to opencarry. Some would ask for me to cite the statute that says so, however, there are no statutes on openly carried firearms in our state.

carry for myself

range lol typo haha. and a 3 round burst would make it more controllable , so would a lower cyclic rate. if you've ever fired one its about 8x faster than a class III AK-47. which makes it useless. i would never carry one. own one for fun......yes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
range lol typo haha. and a 3 round burst would make it more controllable , so would a lower cyclic rate. if you've ever fired one its about 8x faster than a class III AK-47. which makes it useless. i would never carry one. own one for fun......yes.

Where do you get such absolute BS? You're saying that a Glock 18 will fire 4,800+ rpm or 80+ rds/sec?

AK-47 - 600 to 640 rpm
Glock 18 1200 to 1300 rpm

That's about twice as fast - you look it up and cite the correct information, sir.

09jisaac

in my opinion the 18 is a great gun for a collector. but useless otherwise. ill state my reasons.

it has a 33rnd 9mm mag. and it will empty it in usually 2-3 seconds. i have fired one of these. and the accuracy.....well it sucks lol single fire mode. its great....but when the two dots are involved...........nope.

any SD scenario you have that you put 33 rounds into someone....your GOING to have problems with the DA and it will no doubt be a case of excessive force.

the 33rnd mag looks utterly stupid when carried. and is impossible to conceal. so you would have to OC a 10 inch stick hanging out of your holster.

it is expensive as heck to pull the trigger once with SD ammo. think roughly $20 a box........so a box and a half to squeeze the trigger and hold it for 3 seconds......

i would love to own one......play with on the raNge.........have a a showpiece, conversation piece or just look at. but would i carry one? probably only if it had a 3 round burst capability and the cyclic rate was dropped about 100RPM :p

100 RPM? That is about half the speed of a semi auto.....

CO-Joe

G18 is overrated. What you need is one of dem Glock 7s, you know the porcelian ones made in Germany, so you can carry on durr errplanes.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Semi-auto's are what to carry to use on the defensive, which is what us folks who carry guns for self defense are. The only time you need auto's is when your going on the offense and defense, like in a war-zone!

Baseless conjecture.

Full auto would have the same advantages in self-defense as it would in other situations.

One could substitute revolver for semi-auto in your statement and semi-auto for full auto in your statement:

revolvers are what to carry to use on the defensive, which is what us folks who carry guns for self defense are. The only time you need semi-auto's is when your going on the offense and defense, like in a war-zone!

Or even repeaters and single shots.

single shots are what to carry to use on the defensive, which is what us folks who carry guns for self defense are. The only time you need repeaters is when your going on the offense and defense, like in a war-zone!

What is the difference between a shell of 3 inch magnum buckshot and a full auto .32 ACP gun with a 15 round magazine? The shotgun shoots the same amount of pellets in one explosion instead of 15, but the same number of projectiles of the same diameter and roughly the same speed are ejected.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
....snip....

What is the difference between a shell of 3 inch magnum buckshot and a full auto .32 ACP gun with a 15 round magazine? The shotgun shoots the same amount of pellets in one explosion instead of 15, but the same number of projectiles of the same diameter and roughly the same speed are ejected.

Perception............. in the battle for the minds of our neighbors/countrymen.

Kirbinator

I just want to point something out, because I was thinking about this earlier, with the story of the H&K salesman and the AC556:

When someone has placed you in fear of immediate, lethal harm of self and the law allows you to exercise your right to bear arms in self-defense (Alabama is right to bear arms "in defense of self and state") with deadly force, there is no force more excessive than death.

Doesn't matter if you're Doctor Manhattan and capable of tearing molecules apart -- the simple fact of the matter is that once the human ceases to be alive, the human is dead. Red mist or 9mm hole -- same difference. Dead is dead.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I just want to point something out, because I was thinking about this earlier, with the story of the H&K salesman and the AC556:

When someone has placed you in fear of immediate, lethal harm of self and the law allows you to exercise your right to bear arms in self-defense (Alabama is right to bear arms "in defense of self and state") with deadly force, there is no force more excessive than death.

Doesn't matter if you're Doctor Manhattan and capable of tearing molecules apart -- the simple fact of the matter is that once the human ceases to be alive, the human is dead. Red mist or 9mm hole -- same difference. Dead is dead.

+1000, unfortunately perception has a tendency of replacing reality.

decklin

G18 is overrated. What you need is one of dem Glock 7s, you know the porcelian ones made in Germany, so you can carry on durr errplanes.

You are aware the GLOCK 7 does not exist right? That GLOCK never made anything like that and the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 specifically forbids the production of any such weapon.
I can't tell if you are joking or not. I have had a number of people try to tell me it really does exist.

Last edited: