• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver Metro Area

Deserteagle8338

I've read through the old threads around here and seen some stories of people open carrying in the Denver metro, but how many of you guys open carry regularly in the Denver metro? More specifically, I'm asking about cities like Broomfield, Westminster, Thornton, Arvada, and Northglenn. I have yet to see anyone else open carry in these cities so I'm wondering if any of you guys do.

ZackL

It's not uncommon to not see another carrier unless you're at an event with other open carriers. I've been carrying for a couple years (been looking for carriers for a year or two more than that) in the Springs and eastern towns now and I have only seen three other people open carrying anything. One was a single action revolver going in to the coop in Calhan to get feed, another was while I was working and I thought it inappropriate with so many people behind him in line to talk to him about his weapon, and the other was at the gas station and I only saw him briefly talking to one of the town cops as I drove out of the parking lot.

Three sightings of fellow carriers in three years. Whenever I go up north I do carry. I have a friend that lives in Aurora and, when time and money permits, I go out to lunch or dinner with him and his wife while armed. The only places I don't carry are the obvious ones and then to my aunts house, she is actively anti and at her age there's likely not going to be a change in judgement.

As for your cities of interest, I have carried in them when I am there. Going by my old neighborhood in Arvada (64th and Sheridan) I have stopped at many businesses in the complexes there, the Wal-Mart on 72nd, a few restaurants here and there, etc. I haven't had a single bad reaction while up in the Metro area.

Anyway, I hope this helps ease your mind that there are carriers around, but we're not so prevalent yet as to be noticeable or on every street.

Keens

I started open carrying on a regular basis last summer and have had only 1 negative encounter. That was at Blu Core Shooting Center when they first opened and I had my sidearm holstered on my hip. At the time, their signs said "firearms must be cased or holstered" and they didn't like that. I get a few stares and second looks when I OC in the metro area, but those are few and far between. I live in Elbert county and it's not an issue for me out in the rural areas. Of towns in the Denver metromess, I've OC'ed in Lakewood, Littleton, Parker, Aurora, and Brighton.

Besides the Meet and Greets, I've only seen 2 OC'ers, one was at a restaurant in Georgetown about 7 years ago. I made him nervous because I kept staring at his sidearm, he got up and left. That was before I owned a handgun and I didn't have a clue that OC was legal at the time. I was curious and I should've asked him about OC'ing but i never said a word. I think it is part of what got me going OC'ing years later. The other OC'er I saw was about 2 months ago at a gas station in Elizabeth. I wanted to say Hello and maybe have a chat, but he got in his car and left right after I noticed his sidearm.

Last edited:

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I live up on the north end, and carry quite frequently in the Thornton(home area) Westy and Broomfield areas.....I think I have maybe seen one or two people OC.
Never had any issues as of yet and hope it stays that way.

M-Taliesin

Howdy!
I'm sort of an "all in" kinda guy. I don't much cater to half-way measures. So, considering that I made a decision to open carry, I do that everywhere I go. Since I started open carrying, I've been all over the front range without any permanent damage. As of this moment, I am sitting upright and taking nourishment. No problems.

I've carried open in Golden, Aurora (my stomping grounds), Arvada, Westminster, Brighton, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Northglen, Thornton, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Monument, Silverthorn, Dillon, Frisco, and about everywhere else apart from Denver. In fact, I've actually open carried within the limits of Denver because the law reads that I can carry through and 'into' Denver, regardless of the number of stops. I usually don't make many stops, but I have done them at some interesting places... like the police supply store at Hampden and Monaco... where cops tend to shop... so I know Denver P.D. officers have seen me open carry there.

The whole point is... I ain't had any issues open carrying. I know a cop saw me walking the street in Burlington, and all that happened was an exchange of friendly waves. No hassle, no issues. I've also carried when in Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming. No problems there either.

In fact, I almost take for granted that I won't have troubles in regard to open carry. I'm thinking of a road trip tomorrow to some unfamiliar territory in parts of Colorado I ain't been to hithertofore. I don't expect any troubles from any jurisdiction I visit, and would be surprised if I get anything more exciting than an odd look here or there.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

I had a great day OC'ing all day up north yesterday. I went shopping with my fiancée and her mother to get some things for our upcoming wedding. We spent over two hours at the Longmont Hobby Lobby and went to Walmart nearby afterward. Both places were packed! Especially Hobby Lobby since they are having another big 50 percent off sale. I wasn't worried at all about anyone saying anything about my sidearm, I was more worried about the grip knocking some glass or other fragile item off the shelf. It was all a non-event, no one said a thing, not one stare, and I or my gun didn't knock anything off the shelf! People saw my sidearm and they didnt care. All in all, it was a good day. Today I will be doing it all over again, just not sure where we are going this time.

Carry On and have a great weekend!

rushcreek2

My OC comments may not be specific to Denver jurisdictions since I avoid that area precisely because of Denver's ongoing transgressions upon the Constitution of the people of Colorado.

While reading the narratives of other OC'ers, I reflected upon my own "evolution" from strictly concealed carry into the realm of OC. I first registered on OCDO back in 2008 with my original user I.D. of "sandcreek" .

I heard about OCDO while a member of the US Concealed Carry forum where I had been a happy camper - at least up until the point when I began to promote OC as a complimentary option to CC in most state's. Boy did I run into heavy "flak" from that bunch ! After a few rounds sparring back and forth, one of the OC- friendly members PM'd me - politely informing me that I was not going to gain any traction preaching the right to bear arms to the "privileged class" and that I should check out OCDO.

I unfortunately have to spend a lot of time down in open carry-challenged Texas - for reasons of my wife's health- but I still maintain a home, and legal residency in El Paso County.

My experiences in Texas would seem to parallel the "Denver" situation in most respects. I try to add some common sense Coloradoan perspective to the Texas OC discussion. That sad situation is long over due (136 years) for some remedy during the 2013 Texas Legislative session.

I operate within the somewhat limited "windows" of opportunity available in Texas to actually carry openly while engaged in my "travels". I have yet to draw any attention at all - negative or otherwise. Just as in Colorado though - I am prepared to deal with the potential for adverse reactions.

It is only by actually exercising the right to bear arms that it will be preserved. That we have reservations about exercising that right should be a wake up call for even the "CC only" bunch that this critical right guaranteed by our constitutions is under incessant attack by the enemies of our Republic.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've read through the old threads around here and seen some stories of people open carrying in the Denver metro, but how many of you guys open carry regularly in the Denver metro? More specifically, I'm asking about cities like Broomfield, Westminster, Thornton, Arvada, and Northglenn. I have yet to see anyone else open carry in these cities so I'm wondering if any of you guys do.

I have. I think it's very important to make the clear distinction to our readers here that there's a huge difference between the city/county of Denver and "Denver Metro." OCing in in the city/county of Denver remains a chargeable offense. OC in the Denver Metropolitan area is fine, provided you're outside of the city/county of Denver, which includes Denver International Airport.

F350

In fact, I almost take for granted that I won't have troubles in regard to open carry. I'm thinking of a road trip tomorrow to some unfamiliar territory in parts of Colorado I ain't been to hithertofore. I don't expect any troubles from any jurisdiction I visit, and would be surprised if I get anything more exciting than an odd look here or there.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Well; if'n you are planning a visit to Grand Junction let me know, perhaps we could meet up for lunch.

M-Taliesin

Well; if'n you are planning a visit to Grand Junction let me know, perhaps we could meet up for lunch.

Howdy Amigo!
Well... just on accounta you said that, I'll make plans to visit your area this week, likely on Wednesday. It may be the last opportunity I have to travel for awhile. If not Wednesday, then perhaps on Saturday. Either way, what's your schedule look like? You holding down a day job or free to meet up during the week?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

F350

We have a disabled friend living with us, something about the move has triggered some serious health situations and has prevented me getting out to look for work so medicaid is paying me to take care of her till she gets back on her feet. She has kept me busy the past couple days and I just saw your post.

Normally it is no problem to get out for a few hours and if you are still thinking of coming over SAT, with the wife off I could certainly get out a couple hours.