• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots self in leg at Gibraltar Trade Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hevymetal

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/...-shoots-self-in-leg-at-gibraltar-trade-center

“They have a policy that no loaded weapons are allowed in the facility. They have a clearing area where they ask those entering to clear their weapon,” Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. “He was clearing his weapon. It discharged and (he) shot himself in the leg.”

This is sad and a fail on so many levels if the details are accurate.

1. Know your weapon.
2. Always point your gun in a safe direction.
3. Don't carry a .22 for protection (Opinion)
4. The gun and knife show at Gibraltar isn't worth visiting (Opinion)
5. More cannon fodder for the Anti's

Continue if you want.

I know somewhat offtopic just making people aware of what happened.

Evil Creamsicle

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/...-shoots-self-in-leg-at-gibraltar-trade-center

“They have a policy that no loaded weapons are allowed in the facility. They have a clearing area where they ask those entering to clear their weapon,” Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. “He was clearing his weapon. It discharged and (he) shot himself in the leg.”

This is sad and a fail on so many levels if the details are accurate.

1. Know your weapon.
2. Always point your gun in a safe direction.
3. Don't carry a .22 for protection (Opinion)
4. The gun and knife show at Gibraltar isn't worth visiting (Opinion)
5. More cannon fodder for the Anti's

Continue if you want.

I know somewhat offtopic just making people aware of what happened.

6. Carry your weapon anyway, don't clear it. More handling means more opportunity for an accident.
Same reason OC should be legal in vehicles.

Ezerharden

+1.

Constitutional carry would have prevented it entirely.

This has nothing to do with Constitutional carry, it has to do with the idiotic rule against carry a loaded fire arm at a gun show. Open carry at Gibralter, as of last time I was there, was allowed. Just not in the gun show.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Don't go to gun shows that make you unload. seems pretty clear to me.

Another Fuddapalooza makes the news. Why do people go to gun shows that don't allow lawful carry? No wonder the antis are eating our lunch....:banghead:

Ezerharden

Im not misinformed. Laws (and in this case, ) policies that require or force law abiding citizens to handle their weapons which would otherwise be holstered, will inevitably lead to such happenings.

Well personally I think anyone that can't safely unload a fire arm, no matter where or for what reason, shouldn't be carrying one to begin with as they become a danger to themselves or others.

This has nothing to do with the way it was carried, it has to do with negligence while handling it. The fact this happened at a gun show because policy is it had to be unloaded makes no difference. It could just as easily happened at home or at the range. It was irresponsible handling of the fire arm that caused this, not the policy (which I agree is stupid).

PFC HALE

Actually, it's a matter of time before it happens to you too. It's an odds thing, handle a gun long enough, often enough, and sooner or later, you will have an accident with one. You won't agree, prolly come back with a canned response of some sort, but thats ok. Fact is, people are imperfect, we make mistakes, and given enough time, it has to happen.

30 years of handling various firearms and nary a single "accident" or unwanted discharge...

Ezerharden

Actually, it's a matter of time before it happens to you too. It's an odds thing, handle a gun long enough, often enough, and sooner or later, you will have an accident with one. You won't agree, prolly come back with a canned response of some sort, but thats ok. Fact is, people are imperfect, we make mistakes, and given enough time, it has to happen.

Lets see, I started shooting at 14, and I am 46 now, that's um, 32 years. I have shot from .22 to .50, semi auto, full auto, 3 round burst, handled more guns than I can count. Not ONCE did I ever have a AD or ND. Now maybe in your case, you have, but to be fair I have never shot in a trailer before either.

wizzi01

Im not misinformed. Laws (and in this case, ) policies that require or force law abiding citizens to handle their weapons which would otherwise be holstered, will inevitably lead to such happenings.

Ummm isn't the trade center private property?

Raggs

So now we need to bash Boiled Frogs anytime he posts? If he is stainless1911 and it is a sure thing then ban him, otherwise give him the benefit of the doubt, someone could check his IP. I know, I know, I am wasting my time.

Ezerharden

So now we need to bash Boiled Frogs anytime he posts? If he is stainless1911 and it is a sure thing then ban him, otherwise give him the benefit of the doubt, someone could check his IP. I know, I know, I am wasting my time.

Well posting some nonsense that this would have been prevented by Constitutional carry really set the stage. And it does sound very familiar. Even if he is not the other person, and even if he were given the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't change the fact that he is posting nonsense.

griffin

Just read the article. It was a revolver. How in the world do you have an ND unloading a revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.