• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wearing my cowboy gunfighter rig, just for the hell of it.

modernknight

Nice rig! Love the look of a revolver, though I have yet to get one myself. Dad used to have a .357.

Let me know when you get to Spokane, we'll have a coffee meet up or something. Gonna be gone part of June on a cruise in Rome so :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

You can change cylinders on a Navy....real easy. Watch Clint Eastwood do it in movies....

Clint used a Remington 58 in the movie Pale Rider. There is a scene in one of the early Bonaza series of Little Joe changing the cylinder on his Navy. It is just as simple as changing the cylinder on the Remy, just have to put the barrel in your pocket while changing cylinders, or set it down. I can't remember what Joe did with the barrel while changing cylinders. I keep with me a 45-70 case with a 45 chamber scraper soldered in the end for pushing the wedge free.

I have one 58 Remy, it is always loaded with a loaded spare cylinder. I have six navies~two cartridge conversions and 4 cap and ball. I carry one of the cartridge conversions as my everyday carry weapon. It is the most accurate gun I own. I always have one cap and ball navy loaded to switch out with it if I am in a GFSZ. Replicas are exempt from the restrictions.

DamonK

Nice rig! Love the look of a revolver, though I have yet to get one myself. Dad used to have a .357.

Let me know when you get to Spokane, we'll have a coffee meet up or something. Gonna be gone part of June on a cruise in Rome so :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I should be getting over there around july-august time frame. I'd love to meet up with the local carriers once I get there.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

DamonK

Clint used a Remington 58 in the movie Pale Rider. There is a scene in one of the early Bonaza series of Little Joe changing the cylinder on his Navy. It is just as simple as changing the cylinder on the Remy, just have to put the barrel in your pocket while changing cylinders, or set it down. I can't remember what Joe did with the barrel while changing cylinders. I keep with me a 45-70 case with a 45 chamber scraper soldered in the end for pushing the wedge free.

I have one 58 Remy, it is always loaded with a loaded spare cylinder. I have six navies~two cartridge conversions and 4 cap and ball. I carry one of the cartridge conversions as my everyday carry weapon. It is the most accurate gun I own. I always have one cap and ball navy loaded to switch out with it if I am in a GFSZ. Replicas are exempt from the restrictions.

Great info, I actually got my idea for my rig from that movie. Then I altered it a bit for CAS. I plan on getting a couple navys in a few months. I think that swapping the cylinders on the remy is much easier than the colt though.

WalkingWolf

Great info, I actually got my idea for my rig from that movie. Then I altered it a bit for CAS. I plan on getting a couple navys in a few months. I think that swapping the cylinders on the remy is much easier than the colt though.

One of the problems with the Remy at SASS matches is the cylinder rod gets gummy after several matches. You may need to take a bottle of soapy water and a brush to clean the gunk out if the cylinder starts turning slow. It does not seem to be as much a problem with the Colt. Cold weather a small amount of Crisco will help on the pin. In warmer weather you may need to buy or make a stiffer lube, Crisco gets real messy in hot weather.

If you are going to shoot black powder in your rifle a bottle of soapy water for the brass will help them clean up easier when you get home. Get a factory crimp die also if you are going to handload the dark stuff, it will help the rifle feed much better than just a roll crimp.

DamonK

One of the problems with the Remy at SASS matches is the cylinder rod gets gummy after several matches. You may need to take a bottle of soapy water and a brush to clean the gunk out if the cylinder starts turning slow. It does not seem to be as much a problem with the Colt. Cold weather a small amount of Crisco will help on the pin. In warmer weather you may need to buy or make a stiffer lube, Crisco gets real messy in hot weather.

If you are going to shoot black powder in your rifle a bottle of soapy water for the brass will help them clean up easier when you get home. Get a factory crimp die also if you are going to handload the dark stuff, it will help the rifle feed much better than just a roll crimp.

Thanks for the tips, I appericiate them. I've managed to cut down on the gumming issue by using a BP substitute made by alliant. I can get through 5-6 cylinders before it starts to get too gummy. Smokes just like BP, but not much residue. Only problem is that it's missing that sweet sulphur smell :) I do plan to use BP in my rifle, and shotgun. Good tip on that casing care, I'll deffinately use that.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Didn't Wild Bill carry a Navy? Seems to me he did....can't remember for sure.
Have to look it up again sometime.

Poker and cap and ball revolvers.... Anybody want to go to Deadwood?

Yes he did. Two 1851's with ivory handles that he carried reversed in his holsters.

WalkingWolf

I have one 58 Remy, it is always loaded with a loaded spare cylinder. I have six navies~two cartridge conversions and 4 cap and ball. I carry one of the cartridge conversions as my everyday carry weapon. It is the most accurate gun I own. I always have one cap and ball navy loaded to switch out with it if I am in a GFSZ. Replicas are exempt from the restrictions.​

Man after my own heart. I own 3 '51's, looking for a good 4th and have my eye on the Richards Transition 2 revolvers.

A get together would be fun:) Not much good at poker though.........​

DamonK

Yes he did. Two 1851's with ivory handles that he carried reversed in his holsters.

Man after my own heart. I own 3 '51's, looking for a good 4th and have my eye on the Richards Transition 2 revolvers.

A get together would be fun:) Not much good at poker though.........​

Well, how many of us are in Washington? Maybe we could meet up at a central location sometime and compare notes.

Batousaii

... Conversions ...

A question on conversions.
- I have shot single action quite a bit in my youth, black powder mostly, then picked up my Vaquero some time ago. I have seen some BP to cartridge conversions, but admittedly shy about using regular (modern) smokeless rounds in one.
- Do you have to reload the cartridge with BP to keep the pressures in line with the arms strength and design ???
- When converted to cartridge, does it still remain inside of the "non-firearm" status ???

I would love to have a conversion to compliment my Vaquero, just curious about the above particulars.

Kindly

WalkingWolf

A question on conversions.
- I have shot single action quite a bit in my youth, black powder mostly, then picked up my Vaquero some time ago. I have seen some BP to cartridge conversions, but admittedly shy about using regular (modern) smokeless rounds in one.
- Do you have to reload the cartridge with BP to keep the pressures in line with the arms strength and design ???
- When converted to cartridge, does it still remain inside of the "non-firearm" status ???

I would love to have a conversion to compliment my Vaquero, just curious about the above particulars.

Kindly
You can load with black powder or smokeless, as long as you remember to keep pressures low and avoid hard cast bullets. With lower pressures hard cast does not perform well, stick to soft lead. NO jacketed bullets, they will stick in the barrel at low pressures and velocity. I use 158 grain SWC or round flat point loaded to 38 spl standard pressure, about 850 fps, which is about the same with a case loaded to the top with black. NO +P ammo. I use universal powder and a heavy roll crimp. The bullet will not move in the case in these loads but a heavy crimp IMO helps the powder burn the same each round for more accuracy. Others believe the bullet should not be heavy crimped for accuracy, matter of personal preference.

No while the conversion cylinder is in it is a firearm. Return it to cap and ball and it is a replica. Mine are permanent, the barrels have been relined, and recoil plate is not removable. The hammer was redesigned and will only work with metallic cartridges.

Last edited: