• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anybody paying attn to this case in hartford - testimony before a committee

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=7353467

Case is about if you can be sued for your testimony before a legislative committee...for defamation.

And this is why I do my own case work. The guy should have motioned to strike these counts of the complaint instead of summary judgment.

The court sidestepped this question altogether in his memo...reconsideration was denied.

I think the judge is wrong ~ why not address a single count via a summary judgment too...but its best to attack through a motion to strike; do it early and do it before you have to file a response to the complaint.
Lazy lawyering is my guess. And not an active defendant ~ he could have filed a co-appearance, pro se and filed the motion to strike on his own. In cases where I did have a lawyer, I was a co-pro se litigant able to make filings. It forces the lawyer to file motions because if he won't file a motion you want filed he knows that you have the ability to do so.

I think it creates an unfair playing field myself ~ companies can claim that they have been injured. But if a company lies - where's your standing to sue?

On the other hand, I don't see any law that does not allow a party to sue another (ya cannot sue actual members of the general assembly-they're special) if their speech at a legislative hearing harms one.

I'll be watching this case closely.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=7353467

Case is about if you can be sued for your testimony before a legislative committee...for defamation.

And this is why I do my own case work. The guy should have motioned to strike these counts of the complaint instead of summary judgment.

The court sidestepped this question altogether in his memo...reconsideration was denied.

I think the judge is wrong ~ why not address a single count via a summary judgment too...but its best to attack through a motion to strike; do it early and do it before you have to file a response to the complaint.
Lazy lawyering is my guess. And not an active defendant ~ he could have filed a co-appearance, pro se and filed the motion to strike on his own. In cases where I did have a lawyer, I was a co-pro se litigant able to make filings. It forces the lawyer to file motions because if he won't file a motion you want filed he knows that you have the ability to do so.

I think it creates an unfair playing field myself ~ companies can claim that they have been injured. But if a company lies - where's your standing to sue?

On the other hand, I don't see any law that does not allow a party to sue another (ya cannot sue actual members of the general assembly-they're special) if their speech at a legislative hearing harms one.

I'll be watching this case closely.

What does this have to do with the right to openly carry a properly-holstered firearm in public?