• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

redboneshadow

Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

Nothing worse than a paranoid cop. Criminals do not open carry ever. How long before they start pulling guns on people for traffic stops etc. By law police have no responsibility to protect in accordance with the supreme court's decision. They are simply out of control. If they have to resort to this kind of crap they shouldn't be a cop in the first place. I should know.

Schlepnier

There is no way in hell he should loose this case,
first off the officer was breaking the law as the entire stop was illegal, as there was no RAS for a terry stop. with the 45 minutes of audio records proving he was not reckless or disorderly i am suprised the city thinks they have a chance.

Last edited:

j4l

Nothing worse than a paranoid cop. Criminals do not open carry ever. How long before they start pulling guns on people for traffic stops etc. By law police have no responsibility to protect in accordance with the supreme court's decision. They are simply out of control. If they have to resort to this kind of crap they shouldn't be a cop in the first place. I should know.

Really?... Rarely,maybe, but never? im going to guess these folks didnt get the memo then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7JSTRawEPE&feature=related

xxx.jakk.xxx

So is this the Philly Police announcing on national TV that they'll be illegally detaining law abiding citizens? Isn't that conspiracy since they're planning this crime or does it have to be done secretively?

con·spir·a·cy   
[kuhn-spir-uh-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -cies.
the act of conspiring.
an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.

TechnoWeenie

Hmm...

I wonder if such treatment has anything to do with why Philly has one of the highest officer murder rates in the country.

Difdi

Lt. Raymond Evers, a spokesman for the city police, told FoxNews.com that gun owners who open carry, which is legal in the city, may be asked to lay on the ground until officers feel safe while they check permits.

If lawful open carry in full accordance with the law is in itself RAS to prone someone out at gunpoint, despite the law saying that no crime is committed simply by having a license and openly carrying...

I wonder how would the Philly police react if citizens started phoning in MWAG calls every time they saw an openly carried firearm, no matter who carried it? After all, if Philadelphia is claiming that laws allowing certain people to open carry are inherently invalid, then it would be hard to argue that any such law is valid. Cops in uniform carry openly all the time. Someone should report them to the police, if open carry is reasonable suspicion of a crime!

amlevin

If lawful open carry in full accordance with the law is in itself RAS to prone someone out at gunpoint, despite the law saying that no crime is committed simply by having a license and openly carrying...

I wonder how would the Philly police react if citizens started phoning in MWAG calls every time they saw an openly carried firearm, no matter who carried it? After all, if Philadelphia is claiming that laws allowing certain people to open carry are inherently invalid, then it would be hard to argue that any such law is valid. Cops in uniform carry openly all the time. Someone should report them to the police, if open carry is reasonable suspicion of a crime!

In some East Coast Cities calling and reporting an "Open Carrying" Police Officer as a Suspicious Character may have more truth than fiction to it. In a couple of these cities, if the department was to get a handle on crimes committed by Police Officers, their overall crime rate might go down. Especially where the Police are providing protection or information to the criminals and sharing in the profits.

On second thought this isn't just on the East Coast.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Really?... Rarely,maybe, but never? im going to guess these folks didnt get the memo then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7JSTRawEPE&feature=related

I'm having a problem with armor-clad bank robbers with fully-auto-modified AK-47s being used as a refutation that criminals don't always carry concealed, especially in the context of this incident. The poster was surely suggesting that "criminals" are not going to be observed casually walking down the street Openly Carrying in a city where the police show a propensity for checking "papers." Assuming you're defining a criminal as one with a "criminal record," for a felon to be in possession of a firearm means an automatic arrest and most likely a return to prison... and that's why a "bad guy" will not Openly Carry. Especially in Philadelphia.