• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ODU OKs GUN BAN

USNA69

At long last, the nightmare of gun-related violence on the campus of ODU has ended.

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Oliv...pageno=MQ..&entity=QXIwMDEwMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5

Now that this complete ban on the possession of all guns and other "weapons" by anyone, except for LEO, is in place ... students, faculty, staff, and visitors to ODU may go about their business anywhere on campus and at any hour of the day or night with 100% assurance that they are safe from harm.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

.....?

At long last, the nightmare of gun-related violence on the campus of ODU has ended.
Crime will be going up soon....... :banghead:
The new regulation, which was approved in a voice vote with no discussion, also bans a variety of other weapons, including knives with blades larger than 3 inches, blackjacks, machetes, straight razors, stun guns, and nun-chucks or other fighting weapons.
....... Alright, better not bring my car, its a "fighting weapon"

So, how does this ban do anything to criminals? does it make it a felony now? I am confused, I thought ODU already had a "gun free zone"/ban

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Oliv...pageno=MQ..&entity=QXIwMDEwMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5

Now that this complete ban on the possession of all guns and other "weapons" by anyone, except for LEO, is in place ... students, faculty, staff, and visitors to ODU may go about their business anywhere on campus and at any hour of the day or night with 100% assurance that they are safe from harm.

First sentence (lead in) is materially FALSE. The regulation has the force of law for the general public only in buildings and certain "events." Otherwise it primarily refers to those affiliated with the university.
http://www.virginia1774.org/RVGMUBrief.pdf

They don't do much better later on where they do admit that those members of the public with CHPs can carry. I have OCd as others have done (some w/o permits) and it IS legal - will continue to do so.
http://www.oag.state.va.us/opinions and legal resources/opinions/2011opns/11-078-hanger.pdf

G0Z

Bright side

I'm just as upset by this decision as anyone else. I also realize that some will blame McDonnell for not weighing in or Cuccinelli for his published opinion on the matter last year. However, I do wonder if any of this will stand up to scrutiny in a (or series thereof) court case(s). I recommend § 23-49.17 for some leisure reading. My expectation is such that the Universities that are embarking in this manner have inadvertently slipped the noose.

I find it unfortunate that the mechanism to end this debate over the shade of this grey will be costly to tax-payers and detrimental to the reputation of these higher-ed institutes. In the mean time, I believe we owe it to Old Dominion to affect that we make good on our collective vows to stem monetary influx. I alerted the Old Dominion Alumni Association that I would not be donating for this exact reason. Further, I am urging any with a similar mind to look elsewhere for education. The tuition cost may be higher elsewhere, though the value of our objection may outweigh it. On the bright side, the way we're going: borrowing students will repay debts incurred today with dollars of significantly lesser value tomorrow.

My apologies to the Gov and the AG if I've inadvertently let the cat from the bag. Applause may be in order if they've intentionally put these events in motion instead of "going around" the established obstacles.

~G0Z

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm just as upset by this decision as anyone else. I also realize that some will blame McDonnell for not weighing in or Cuccinelli for his published opinion on the matter last year. However, I do wonder if any of this will stand up to scrutiny in a (or series thereof) court case(s). I recommend § 23-49.17 for some leisure reading. My expectation is such that the Universities that are embarking in this manner have inadvertently slipped the noose.

I find it unfortunate that the mechanism to end this debate over the shade of this grey will be costly to tax-payers and detrimental to the reputation of these higher-ed institutes. In the mean time, I believe we owe it to Old Dominion to affect that we make good on our collective vows to stem monetary influx. I alerted the Old Dominion Alumni Association that I would not be donating for this exact reason. Further, I am urging any with a similar mind to look elsewhere for education. The tuition cost may be higher elsewhere, though the value of our objection may outweigh it. On the bright side, the way we're going: borrowing students will repay debts incurred today with dollars of significantly lesser value tomorrow.

My apologies to the Gov and the AG if I've inadvertently let the cat from the bag. Applause may be in order if they've intentionally put these events in motion instead of "going around" the established obstacles.

~G0Z

Where do you see that § 23-49.17 has or could have any major impact on this issue?

wylde007

A. The board of visitors shall be vested with all the rights and powers conferred by the provisions of this chapter insofar as the same are not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter and the general laws of the Commonwealth.
The board of visitors, taking upon itself the authority to "ban" firearms could be (and absolutely SHOULD BE) construed as an usurpation of Constitutional authority to legislate without the consent of the GA.

The general laws of the Commonwealth permit anyone not legally precluded from POSSESSING a firearm to carry it most anywhere, statutory restrictions notwithstanding.

To unilaterally deny admission to or participation in events at a public university would seem, at least on the surface, inimical to the intent of existing statutory legislation.

Best I could come up with on short notice.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Are they any bills yet to pull all authority to the GA and not let agencies an universities do this crap?

Yes! Several!

Stay tuned for the release of the VCDL 2012 legislative tracking tool. Why it stays under wraps until Lobby Day remains a mystery.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glad they aren't getting my tuition money anymore. Wonder how many other VA universities will follow suit...

Senate Bill 324

§ 2.2-4123. Exemptions.

4. Educational institutions operated by the Commonwealth in the promulgating regulations regarding the carry of firearms inside campus buildings by those not legally permitted to carry concealed handguns.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I really wish I could read legal. So that entire list on the bill are the places that could still make up their own rules??? I guess the preemption because it is a state matter is not really a state matter then.

The way I read the bill is that state college and universities could NOT restrict carry in their buildings by general public CHP holders but could for employees, staff and students. That is hardly a solution to the problem of GFZ/victim rich environment.

But yes your observation is correct: You can carry everywhere except 1,2,3,4,.................

DJEEPER

this is very unfortunate. What they dont see wont hurt them.... they can continue to live in their fantasy world of non-violence and we <the students> will live in reality where self defense is a major concern in that area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
this is very unfortunate. What they dont see wont hurt them.... they can continue to live in their fantasy world of non-violence and we <the students> will live in reality where self defense is a major concern in that area.

College administrators can't "see" the problem nor the solution from their unique perspective. :(

TFred

Last edited: