• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 3 Tiers of Police Encounters

Nicholas A.

Interesting video. It does cover a lot of good information in dealing with police in a very general view.

ScottE

Good video. Anyone that OCs should watch it. It's also good for general knowledge in other encounters.

It's interesting how much this can apply or not apply at all depending on you carry.

PistolPackingMomma

Open Carry, an educational, political, and social statement, rather than a defensive tactic...

Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
I look forward to OC everyday, it starts many questions, educates people on guns, helps bring back a lost gun culture, acts as a deterrent, let's the "authorities" know they aren't the only ones with guns, I could go on.

So what you're saying, Scottyboy, by way of your sig, is that deterring an attack is not a defensive tactic?

SFCRetired

1. Brings us back to the bottom line: Do not talk to the police.
Clarification: This does not mean you cannot respond to a friendly greeting. It does mean that you should not respond to additional questions, such as, "Where do you live?", "Where are you going?", etc., etc.

2. Open Carry may be a political, educational, or social statement, but it is, first and foremost, a defensive tactic. Deterrence is always defensive.

While I cannot speak to every state's law, I do know that case law in my state specifies that concealed carry is an offensive​ tactic and describes it as an "evil practice". Reid vs State, Alabama Supreme Court, 1840