• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pilot: As Joe Morrissey demonstrates: It's not safe for ANYONE to carry at Capitol

Repeater

Joe Morrissey: poster child of the untrained

The Pilot fears everyone ... everyone that is, EXCEPT the Capitol Police:

Leave guns outside House chambers
Whel Del. Joe Morrissey hoisted an AK-47 above his head, thumb inside the trigger guard, on the House floor during the last legislative session, lawmakers and spectators grew noticeably uncomfortable. A Republican delegate admonished his Democratic colleague to keep his finger away from the trigger.

Hope said he knows of at least a handful of lawmakers who carry concealed firearms into the House. Those weapons do little to enhance security in a place already patrolled by armed Capitol Police. In fact, the presence of concealed firearms affords an opportunity for those obviously untrained in safe handling techniques - as Morrissey superbly demonstrated - to carry dangerous weapons onto the House floor. Virginia's requirements for obtaining a permit to carry a concealed firearm are notoriously weak and require no demonstration of gun safety or proficiency.

Instead of promoting safety, the current arrangement provides a greater risk for harm to lawmakers, legislative staff members and visitors through accidental discharge. Accidents do happen ...

Yeah? Crimes do happen, too.

joe_morrisey_ak47_gun_ap_605.jpg

[size=+2]I'm untrained - therefore YOU can't be trusted, either![/size]

va_tazdad

How is it,

That a convicted idiot jailbird that has been proven mentally unstable, incompetent, a liar, and that lost 2 fully automatic machine pistols while he was CA, is allowed to handle firearms?

The Capitol Police are not doing their job protecting the GA by keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill!

Oh wait, I forgot. He represents Henrico County. Question asked and answered. Nevermind.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Clearly, the exception is intended to make the rule.

With "Fighting Joe" we have a devout anti committing an unsafe practice - have always wondered if it wasn't staged/intentional. He has proven that he will lie to make himself look better - witness how he obtained employment outside the USA.

Regarding Reid's ND - how many of these have occurred in history of the GA?

Appears this bill is a solution looking for a problem.......where none exists.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Clearly, the exception is intended to make the rule.

With "Fighting Joe" we have a devout anti committing an unsafe practice - have always wondered if it wasn't staged/intentional. He has proven that he will lie to make himself look better - witness how he obtained employment outside the USA.

Regarding Reid's ND - how many of these have occurred in history of the GA?

Appears this bill is a solution looking for a problem.......where none exists.

He should go home and clean that thing !

Marco

Here's a crime of brandishing! Why wasn't he charged?

It looks a lot more egregious than scouser's actions.

He can't be charged:

Section 9. Immunity of legislators.
Members of the General Assembly shall, in all cases except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during the sessions of their respective houses; and for any speech or debate in either house shall not be questioned in any other place. They shall not be subject to arrest under any civil process during the sessions of the General Assembly, or during the fifteen days before the beginning or after the ending of any session.

Article IV, Sec 9, VA Constitution. (bold emphasis added)

http://constitution.legis.virginia.gov/

paramedic70002

1. I would call his actions "breath of peace."
2. Cannot be arrested, but can be charged.
3. Holding a gun up in a dangerous manner is not "speech or debate."

But hey I'm not an attorney and didn't write the law. What do I know?

--------------

I guess by the argument that no one needs a gun at the Capitol because the Police are patrolling, then nobody needs a gun in Virginia since the VSP and various LEOs are patrolling.

Rusty Young Man

I always suspected the antis where working in conjunction with violent criminals, what with their common interest in disarming the law-abiding populace (hence creating scores of unarmed victims), but this prime example just PROVES my suspicions beyond reasonable doubt.:lol:

How is this guy not behind bars (and being acquainted with some of the more colorful practices we hear about;))?:confused:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I always suspected the antis where working in conjunction with violent criminals, what with their common interest in disarming the law-abiding populace (hence creating scores of unarmed victims), but this prime example just PROVES my suspicions beyond reasonable doubt.:lol:

How is this guy not behind bars (and being acquainted with some of the more colorful practices we hear about;))?:confused:
Good clean livng perhaps?