• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We are all Rambo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So much wrong with the article. Leans heavily on CopWatch thinking too.

No direct connection to OC in our daily lives - definitely not Hot Topic material.

Moving this to the Social Lounge.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Today the LEO all think they are Rambo... Rambo in a uniform with a badge and gun,, big problem for all citizens that may interact with Officer Rambo.

My .02

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Today the LEO all think they are Rambo... Rambo in a uniform with a badge and gun,, big problem for all citizens that may interact with Officer Rambo.

My .02

CCJ

Aw come on. Over generalization and against our rules.

Unlocked it once, would rather not lock it again.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I thought that the Rambo movie was a comment on how society treated Vietnam vets .. and a warning that the gov't should not treat people uncivilly ...

Yet the gov't has not learned this lesson yet ... when will they? We know when.

twoskinsonemanns

Today t̶h̶e̶ many LEO a̶l̶l̶ think they are Rambo... Rambo in a uniform with a badge and gun,, big problem for all citizens that may interact with Officer Rambo.
t̶h̶e̶ a̶l̶l̶
My .02

CCJ

there. now we can all be friends again :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by countryclubjoe

Today t̶h̶e̶ many LEO a̶l̶l̶ think they are Rambo... Rambo in a uniform with a badge and gun,, big problem for all citizens that may interact with Officer Rambo.
t̶h̶e̶ a̶l̶l̶
My .02

CCJ
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

there. now we can all be friends again :)

I'd prefer "some" or "a few"...but I can live with that for now.

I've been called a cop apologist which is not true. Trying to keep the focus of the forum clear.

For the most part, we are all friends here. That is decidedly a good thing :)

Personally, I always enjoyed the Rambo films - never took the psychology involved very seriously though. Watched for the entertainment value.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'd prefer "some" or "a few"...but I can live with that for now.

I've been called a cop apologist which is not true. Trying to keep the focus of the forum clear.

Personally, I always enjoyed the Rambo films - never took the psychology involved very seriously though. Watched for the entertainment value.

Rambo films are too far out there, and far too violent, not my cup of tea. But there was a clear message in the movie. The article some things I agreed with some I didn't. One thang that bugs me is that the media and some public think a coroner ruling of homicide is the same as murder. It just means the dead person did not die of natural causes, accident, or own hands.

twoskinsonemanns

hmmm I've never been called that. lol
I personally feel, given the narrow scope of the site, the forum owners have done a fine job in tolerating the broader discussions of personal liberties in general and discussions of attacks against them.
Just gotta remember to use the all important "some" when voicing my, uh, frustrations.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I found the article interesting. Prior to seeing the Rambo movies I was asked if I was trying to be Rambo when I stated I wanted to OC (this was awhile ago). After seeing the first movie I had a very different view of Rambo than before. While before I simply thought of Rambo as a roided out person taking on "bad guys" via mindless excessive violence, after seeing the movie I simply saw a man who pushed back after being pushed too far. In this regard no one should view being Rambo as a bad thing.

Now the other Rambo movies, those fell into what I expected of Rambo. But I felt that the Rambo of the first movie is nothing to be ashamed of.

twoskinsonemanns

Rambo films are too far out there, and far too violent, not my cup of tea. But there was a clear message in the movie. The article some things I agreed with some I didn't. One thang that bugs me is that the media and some public think a coroner ruling of homicide is the same as murder. It just means the dead person did not die of natural causes, accident, or own hands.

ugh. real pet peeve of mine when I see an article headline "Coroner rules shooting a homicide!!!!"
I can't even click the article. I only think "that article is written exclusively for morons".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ugh. real pet peeve of mine when I see an article headline "Coroner rules shooting a homicide!!!!"
I can't even click the article. I only think "that article is written exclusively for morons".

Maybe written by morons.

The media's primary goal is to generate revenue, not give an unbiased, accurate report. These days you have to skim the pond before drinking the water.

Logan 5

CCJ
Sadly, their image of Rambo is not the same as depicted in the movie. I think more long the lines of “Judge Dredd”. Remember Dredd and his brother Rico? “LAW?!?! I AM THE LAW!” was Rico’s argument. And today to many cops feel the same way.
I have had the opportunity to observe cops in their personal lives, and what I have found is that in some cases their behavior commonly replicate that displayed by Hollywood. You may ask “Is it really them replicating Hollywood or Hollywood showing how they are?”, and I would have to say they are replicating Hollywood.

Perhaps Hollywood was showing what was known of cops and their lives 30 years ago, but now it has turned around. I can say it’s because of a low self-esteem. Or perhaps they are trying tobe someone they’re not. Maybe it’s because they have minimal training in that career field. Or perhaps they are normal humans. I lean towards the last one.

I thought that the Rambo movie was a comment on how society treated Vietnam vets .. and a warning that the gov't should not treat people uncivilly ...

Yet the gov't has not learned this lesson yet ... when will they? We know when.
Initially, perhaps. But remember that perceptions change with time and changes in culture.

When I was a kid I was always respectful of all vets. WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and the other unmentioned conflicts & disputes. It does remind me of a time when I was 8, in my cub scout uniform at the VA with my mom visiting her uncle, and we saw this disheveled long-haired hippy in a wheelchair in front of the VA. He stank something fierce. He had his OD blouse with the arms cut off on, dog tags, and I asked him if he served. He gave me a look of humiliation and said “yeah”. I gave him a hug and thanked him. It brought him to tears. I was confused and my mom and her uncle told me that was likely the best thing that ever happened to the guy after he came back. I reflect on that on occasion as it’s one of those things that’s kinda burned into my memory.

In reflection of today, I think that people should respect those that served, no matter their discharge (which really is no one’s business to begin with), appreciate them for their service and effort, but don’t go make a huge deal out of it. I have seen recent vets get upset over how people give them this “special treatment”, when all they wanted to do is come home and live a normal life. I don’t think they appreciate being given the “junior god status” that I have seen a lot of people do. I watched one get angry over how this one woman was getting all (gawd, how would I call it?) “weird” over his service, and he stormed out of the restaurant. They’re not abnormal. They’re not freaks. They’re just like us.

So says the man that watched “Texas Chain Saw Massacre” 18 times (I’m sure of it)!
But you do have a point. I should have been more attentive to it. Thank you for the correction.

Just wait. Soon I'm sure you'll see one saying "Coroner rules murder a homicide". :lol:
Sometimes you have to wonder what the grade level is of those reporters.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sadly, their image of Rambo is not the same as depicted in the movie. I think more long the lines of “Judge Dredd”. Remember Dredd and his brother Rico? “LAW?!?! I AM THE LAW!” was Rico’s argument. And today to many cops feel the same way.<snip>.

I knew you would say that !

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rambo should have pursued a civil remedy to gain a redress of wrongs. :rolleyes:

That would not have made a good movie though. But, under our justice system that's exactly what he should have done.

He got time at hard labor (????) and got out to find POWs in Vietnam .. which he did. Trouble just seems to find this Rambo guy.

So he moves thousands of miles away in Thailand where his old boss finds him again. His boss is a biggest a-hole ever, right? So he goes to Afghanistan to help out that guy who is a bad actor/comedian. He goes back to Thailand after this abortion of a movie.

He must have changed his address because that Trautman guy could not find him again but these religious idiots do and convince him to go into Burma. yada yada yada, many asian soldiers dead , he gets out and goes back to Thailand.

I guess that they are working on another Rambo movie (taking years to decide on a plot [really? years?]). We'll all see it, cause we are all carriers of a little bit of idiocy.

Go Rambo !

Logan 5

All merely proof that Hollywood controls the public view.
They make the movies that feed into the discontent. And in some instances, provoke it.

HPmatt

....Personally, I always enjoyed the Rambo films - never took the psychology involved very seriously though. Watched for the entertainment value....

Now 'Death Wish' movie series w Charles Bronson is more realistic than Rambo. Can relate to the urban setting much more, however Paul Kersey was not an OC guy in NYC or LA, so this might be off-topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk