• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What an idiot!

sudden valley gunner

When someone corrects me for using my terms and want me to use hyphenated terms. I ask does that mean I have to be called European-American, why perpetuate the double standard that sets people apart? The only term I do use like that is Native American ( I am 1/4) seems to be the only one applicable. Early in our country's history the term American referred to the Indians otherwise they called themselves by their state, Virginian, Georgian, etc. when referring to their "citizenship"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
When someone corrects me for using my terms and want me to use hyphenated terms. I ask does that mean I have to be called European-American, why perpetuate the double standard that sets people apart? The only term I do use like that is Native American ( I am 1/4) seems to be the only one applicable. Early in our country's history the term American referred to the Indians otherwise they called themselves by their state, Virginian, Georgian, etc. when referring to their "citizenship"

I refer to American Indians in the historical sense as either aboriginal or indigenous peoples because the term Native American can be applied to those of us born here as well (perhaps another perversion of the language??). In fact, the Indians in this land who were indigenous were not Americans at all, but rather members of Indian tribes and nations across the land. And of course was no "America" until European settlers got here and named it. The land mass was just that... a large land mass, unnamed and inhabited by numerous Indian nations and tribes who at times, fought amongst themselves for food, land, power, and other reasons.

Most American Indians I have encounter in my life have been just like myself. They refer to themselves as Americans and/or by their state residences. If it happens to come out about their heritage, then they will generally tell me which tribe or Indian nation is their lineage. Just like myself. I never say anything about my lineage because it is not important and I am certainly not an Anglo-American. I am an American and specifically, a Virginian and a Southerner. It doesn't mean squat to me where my ancestors came from except as a general curiosity.

You are right about the colonists referring to themselves as citizens of the several states prior to the outbreak of the Revolution. And they also considered themselves British citizens as well with some (about a third) thinking of themselves as subjects of the crown.

Last edited:

PaxMentis

The irony is that the word "idiot" that replaced the offensive word in the original title had essentially the same technical meaning until it was corrupted by vulgar use. IIRC, idiot, moron, and imbecile were formal classifications for varying levels of low IQ scores.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
And yet, you will probably get offended when you are refered to as an ignorant a-hole...

eye95 is correct with the statement to which you responded with a less-than-civil comment. He was simply stating a fact. Over the years, actually in my lifetime, these definitions have come to wear a derogatory meaning when in fact, that was not their original meaning at all. I well remember in school learning and discussing this.

eye95

Since someone has taken my attempt at posting facts as an opportunity to call me a vulgar name, I thought I would post some support for that fact and see what reaction that gets.

Goddard used the terms moron for those with an IQ of 51-70, imbecile for those with an IQ of 26-50, and idiot for those with an IQ of 0-25 for categories of increasing impairment. This nomenclature was the standard of the field for decades.

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Goddard

eye95

[Since the mods removed the original content, I removed it here also.]

Maybe you ought to take the time to read ALL of my posts in this thread before you make assumptions about me, what I am doing, and what I meant by my last two posts.

The way you couched your name-calling did not disguise it.

I'll give you one more chance to prove that you are capable of civility before I unceremoniously dump you on the ignore heap with others who think they can change hearts and minds by calling names.

Last edited:

CrossFire

Guns Are Green

I am not quite sure if this thread was about someone who is misinformed enough to actually believe that guns have anything to do with and contribute to "global warming" and just started off badly or what. for the enlightenment and amusement of all please see the attached proof that guns are green.

Attachments

• GREENGUN.jpg
    GREENGUN.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 118

sudden valley gunner

I refer to American Indians in the historical sense as either aboriginal or indigenous peoples because the term Native American can be applied to those of us born here as well (perhaps another perversion of the language??). In fact, the Indians in this land who were indigenous were not Americans at all, but rather members of Indian tribes and nations across the land. And of course was no "America" until European settlers got here and named it. The land mass was just that... a large land mass, unnamed and inhabited by numerous Indian nations and tribes who at times, fought amongst themselves for food, land, power, and other reasons.

Most American Indians I have encounter in my life have been just like myself. They refer to themselves as Americans and/or by their state residences. If it happens to come out about their heritage, then they will generally tell me which tribe or Indian nation is their lineage. Just like myself. I never say anything about my lineage because it is not important and I am certainly not an Anglo-American. I am an American and specifically, a Virginian and a Southerner. It doesn't mean squat to me where my ancestors came from except as a general curiosity.

You are right about the colonists referring to themselves as citizens of the several states prior to the outbreak of the Revolution. And they also considered themselves British citizens as well with some (about a third) thinking of themselves as subjects of the crown.

Yea I agree, but I was referring to when someone asks my ethnic background, Native American is used among much of my Native family so I use it.

Even after the Revolutionary war indigenous population were referred as Americans, isn't wasn't until American expansionism well into the 1800's did the term start applying to those born hear of European decent too. The natives referred to themselves by their tribe, colonists and statehood folks called them "Americans".

Most folks I know of Indian heritage are proud to be "American" and they actually are over represented in military enrollment. They make up 1% of U.S. population but make up 1.5% of the armed forces. Just an interesting side note.

U.S. wasn't just a bunch of tribes fighting amongst themselves, and this part of U.S. history is propaganda.
The Iroquois nation was made up of several tribes, with a constitution and a political system that the colonist structured much of the U.S. constitution and political system after.

The Iroquois even encouraged the colonist to confederate like they had, and their confederation had already been in place for perhaps hundreds of years before the U.S.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Bed Wetter who wrote the stupid article said:
- Source
The NRA and its allies have not relied on data collection and scrupulously reasoned arguments to carry the day.

AN IDIOT FOR SURE.

That was enough for me to read, the rest is drivel. The idea that moonbat enviroturds use any amount of rational argument is laughable. Global warming alarmist arguments are devoid of any facts or data that cannot be easily countered with other facts, and in many cases the alarmists fabricate data and rely on emotional rhetoric.

This "author" Robert Walker is obviously just another fascist bent out of shape because the public has rejected yet another huge pile of steaming liberal bullscat.

:lol:

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The word is offensive to a group of people who did not ask to be born that way. I was simply asking the individual if he was aware of that. Do you insult people out of a desire to not be politically correct?

No. I insult people inadvertantly when they are a big enough ass to try to impose their will with an insult of their own.

Guns are offensive to people with just the right kind of retardation.... In essence, all anti-gunners are retarded, so our battle is against retards. We fight retards every day. The purpose of this website is to fight off the stupidities imposed upon us by people who are retarded enough to think they're right.

I only wonder why it is such a difficult battle.... One could say it's retarded....

Get the message? The entire liberal concept is a grouping of non-thought and neurosis. It's retarded. Idiotic. Moronic. Stupid. It isn't 'offensive' as no attack is being made. It's merely true, and less than a human being with the capacity for more should be aiming for.

Pretending to be 'offended' as a way to control or censor others is a long-standing staple of thought-crime promotion.

In short, shut the hell up. That was not inadvertent, but it was also not an insult....

Maybe impersonating the retarded should be a crime? No more politicians, yay!

buster81

No. I insult people inadvertantly when they are a big enough ass to try to impose their will with an insult of their own.

Guns are offensive to people with just the right kind of retardation.... In essence, all anti-gunners are retarded, so our battle is against retards. We fight retards every day. The purpose of this website is to fight off the stupidities imposed upon us by people who are retarded enough to think they're right.

I only wonder why it is such a difficult battle.... One could say it's retarded....

Get the message? The entire liberal concept is a grouping of non-thought and neurosis. It's retarded. Idiotic. Moronic. Stupid. It isn't 'offensive' as no attack is being made. It's merely true, and less than a human being with the capacity for more should be aiming for.

Pretending to be 'offended' as a way to control or censor others is a long-standing staple of thought-crime promotion.

In short, shut the hell up. That was not inadvertent, but it was also not an insult....

Maybe impersonating the retarded should be a crime? No more politicians, yay!

I'm sure you do insult people on a regular basis. That does nothing but make you as A-hole.

I'll shut up when you go F yourself. Deal?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I am absolutely stunned at what this thread has degenerated into.

ixtow, I am thoroughly convinced that you tend to kick the hornet's nest in every thread you enter. I'm not sure if you intentionally go trolling or if it is just your nature to bring out the worst in others.

buster81, you know better...

Back on point!

The writer of this article at the heart of this thread is obviously someone who would never be published in any serious news or commentary source outside the internet.

Last edited: