• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Gun Rights Survey Launched - Please Respond :)

CarlottaValdez

Hi Everyone -

So as many (most?) of you know, I am writing my PhD dissertation on Michigan's very active gun-rights community. This is not least because of the open carry movement in Michigan...

As part of this research, I've developed an online survey for gun-rights enthusiasts and activists. It is up and running at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/michigangunrights

The survey asks questions about your background with firearms, activism, gun-rights politics, open carry versus conceal carry and demographics. Even if I've already interviewed you, I'd greatly appreciate if you'd be willing to take the time to do this survey. It is a little long, but since there is so little good data out there on gun-rights activists, I strongly believe that your time will be well-spent.

If you have any questions about me, you can check out my (not super updated) blog at secondsmatter.blogspot.com. You can also see me on a few of the Saturday Afternoon Shootout shows if you feel like digging around on Flint Talk Radio's website. And of course, you can always PM me with any questions you might have!

Also, I would *greatly* appreciate it if you'd be willing to send out the link to your activist friends (there is a survey question on how people learned about the survey, so I should be able to track this, but please feel free to keep me updated on who you are sending it along to, as well:)). Also, if you run a blog or news site and you'd be willing to post the link, I'd be happy to send you a short write-up of my project (as well as be ever so grateful!).

Jennifer

Michigander

Filled out and sent.

There were a couple on there that I didn't feel were relevant, and I didn't fill out, which knowing this forum will be a reoccurring sentiment. But I encourage everyone who hasn't already met Jennifer from an interview or an event to note that she is trying her best to do an honest take on gun rights activism. It isn't an effort to dig up personal information, or an effort to make us look stupid. Just an unprecedented effort to show the academic world the truth about gun rights.

Bronson

I'm assuming you would like to keep respondants from Michigan, correct?

One of my other regular forums also has a Michigan section but I can make sure to let others know not to fill it out if they're outside of MI.

Bronson

Last edited:

WARCHILD

DONE!

And YES, Jennifer is very credible. She has been on SAS a number of times explaining what she is doing to further the understanding of gun rights and why we carry.

I left some blanks also, IMO, not relevant to the info needed.

All in all, good survey Jennifer.

Good luck

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I took it as well. I encourage all Michigan Residents to take this survey. Jennifer needs a large sample size to better make her conclusions and to be statistically significant.

As for the follow up, her dissertation should be available from the university she is attending. She also may post specific portions of her work on-line.

She also has a blog page here http://secondsmatter.blogspot.com/2010/08/activism-through-gun-rights-story-of.html

Ken56

Done. I think it is a good thing to collect data like this to see a big picture of the national mindset concerning firearm rights. unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a biased sampling. I wish her the best in her efforts.

Outdoorsman

I took the survey. I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here, but you should fix some the grammatical/spelling errors in the introduction to the survey. It doesn't look very good on your behalf.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Done. I think it is a good thing to collect data like this to see a big picture of the national mindset concerning firearm rights. unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a biased sampling. I wish her the best in her efforts.

Most likely, she is attempting quasi-qualitative research... a focus on the group rather than recursive abstraction. Her qualitative research would therefore be used to gather an in-depth understanding of firearm owners/OCers as a group and the reasons that govern their behavior. The focus being on "the why" and "how" of OC, not just what, where, when. Therefore, smaller, focused samples are used.

CarlottaValdez

I'm assuming you would like to keep respondants from Michigan, correct?

One of my other regular forums also has a Michigan section but I can make sure to let others know not to fill it out if they're outside of MI.

Bronson

Yup, I'm only looking at Michigan. But it isn't a disaster if non-Michigan people fill it out; there is a question about residency, and so I can easily remove the non-Michigan people.

Thanks!!

CarlottaValdez

Most likely, she is attempting quasi-qualitative research... a focus on the group rather than recursive abstraction. Her qualitative research would therefore be used to gather an in-depth understanding of firearm owners/OCers as a group and the reasons that govern their behavior. The focus being on "the why" and "how" of OC, not just what, where, when. Therefore, smaller, focused samples are used.

Thank you, DrTodd! Yes, the sample is 'biased', and that's in part the point. Since there isn't a magical list of every gun-rights activist in Michigan, I have to look at members of different organizations and participants in different forums. While I won't be able to say "X% of Michigan gun-rights activists believe Y," I will be able to say that "Of the XX OCDO participants that filled out the survey, Y% responded Z." Less general, but still meaningful.