• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted! Information

amlevin

Can anyone provide any information or news reports on incidents where a gun owner has used their firearm, fired or not, to defend themselves or others, where the manner of carry is reported?

Simply, did these incidents involve Open Carriers, Concealed Carriers, or just "Grab a Gun From a Drawer, etc.".

Rather than try and glean stories of incidents from all over the Country I was just curious about those from Washington State where we have both means of carry legal.

Last edited:

oldkim

What time frame?

So, what time frame are you looking for? How recent - within a year, 3 years, 5 years or any?

You know you the information you collect will be biased in the sense that the firearm in question was most likely used... otherwise it would not of appeared in the papers...

Just off the top -- Tacoma Mall Shooting - kid entering with AK also the guy who was assaulted in downtown Seattle near West Lake Mall. Both were CC with differing outcomes.

Last edited:

amlevin

So, what time frame are you looking for? How recent - within a year, 3 years, 5 years or any?

You know you the information you collect will be biased in the sense that the firearm in question was most likely used... otherwise it would not of appeared in the papers...

Just off the top -- Tacoma Mall Shooting - kid entering with AK also the guy who was assaulted in downtown Seattle near West Lake Mall. Both were CC with differing outcomes.

For the sake of future discussions let's keep it in recent history, let's say the last 3 years. That's not really all that important though.

amlevin

Thanks for these. I was kind of hoping for more along the lines of individuals carrying a firearm as they went about their travels and had to use them. Not so much the "Gunfight at the OK Corral" type encounters like the shootout between the Tacoma drug purchasers, etc.

sudden valley gunner

The thing with OC is it is a deterrent. Aryk, Phoneguy, and myself are folks that come to mind right away as shown to be a deterrent. But not sure if you are looking for this or actually reported cases?

I also was openly carrying (yet since it was in car not seen by "assailant") while this guys was coming at me yelling he was going to F' me up and kill me etc. I very sternly told him to leave now and he did. Ed thinks he must have saw something in my eyes that showed it wasn't going to end well for him.

Then James had an incident in Lynden where some guy tried to jack him with a pocket knife when he was stopped at a light.

Sparky508

Thanks for these. I was kind of hoping for more along the lines of individuals carrying a firearm as they went about their travels and had to use them. Not so much the "Gunfight at the OK Corral" type encounters like the shootout between the Tacoma drug purchasers, etc.

Yea, I didn't spend a whole lot of time reading them, just looked for the "self defense" part of the story......................

Hammer

Do you want any first hand accounts?
Cause I have 2, but I typically don't spray them around on the internet. There are so often many "wiser" who can tell all that was done wrong and how they would do it "correctly" that I avoid the entanglement.
But if you want the accounts, I can share more.
My wife and kids were present for one, and talk about it to this day.

amlevin

Do you want any first hand accounts?
Cause I have 2, but I typically don't spray them around on the internet. There are so often many "wiser" who can tell all that was done wrong and how they would do it "correctly" that I avoid the entanglement.
But if you want the accounts, I can share more.
My wife and kids were present for one, and talk about it to this day.

Share them "in the third person" if you want. I am interested in hearing or reading about as many as possible that involve either method of carry. The only thing I would ask is that they be factual, not fairy tales.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Here is one for you, in November 2007 in Puyallup on Meridian at a mini mart gas station a fight broke out and a young man got to his car and got inside while the perp pursue him to the car and attempted to break the drivers window to get to him, the driver pulled his legal firearm and shot and killed the attacker, Cruz.
It is noted he had his CPL in his possession.

Note his statement about when claiming self defense the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt to charge and the evidence supported claims of self defense.

Prosecutor response attached.

http://www.packing4life.com/showthread.php?t=3502&highlight=puyallup+killed

Last edited:

hermannr

I have a tame one for you. This happened in Burlington years ago. There was a guy that was driving crazy next to me so I pulled completely off the road into a parking lot, and he followed me in to the parking lot, jumped out of his car opened my door, and grabbed at me...then decided better and went on his way :uhoh:

From what he was yelling I supposedly cut him off? (if I did so it was non -intentional, I am a rather cautious driver these days) However, when he reached into the car and grabbed me he may have noticed something, :eek: don't know, he just quickly changed his mind and left.

Is that what they call anger management?

Last edited:

amlevin

I have a tame one for you. This happened in Burlington years ago. There was a guy that was driving crazy next to me so I pulled completely off the road into a parking lot, and he followed me in to the parking lot, jumped out of his car opened my door, and grabbed at me...then decided better and went on his way :uhoh:

From what he was yelling I supposedly cut him off? (if I did so it was non -intentional, I am a rather cautious driver these days) However, when he reached into the car and grabbed me he may have noticed something, :eek: don't know, he just quickly changed his mind and left.

Is that what they call anger management?

So were you open carrying? Concealed and he saw it when your jacket moved? Or was it next to you on the seat and he saw it when he looked in?

What made him change his mind? Your being armed or did his brain cells just suddenly start working???

hermannr

My 6" Colt is too big to conceal, I wear it in a big Ross leather hunting holster, it is impossible to miss, or mistake for something else. I have my CPL only so I can carry it loaded in the car. We have other guns, but I like this Colt,,,a lot.

BTW: Went to Sullys Restaraunt in Loomis last night with my wife. Not so much as a blink...of course, they have seen it before. I have to sit with it on the outside of the bench, so it can hang over the edge.

Ross holster 002.jpg

Last edited:

sigfan

Late Reply

There was my incident in Kirkland. I was CC at the time. Multiple attackers, concealed, drew firearm at low-ready position. Attackers backed off. Holstered weapon. Attackers started coming back at me. All on cell-phone video.

sirpuma

Well there was my incident, though it never made the news. Had some trespassers on my property that was an extension of a bad drug deal. One guy attacked a couple other guys in a pickup and caused them to go into the ditch across from my place. They ended up on my place fighting. One of the two guys came pounding on my back sliding glass door (this was at 9:30 at night) begging for help and saying this guy was trying to kill his buddy. I went out with my mag-light and my XD drawn. I put the light on the two guys and let them see the business end of my XD. I shouted at the them and told them to freeze (I know cliché.) The guy being attacked backed off and put his hands up, the other ran like a scared jack rabbit through my briars and out to the road where he jumped in a car and took off.

I was OC because I always OC in my home. Cops came out and cleaned up the mess.

jt59

Share them "in the third person" if you want. I am interested in hearing or reading about as many as possible that involve either method of carry. The only thing I would ask is that they be factual, not fairy tales.

It would be good, I think if we could accumulate a number of verifiable (cited), stories of self defense and better if in WA, and make it a sticky....but I would suggest that if they are anything more than anecdotal, they are just interesting reading.

Am, are you looking for something that can be traced to a police blotter or news outlet, or less?

I always wonder about the perspicacity of the stories published in the NRA mags on this kind of stuff...it almost reads like it is real, but seems sometimes to be without a good "cite" and it seems this could be prone to "trolling" except by the few we know posting on here.

I appreciated BigDave's post, with the attachment even with the redacted portions inclusive, it was validated.

Anyway, there are some websites out there, but nothing I could find specific to WA.

http://thearmedcitizen.com/wp/category/armed

Scroll down to the bottom and hit "previous" and you will find there seems to be a lot of stories.... but, I'm sure you already know about this site.

My Wells Fargo branch was robbed twice at GP in the last 6 weeks or so, by the same female on successive Saturdays with-in about 15 minutes of each other and for the sake of 30 minutes, give or take, I could well have been there, as I normally stop in on a Saturday about the times it happend....I was talking to one of the tellers in there about it...it was her first time being robbed, and I was OC'ng during my transaction and OC there all the time, but would it have made a difference?.........we'll never know, but with 11 robberies under her belt, the odds are going in my favor!

TACOMA, WA –Up to $5,000 reward for female bank robber
Tue, 04/19/2011 - 9:49am
United States

TACOMA, WA -A bank robber described as in her 30s, 5’ 5” to 5’ 8” and having a chunky build. She usually wears a hoodie, gloves, a black baseball hat, black-rimmed glasses and a bad wig giving her the tag “Bad Hair Babe”. Police believe she’s responsible for at least eleven bank robberies in the area. Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers and Wells Fargo Bank are offering up to $5,000 for information leading to her arrest.

um, .....does that count as a story?....ok, not.

But, maybe this one is valid: http://www.kirotv.com/news/27427433/detail.html

Last edited:

hermannr

They are calling her the "bad hair bandit" in Spokane now, She's up to 15 (last I heard) banks +? now, prefers Wells Fargo. BTW: Wells Fargo will allow OC in their bank, (at least here in Tonasket)