• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tri Cities meetup!

Can you be there on June 25th from 10am to 2pm?

• No chance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freedom First

THE DATE IS NOW FIRM!!!
Saturday, June 25th, from 10am to 2pm

Alright guys, I’ve been digging around and looking for a good place (nice, family friendly, public area, restrooms, cover, cheap) and I’ve found a good place for the first of hopefully many future Tri Cities OC BBQs.

Location: Wye Park off the North end of Columbia Mall Blvd. It’s a nice, easy to get to park, located at Bateman Island and has a picnic cover, playground, bathrooms and a cool walking trail out to the island. And since it's free, I'll pick up the rental fee... Description and location.

Date: As for a date, let’s do Saturday, June 25th, from 10am to 2pm. The site is free but we cannot reserve it either so I will head over at 8am to get stuff set up and “claim” the gazebo and tables. If the date/time don’t work for you, let me know. Since this is over a month away, we can be flexible. No griping later.

RSVP: I would like an RSVP from folks who will be coming so I can make sure we will have enough tables and seating. I am bringing my wife and four kids so please feel free to bring your kids too. If you have resources in terms of tables and folding chairs, please let me know.

Menu: BYOB (Bring Your Own Beef, Barbeque, etc.) I.e. Feed yer own and maybe bring a bit to share… I will be bringing my BBQ grill but depending on attendance we might require another grill. Let’s not do alcohol with the kids and firearms in attendance.

Firearms: Let's just do our normal EDC. Personally, I am envisioning this as a chance for us to meet each other, share our families and build some contacts, not a place to "make a point". But, as I am a Freedom loving guy, do what you think best. Just don't whig out my wife! :lol:

Advertisement: This will become a “Special Event” if it’s advertised to the general public. I’m not willing/able to organize or pay for a “Special Event” so we will need to keep this limited to personal invites and any notices will need to be designed with that concept in mind.

Media: I don’t really think that inviting media to this event would be a good idea. Just my take. Once we get more familiar with each other, I think it would be appropriate for perhaps the next event. We will want to be ready in case they do show up though, thus, don’t act the fool or wear the “Kill ‘em all” shirts… Signs will push us into the dreaded “Special Event” realm so please leave them at home but I’ll bet flags would be fine…

Special: We will not be able to have official speakers as that would change this into, once again, a “Special Event”. On the other hand, if you know anyone interesting who would like to share their views on OC with us, please invite them to come and have some BBQ.

I’ll be heading over there today to take a look at the setup. I need your feedback!

Freedom.First.1775@gmail.com

Last edited:

amzbrady

If I know far enough in advance I can request the saturday off. It would be imperitive for it to be Kid friendly. Any time off is spent with my family.

BTW, I talked with Greg from Griggs and he said if we need Trash bags for an Owens rd clean up, He'll help out.

Freedom First

If I know far enough in advance I can request the saturday off. It would be imperitive for it to be Kid friendly. Any time off is spent with my family.

BTW, I talked with Greg from Griggs and he said if we need Trash bags for an Owens rd clean up, He'll help out.

Same here regarding my kids. Not at work = with my family...

My wife suggested Wye Park just off the end of Columbia Mall Blvd. It's got a play area, good BBQ cover and it's easy to get to. Link
A downside is that it looks like it is available on a first come first serve basis.

While digging on the Richland Parks site, I found this little gem:
24. There shall be:
 No fires.
 No destruction of vegetation.
 No smoking within 50 feet of any playground.
 No unauthorized camping.
 No dumping of trash, litter or garbage.
 No weapons unless allowed by State or Federal Law
So we're good.

amzbrady

I'm thinking the more visibility we can get the better. We should find the biggest busiest park there is in the tri cities and put ourselves right in the middle of it. Some parks have pavillions that can be reserved for free.

Freedom First

What do they mean by an "Expressive Activities" permit?

That's a good darn question. Mime? Water ballet? :lol:

Actually it refers to political events, protests, etc. that might require more interaction with the city. "Speakers, signs and the like..."

Last edited:

Freedom First

That narrows it right down...

I'm thinking the more visibility we can get the better. We should find the biggest busiest park there is in the tri cities and put ourselves right in the middle of it. Some parks have pavillions that can be reserved for free.

That would put us on the river at either Howard Amon in Richland or over by the Playground of Dreams in Kennewick. I'll look into it.

amzbrady

If we get something definite soon we can run some flyers and see if Ranch and Home, Griggs, the place on Canal, and some of the gun shops will let us post them.

cbpeck

I'll do my best to make it. Chances are I'll be able to, but my preggy wife & 17 mo old son might need to sit this one out.

I like the idea of OCing near the veterans memorial in Columbia Park.

Howard Amon would be fine too, though.

cbpeck

Should we bump this discussion over to the Tri-Cities Events Sticky? Afterall, that's why we requested a sticky in the first place.

It's your call, Freedom First.

If not, perhaps we should let them take the sticky down.

Freedom First

Should we bump this discussion over to the Tri-Cities Events Sticky? Afterall, that's why we requested a sticky in the first place.

It's your call, Freedom First.

If not, perhaps we should let them take the sticky down.

My thoughts would be to keep the Tri-Cities Events Sticky as a clearing house for notices and notes for the Tri-Cities in a general fashion. Then add threads like this for specific events...

I didn't get a note about this over there though... I'll get to that. Done!

I'll try to get some info on specific locations up in the next day or two. Also, anyone have blackout dates when you cannot make it for sure? I know the 4th of June will not work for us.

Last edited:

amzbrady

Can you put on of those poll, vote, thingys up there, "will attend, wont attend, might attend". Do something when the date is definite. Only once in a blue moon I can get a saturday off. I need to know when your calender get artheritis and is no longer flexible.

Freedom First

Can you put on of those poll, vote, thingys up there, "will attend, wont attend, might attend". Do something when the date is definite. Only once in a blue moon I can get a saturday off. I need to know when your calender get artheritis and is no longer flexible.

Enjoy the exciting new poll! :shocker:

amzbrady

Is that the definite date? If it is I will put in for it. There is a slight chance my boss will give me a day off on the busiest day of the week. If I can come I will bring a little extra like a pack of dogs and buns, and chips, for additional kids or possible happened to stop by'ers.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Is that the definite date? If it is I will put in for it. There is a slight chance my boss will give me a day off on the busiest day of the week. If I can come I will bring a little extra like a pack of dogs and buns, and chips, for additional kids or possible happened to stop by'ers.

It's doesn't have to be definite. When would you know if you can get the day off? Like I said in the UPDATE, it's over a month away, so we can be flexible. Would Sunday work better for the group as a whole?

Trigger Dr

PasT experience has shown that a firm date gets better attendence. A flexible date lets everyone try to sway it to meet their own schedule. Best to pick a date and those that can make it will. The others will try to make it if they can.
YMMV