• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Cheat Sheet Summarized (Need corrections)

Interceptor_Knight

Motofixxer, I salute your ambition! Great resource, many thanks.

Single-family residences don't have to post signs to prohibit carry. If they ask you to leave and you don't, you can be charged for trespassing.

For businesses and other locations, the draft states, "If asked to leave, you must or is chargeable as Trespassing." If the place isn't posted with signs, it's actually not trespassing if you don't leave. But if a place is posted, it's trespassing to enter, and you can be charged for entering even if you're not given a chance to leave and you refuse..

Nobody has to post to force you to leave their property. If you are "notified" to leave in any manner and you do not comply you may be charged with both trespassing and disorderly conduct. While there are specifications on signage, the business may still notify you verbally to leave.

2. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any
part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential building, or land that the actor does not own or
occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land,
if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been
leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of
the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not
to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or
land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm.
This subdivision does not apply to a part of a building,
grounds, or land occupied by the state or by a local governmental unit, to a privately or publicly owned building
on the grounds of a university or college, or to the
grounds of or land owned or occupied by a university of
college, or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked
in the parking facility, to any part of a building, grounds,
or land used as a parking facility

Motofixxer

Very true Interceptor, posting is a legal and Lawful Notice. Which is why I posted a No Trespassing on my mailbox. May be out of place in a residential neighborhood. But it's enforceable on ANYONE I don't want on my property. It's not really enforceable unless some sort of notice has been given, either verbal or a posted sign.

Last edited:

GlockRDH

Very true Interceptor, posting is a legal and Lawful Notice. Which is why I posted a No Trespassing on my mailbox. May be out of place in a residential neighborhood. But it's enforceable on ANYONE I don't want on my property. It's not really enforceable unless some sort of notice has been given, either verbal or a posted sign.

So thats why when I stop over youre out there yelling..,'Hey, YOU. Git outta my yard!'

E6chevron

The 2 places where you mention:

Municipal Buildings (City/Village/Town hall)

Would be better labeled:
Government Buildings (State/County/City/town)

66.0409(1)(b) "Political subdivision" means a city, village, town or county.

941.235 titled Carrying Firearm in public building.
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941/III/235

941.235  Carrying firearm in public building.
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(2)(e) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

Motofixxer

Would it be better to list both, Govt building and Municipal? By the wording, it says any political subdivision of the state, is a Town "of the state"? Or a city library or community center for example? Which would that fit into?

So 941.235 also does not prohibit OC in any unposted Govt building right? So it doesn't have to be concealed.

Last edited:

E6chevron

motofixer,

If you read the 2 quoted sections in my posting, your questions will be answered. There is no exclusion for a non LEO that doesn't have a CCW.

Anywhere in Wisconsin you have the right to carry concealed, you also have the right to carry Open.

I will have a WI CCW license. I will be able to carry concealed or open in state and political subdivision buildings, if they are not posted. No private citizens will be able to carry in municipal courtrooms, police stations, secured mental facilities, jails, etc.

Here's the 941.235 Carrying firearm in public building, I didn't see any exceptions unless you are a LEO, exLEO, licensee or out-of-state licensee.

If you like, read thru the whole "trespass to land" 943.13 statute:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
motofixer,

If you read the 2 quoted sections in my posting, your questions will be answered. There is no exclusion for a non LEO that doesn't have a CCW.

Anywhere in Wisconsin you have the right to carry concealed, you also have the right to carry Open.

I will have a WI CCW license. I will be able to carry concealed or open in state and political subdivision buildings, if they are not posted. No private citizens will be able to carry in municipal courtrooms, police stations, secured mental facilities, jails, etc.

Here's the 941.235 Carrying firearm in public building, I didn't see any exceptions unless you are a LEO, exLEO, licensee or out-of-state licensee.

If you like, read thru the whole "trespass to land" 943.13 statute:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13

Another thread states that UW never has allowed OC, but CC is allowed on the grounds with permit. I'm on my phone now, so can't post reference.

Thread was "Official UWM Conceal Carry Ruling" or something of that nature.

If that is the case, then OC is NOT allowed everywhere that CC is. Not a big deal for all, but a major one for some.

Sent with Tapatalk