• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 192 - Enhanced carry permit

rpyne

Is anyone following this bill in the Idaho legislature? According to the legislature web site, it passed the House unanimously, but has been stalled since March 1st.

Is it going anywhere? I am hoping the maybe they are hammering out a change to the idiotic requirement on page 8 lines 8-16 where it requires the portion of the class on the use of deadly force be taught by either a practicing attorney or a "law enforcement officer who possesses an intermediate or higher Idaho peace officers standards and training certificate."

First, very few attorneys know squat about the use of deadly force, and second, according to my source in Idaho law enforcement, an intermediate training certificate doesn't require much more than avoiding getting fired for six months.

VanillaBK

Maybe this will encourage attorneys to become more knowlegable. You are right that it will be difficult to carry out this training. But having an enhanced program so that there is more acceptance of our permits in more states is probably good. And remember, those that don't want to go through the training don't have to, they can just OC.:D

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JK Idaho

Maybe this will encourage attorneys to become more knowlegable. You are right that it will be difficult to carry out this training. But having an enhanced program so that there is more acceptance of our permits in more states is probably good. And remember, those that don't want to go through the training don't have to, they can just OC.:D

And there will still be the old-style permits which are pretty easy to get.

VanillaBK

And there will still be the old-style permits which are pretty easy to get.

That's true. I will apply for the enhanced so I don't have to renew my other out of state permits. My Minnesota permit already expired. I believe minnesota will accept the enhanced permit when it is available. I still travel there.

rpyne

It isn't so much about the attorneys becoming more knowledgeable as it is about the cost. No attorney is going to teach this without charging at least $200/hr per person because they will be liable for the legal advice they give. And quite frankly, the cops will just see it as a way to spread their opinion while lining their pockets. It also makes it nearly impossible for those of us in other states to get the training without traveling to Idaho. Many, like me, want it mostly because Nevada is being anal.

rpyne

It passed

I see that it passed with no nay votes in either house.

Any insights as to when it takes effect and when classes will be available?

VanillaBK

Yesterday Governor Butch Otter signed HB 192. It goes into effect July 1.