• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safety gun safety gun safety... How many times does it have to be said???

BrianB

While I applaud his decision to share his foul up for the benefit of others, something like this should never happen to a properly trained individual. You have to screw up so many fundamentals for something like this to happen. Excellent example of why they should be called "negligent discharges" not "accidental discharges".

Hopefully the guy heals up quick and gets himself into a safety class ASAP.

notalawyer

How Many Times?

Usually just one personal example will suffice. I doubt this guy will do it again.:lol:

stealthyeliminator

I bet he was dry firing a GLOCK, just like the vidio shows
So that you can take off the slide...
The Official company vidio shows you to point it right into your hand as you dry fire it!!!

I think that you are right

"... A customer of ours shared these photos with us so others can learn from his mistake -- pulling the trigger on his pistol when beginning the disassembly process before making sure it was unloaded (and making sure the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction). ..."

WalkingWolf

I guess I am slow~~I just don't understand how anyone dry fires a firearm without visually inspecting the chamber SEVERAL times. And certainly never point a firearm at yourself or anything else even when dry firing.

notalawyer

I guess I am slow~~I just don't understand how anyone dry fires a firearm without visually inspecting the chamber SEVERAL times. And certainly never point a firearm at yourself or anything else even when dry firing.

Lots of stupid people in the world.

SFCRetired

One example of how this can happen:

1. Guy racks the slide to eject a round, allows it to go into battery.
2. After step 1, guy ejects the magazine.
3. Guy pulls trigger.....BOOOM!!

The reason I know about this is that we had quite a few military policemen do just this with 1911A1s. Most were lucky and shot no one. Some few either killed themselves or fellow MPs.

All it takes is just a moment's lapse of attention, allowing something or someone to distract you, or, even if you follow the correct procedures, not adequately checking the chamber.

mikeyb

stupid people are everywhere.

WalkingWolf

The reason I know about this is that we had quite a few military policemen do just this with 1911A1s. Most were lucky and shot no one. Some few either killed themselves or fellow MPs.

All it takes is just a moment's lapse of attention, allowing something or someone to distract you, or, even if you follow the correct procedures, not adequately checking the chamber.
But you see I am anal OCD about checking the chamber, I usually count to three, then put it down, pick it up, count to three times again to make sure it is empty. But I will admit I only clear it a few times a year, most of the time I leave it loaded.

Everybody should be OCD when clearing a firearm.

stealthyeliminator

I try to make it a habit to rack the slide repeatedly and "frantically" before dry firing. Meaning, I make a "big deal" out of it. I do this to try and break the "routine" feeling of it. With many things, many routines, I may be thinking "did I do that already?" and think back to the morning, or previous day even, and remember doing it then, and then realize that I hadn't done it yet now, in this instance, but I was remembering a past instance. Well, with guns, falling into that sort of routine and having those memory mixups can be deadly, so I try to break the "routine" feeling of it any way that I can.

notalawyer

No it's simple stupidity. If you understand how your firearm operates you cannot possibly shoot yourself if you have half a brain!

Maverick9

A solution that involves either a thin pencil and/or a bucket of sand is readily available.

Lock the slide, drop the pencil down the barrel until you see it in the chamber. Put the magazine away. Remove pencil.

Close slide after inserting a snap cap. Point down into the bucket of sand and flex the trigger finger. 100% safe. If it goes off somehow, the round is captured by the bucket.

notalawyer

A solution that involves either a thin pencil and/or a bucket of sand is readily available.

Lock the slide, drop the pencil down the barrel until you see it in the chamber. Put the magazine away. Remove pencil.

Close slide after inserting a snap cap. Point down into the bucket of sand and flex the trigger finger. 100% safe. If it goes off somehow, the round is captured by the bucket.

A better solution is to have more than five or six functioning brain cells!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Protocol currently being reviewed by the national law enforcement instructors group has folks dropping the magazine, racking the slide to extract/eject the round in the chamber, and then inserting a new magazine loaded with one (1) snap cap. Release the slide, thus placing the snap cap in the chamber.

Makes lots of sense.

Odds of any but the few already anally contientious doing all those steps? Diminishingly slim.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

A pencil is a good way to check the firing pin for function. As far as a empty chamber, look, look again, and then look again. You can never look too many times.

Rusty Young Man

But you see I am anal OCD about checking the chamber, I usually count to three, then put it down, pick it up, count to three times again to make sure it is empty. But I will admit I only clear it a few times a year, most of the time I leave it loaded.

Everybody should be OCD when clearing a firearm.

I was just about to start a thread about that.
Question: when you store your pistol, do you just leave a live round in the chamber, a full magazine in the magwell and the hammer back and safety on?

The reason I ask is because I carry a 1911, but my clearing the gun to store it (I can't take it onto university property) but then clambering a new round from the magazine has led to 7 rounds with visible set back that I can now never use in my 1911.

Also, I agree with triple-checking for an empty chamber (even though my 1911 has a "loaded chamber indicator" notch in the barrel hood).

WalkingWolf

I was just about to start a thread about that.
Question: when you store your pistol, do you just leave a live round in the chamber, a full magazine in the magwell and the hammer back and safety on?

The reason I ask is because I carry a 1911, but my clearing the gun to store it (I can't take it onto university property) but then clambering a new round from the magazine has led to 7 rounds with visible set back that I can now never use in my 1911.

Also, I agree with triple-checking for an empty chamber (even though my 1911 has a "loaded chamber indicator" notch in the barrel hood).

Unless I service my sidearms they remain loaded all the time. As far as university property buy a lock box for the trunk, put the gun in loaded and cable it to a frame section of the trunk. We have a lock box under the seat, plus two cables with locks in the trunk. The cables are used for guns with a mag safety, or revolvers. DA revolvers cannot fire if the cable is behind the trigger.

SA revolvers I only carry when I know I will not have to stow them in the car. If it does come up, I do unload them, or remove the cylinder.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A pencil is a good way to check the firing pin for function. As far as a empty chamber, look, look again, and then look again. You can never look too many times.

Or just a primed piece of brass.

This guy made a mistake; it only hurt himself.

Out of handling +200MM guns by citizens this is bound to be seen.

He did not get any special stitch design ... like a bald eagle pattern.

Bummer...at least get a cool scar to go the the stupid story (I'm sure he'll be talking about a gator attack or something lol)